Does the Fenix HL30 work with Lithium AAs?

Dave Huck

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm really interested in the HL30 having read some favourable reviews. One concern I have is that a thread referred to the torch losing multi mode when lithiums are used. Was this a historic issue or should I stick to eneloops?

The torch will be used used on a fishing trip to West Africa and I'll have plenty of backup lights. I wanted to avoid carrying chargers and already carry lithium AAs for my flashgun.

Cheers

Dave

kj2

Flashaholic
AFAIK Fenix states they are 'usable' but you could end-up with losing the low(er) mode(s). Haven't test it myself, but there are more lights, also from other manufacturers, which have that issue. Regular batteries or eneloops are still my first choice.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Hi,

I'm really interested in the HL30 having read some favourable reviews. One concern I have is that a thread referred to the torch losing multi mode when lithiums are used. Was this a historic issue or should I stick to eneloops?

The torch will be used used on a fishing trip to West Africa and I'll have plenty of backup lights. I wanted to avoid carrying chargers and already carry lithium AAs for my flashgun.

Cheers

Dave

Are you talking about lithium AA 1.5 v primaries, or, 14500 3.7 v lithium ion rechargeables?

The lithium primaries at 1.5 v work great, with no loses in modes...and much better brightness/run time.

The 3.7 v, (Rechargeable) for some models, bump up the lumens so much you don't have the lower lows anymore (An AA light with 80 lumens on AA might give you 300 L on a 14500, etc.) My AA lights (THAT COULD TAKE THE ADDED VOLTAGE) all kept the low modes, but the low modes were proportionally brighter.

Of course THAT light might not be able to HANDLE TWO 3.7 v cells, and fry the LED or circuits....so, I HOPE you are asking about AA primary lithiums, such as Energizers, etc.

:D

If so, they will work GREAT.

:D

Last edited:

Dave Huck

Newly Enlightened
Yep, 1.5v lithium primaries. That's good news Teej, thanks very much!

Cheers

Dave

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
As someone who has this light, I'd like to get things clear for the OP. Rechargeable NiMH batteries work the best (ex.:Eneloops). You keep all modes. Alkalines work okay. You may lose some of the lower modes for a short time when the batteries are new and get all the modes after a short period of time. Lithiums don't work as well. You loose low and medium. High and turbo will work as well as the red l.e.d. If you don't mind a light that doesn't go below 100 lumens for white light, 1.6 volt lithiums will be okay for you. 14500s will fry the light.

Dave Huck

Newly Enlightened
Ok, thanks. I'm confused between the last two posts but will err on the side of caution and take eneloops.

Cheers

Dave

As someone who has this light, I'd like to get things clear for the OP. Rechargeable NiMH batteries work the best (ex.:Eneloops). You keep all modes. Alkalines work okay. You may lose some of the lower modes for a short time when the batteries are new and get all the modes after a short period of time. Lithiums don't work as well. You loose low and medium. High and turbo will work as well as the red l.e.d. If you don't mind a light that doesn't go below 100 lumens for white light, 1.6 volt lithiums will be okay for you. 14500s will fry the light.