The ultimate spec...

heli_ben

Newly Enlightened
Let's imagine money were no object... and you were designing the ultimate flashlight.

The constraints are:-

20cm nose to tail,
a diameter no bigger than 6cm,
waterproof,
rechargable,
90 minutes at 80% brightness or above.

You have at your disposal:-

5 axis mill,
PCB design and fab,
any parts / materials you can buy.

What would your ultimate spec be? If we come up with something really good... I might just build a few and give a lucky few contributers something very special.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
No....This thread has different criteria and the addition of gifting the end result.

:)

Javora

Enlightened
Maybe, however Corynewman's thread never really got into the size of the light. The rest IMHO was pretty much a given. Regardless my suggestions can easily apply to both threads.

scout24

Flashaholic
All right, I'll play. A 10280 powered twisty using a high cr-i power emitter like the Nichia 119v or 219B. Floody, no reflector. One level, 5-25 lumens. Should meet your runtime spec easily. An "updated" version of the venerable Fenix EO1. Make it tailstand and have a keychain attachment. No QTC, no multi-level gymnastics. On, off. Rugged and simple. Go nuts, make an AAA extender available to run 10440's for more runtime. Does the circuitry exist to run 1.5v AAA's in a pinch at reduced output? No need for another pocket rocket with no runtime. :) I'd probably be in for a couple.

Etsu

Enlightened
I wish 4sevens would make a Quark QP2A with a Nichia 219 LED. Okay, it's not "ultimate", but it would suit my wishes.

scout24

Flashaholic
Geo- I now realize looking at my post that a 10180 may just squeak in under spec length, but a 10280 by definition is too long... I liked the Peaks more when they had lower output heads available- still have a Matterhorn AAA tucked away that is about 10 lumens and has the nicest snow-white tint... I thought the only way now to get lower output Peaks was with the qtc? I'd love to be wrong... :)

archimedes

Flashaholic
Geo- I now realize looking at my post that a 10180 may just squeak in under spec length, but a 10280 by definition is too long... I liked the Peaks more when they had lower output heads available- still have a Matterhorn AAA tucked away that is about 10 lumens and has the nicest snow-white tint... I thought the only way now to get lower output Peaks was with the qtc? I'd love to be wrong... :)

I think that Peak will still make custom output (non-QTC) torches, by special order....

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a small EDC type light:

1x18650 or smaller. No multicell lights.
Full knurling over the entire length of the light.
tailstands easily for use as a candle
Electronic sideswitch (mechanically this means the sideswitch is a momentary switch, but would need extra wiring to the driver.
UI with shortcuts to min, max, 25% and off.
Moonlight mode
Light should be as small and compact as possible while still getting the job done - shave off anything that doesn't need to be in the light.
No crenelations in head or tailcap.
Optic can be reflector, TIR or aspheric zoomable ... no preference. However, if aspheric is used, emitter should be dedomed.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I see what's going on here. Check those spec requirements again. He's counting in centimeters, not millimeters :)

Poppy

Flashaholic
Let's imagine money were no object... and you were designing the ultimate flashlight.

The constraints are:-

20cm nose to tail,

a diameter no bigger than 6cm,
waterproof,

scout24, I thought that you wanted a different output than the DQG SPY. Not a bad suggestion.

But yes, the OP's length is 20 centimeters, that is probably in 2x18650 battery territory.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would have to be something that runs on easy fuel like AA so if i had no facility for charging i could at least buy AA as a get me going till i can charge up again.Would like it to be computer controlled so i could do my own levels 1) Work levels for edc Start in a high medium-high-low 2) Hobby leves for my private use.Moon=Low-Medium-High-Burst.

Last edited: