Novice light build questions

is55

Newly Enlightened
I have been making some progress on my flashlight build. Though I have run into some issues. Let me start off with the electronics. I originally wanted to run my light off of (2)CR123A batteries, they have the maximum diameter that I can use on this build. I want to use them to drive an xm-l u2 at two modes, first low then high(3A). I looked into a shark buck remora combo but that is far too expensive. This is another driver I have considered yet I am unsure if (2)CR123A will work well with it. Also, it has three modes and I was really just wanting two. Does anyone know of a better driver for this application or even an ic.

My next questions pertain to CNC work. I plan to lathe many components of the light. I am having trouble figuring out threading and reflction. I was thinking acme threads would work best for aluminum but I have no idea about the major and minor diameters, pitch, and helix angle. My light will be a twist on so it is very important to get this step right.

As for the reflector/led housing, I have been unable to model this because I have not found a driver yet. Without driver dimensions I will be unable to get accurate dimensions of the reflector. So, I am just making some rough estimates for now. For the parabolic I was thinking I would just make the major axis twice the distance of the minor, thinking of an ellipsoid cut in half, with slight variances in the major axis due to tolerance. My question is how would you get an orange peal effect on the reflector? To me it sounds a bit complex to make on a mill. What are some ways to cut this pattern into the metal?

I have one last question. I was going to use the body of the flashlight as a conductor. My concerns are that the body, being copper brazed to aluminum, may have a high corrosion rate. I have seen what happens when you mix these materials with salt water and run current through them. I was not planning to use this as a dive light but it just seems like it could lead to trouble. Is this a legitimate cause for concern or just paranoia?

The Build: link
I will probably upload some more pics and cad stuff later tonight.

Thanks

is55

Newly Enlightened
For the threads I think I'm gonna go with a standard 1"-12.

Any thoughts on drivers?

Latest posts