NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Filament LED

Banned

Default Re: Filament LED

If you don't care about dimming or EnergyStar (or PF/THD), then it's easy to make a low flicker bulb.

I've had great luck with these bulbs. Finally a suitable replacement for all our incans. No flicker, ultra low dimming, great tint. We have replaced a few through the house to compare the difference, everyone agrees that these are more pleasing to the eye than our regular light bulbs. So about to order 12 more!

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Quote Originally Posted by SemiMan View Post
    If you don't care about dimming or EnergyStar (or PF/THD), then it's easy to make a low flicker bulb.
    I think there should be more non-dimmable bulbs that don't flicker than dimmable bulbs that do flicker. The majority of bulbs aren't in fixtures connected to a dimmer switch, including the dimmable bulbs. We've lived fine with non-dimmable CFLs so it is no bother to live with non-dimmable LEDs.

Quote Originally Posted by poiihy View Post
    most of the a19 bulbs i saw reviewed had a smoothing capacitor and no flicker. i think the candelabra bulbs with very tiny pcbs do flicker badly. that sucks and i hope nice places dont use the flickering ones or that would be bad. people could get head aches and stuff.
    Oh yes, the filament bulbs I tried were all candelabra bulbs. That would explain it.

Banned

I think there should be more non-dimmable bulbs that don't flicker than dimmable bulbs that do flicker. The majority of bulbs aren't in fixtures connected to a dimmer switch, including the dimmable bulbs. We've lived fine with non-dimmable CFLs so it is no bother to live with non-dimmable LEDs.
    Unfortunately or fortunately things like title 24 in CA have a trickle effect and everything ends up dimmable ... And people want EnergyStar for rebates but would say not even needed any more.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by tino_ale View Post
    What's new on those filament LED bulbs ? Any feedback on their life span ?
    Yeah there are some decent ones cropping up in the market these days. I found some company called bright goods.

I just discovered LED filament bulbs! They are fascinating!

The most efficient ones I've been able to find are made by Satco.

#S9252 = A19 6.5 watts 810 lumens
    #S9255 = G25 6.5 watts 810 lumens
    #S9269 = BT15 6.5 watts 810 lumens

Fully dimmable. The claimed 125 lumens per watt is very impressive. I wonder what the PF is like. I may be able to pick up a BT15 bulb locally, but the other sizes appear to have 1-3 weeks lead time. They have other sizes and wattages as well. These are just the ones that I'm interested in.

I was able to pick up a 4-watt non-dimmable T10 bulb to replace the 40-watt incandescent on our piano. I am VERY impressed with the light output. It's pretty much on par with the 60-watt G16 incandescent bulbs in our chandelier. I'm very much in awe of this LED filament technology right now.

Flashaholic*

When someone expresses concern about PF of a 6.5W LED lamp, I always wonder why...
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by melty View Post
    ...I was able to pick up a 4-watt non-dimmable T10 bulb to replace the 40-watt incandescent on our piano. I am VERY impressed with the light output. It's pretty much on par with the 60-watt G16 incandescent bulbs in our chandelier. I'm very much in awe of this LED filament technology right now.
    Which filament LED T10 did you buy? Our piano lamp has a 25w T10 in it. It is one of the few incandescent bulbs left in our house that gets regular (1/2 hour/day) use.
    "Your light emits unnecessary heat" - Zar

Quote Originally Posted by wws944 View Post
    Which filament LED T10 did you buy? Our piano lamp has a 25w T10 in it. It is one of the few incandescent bulbs left in our house that gets regular (1/2 hour/day) use.
    Same here. My wife teaches piano and that T10 bulb was pretty much the final straggler.

The one I got is on Amazon if you search for part no: LB5770NC4-2700K

I got it locally from the same seller (Lamps Plus) for the same price. Amazon has a cheaper one that looks very similar (part no: ZL-T10-FIL-4W-24K), but I wanted the instant gratification. There's also a 2 watt version (part no: CyiSSDN2C). I'm curious about this one because it might work to be left on at night. The 4 watt LED is much brighter than the 40 watt incandescent it replaced (too bright to double as a night light). Although, that wire around the bulb looks like it could leave a pretty bad shadow depending on the bulb's orientation.

Quote Originally Posted by brickbat View Post
    When someone expresses concern about PF of a 6.5W LED lamp, I always wonder why...
    "Smart Meters" have replaced the old mechanical meters and now monitor power factor and bill you accordingly.

I would think that you will pay much less for a power factor penalty of a ~7W LED than you would for the electricity for a ~40W incandescent.

Quote Originally Posted by CoveAxe View Post
    I would think that you will pay much less for a power factor penalty of a ~7W LED than you would for the electricity for a ~40W incandescent.
    True. I don't care about power factor.

Is an 8.5w 800lumen bulb with power factor of ~0.6 cheaper to operate than a 13.5w 800lumen bulb with a power factor of ~0.97? I'm pretty sure it is. If not then that is something to consider.

Banned

"Smart Meters" have replaced the old mechanical meters and now monitor power factor and bill you accordingly.
    No they don't. Only industrial customers.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by brickbat View Post
    Only energy star does .... But even then the requirement is not difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by melty View Post
    Same here. My wife teaches piano and that T10 bulb was pretty much the final straggler.

The one I got is on Amazon if you search for part no: LB5770NC4-2700K

I got it locally from the same seller (Lamps Plus) for the same price. Amazon has a cheaper one that looks very similar (part no: ZL-T10-FIL-4W-24K), but I wanted the instant gratification. There's also a 2 watt version (part no: CyiSSDN2C). I'm curious about this one because it might work to be left on at night. The 4 watt LED is much brighter than the 40 watt incandescent it replaced (too bright to double as a night light). Although, that wire around the bulb looks like it could leave a pretty bad shadow depending on the bulb's orientation.
    Thanks! We have a Lamps Plus nearby as well. So one way or another, I'll take a look at it.
    "Your light emits unnecessary heat" - Zar

I would not put it past utilities to ding residential customers for power factor despite already having PFC equipment installed at most substations.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Electronic meters display the energy used on an LCD or LED display, and some can also transmit readings to remote places. In addition to measuring energy used, electronic meters can also record other parameters of the load and supply such as instantaneous and maximum rate of usage demands, voltages,power factor and reactive power used etc. They can also support time-of-day billing, for example, recording the amount of energy used during on-peak and off-peak hours.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...ctronic_meters

Banned

That does not mean they will charge for it and cost differential at best would be minimal and need to be justified which it rarely can beyond a small charge that would have more cost associated with it. Technically they already charge for it. Its rolled into the price.

Pf aside, this tech would be useful in icy northern traffic lights, since the glass is the heat sink. The better to melt the snow and ice off the front of the traffic light-a surface that some drivers need.
    Some people are all lumens and no lux, while others are all lux and no lumens. Some just thank God they have neither.-- All of my lights have throw--some pretty darn far, into the garbage.

Banned

Measure yes .... Bill no.

Unenlightened

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but google led me here and it seems this is a good knowledge bank. I'm looking to make some outdoor lights using coke bottles and would love to chuck some filament leds in them. The easiest approach would probably be to buy a premade globe and hack it up and plug into mains although I'm keen to run it off a solar charged battery bank so to save on an inverter (or throwing out the electronics from the globes) I'm looking to make up my own array. Would anyone be able to recommend a good source to buy the filament leds from? Also do any manufacturers offer different sizes? Just for aesthetic options really.

Life span seems a concern from the comments here, would setting up PWM dimming allow them to run cooler? Or even a bit of a farfetched idea, I once remembering hearing about heat conducting paint that allowed electronics to be submerged I haven't looked into this but if anyone is familure as to why this would or wouldn't work it I'd be interested. Thanks!

Amazon has led filaments, as does ebay. They all seem to be of the same quality and size. I don't even know who makes them or what sizes they are made in.

In my experience, if you're only running a few watts, lifetime shouldn't an issue. If you're still concerned about it, just fill up your coke bottles with mineral oil and seal them. You definitely won't have an issue with heat after that.

Today I discovered a new series of LED filament bulbs in the Ecosmart brand at the "orange" DIY store. I picked up a 60w equivalent, 810 lumen bulb with 6 LED filaments in it. It's rated at 6.5w and 2700k.

I like these better than the other brand at the "blue" DIY store since these have clear, untinted glass so the color temperature of the light is much more useful for general illumination. However there is some flicker present according to the hum bars showing up in my cell phone camera's picture when aimed at the lamp. It's not noticeable to the naked eyes though.

I can see the driver PCB in the base of the bulb - I can spot a diode, a driver chip (or transistor, I'm not sure) and some resistors and a SMD capacitor.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    Today I discovered a new series of LED filament bulbs in the Ecosmart brand at the "orange" DIY store. I picked up a 60w equivalent, 810 lumen bulb with 6 LED filaments in it. It's rated at 6.5w and 2700k.

I like these better than the other brand at the "blue" DIY store since these have clear, untinted glass so the color temperature of the light is much more useful for general illumination. However there is some flicker present according to the hum bars showing up in my cell phone camera's picture when aimed at the lamp. It's not noticeable to the naked eyes though.

I can see the driver PCB in the base of the bulb - I can spot a diode, a driver chip (or transistor, I'm not sure) and some resistors and a SMD capacitor.
    Price? Are you using the "bar humming" app from the playstore? You point phone at light, it tells you what bar song the light is humming? But seriously, I am curious if and which app.
    Some people are all lumens and no lux, while others are all lux and no lumens. Some just thank God they have neither.-- All of my lights have throw--some pretty darn far, into the garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by degarb View Post
    Price? Are you using the "bar humming" app from the playstore? You point phone at light, it tells you what bar song the light is humming? But seriously, I am curious if and which app.
    Why does it hum? Because it doesn't know the words.

The bulb was $12.97. I didn't use any special app - I just fired up the camera, brought it up close to the lamp and noted hum bars scrolling through the picture. I've done the same sort of test using a solar cell connected to a pair of headphones, allowing me to hear whether there's any power supply ripple (hum). It's not as scientific as using a solar cell connected to an oscilloscope, so I can't quantify the amount of hum this way, but it's a good quick & dirty check. I've used this trick while checking the bulbs that are running in the store's display units.

Buttrock Next generation Filament LED

This is an interesting article that I read about next Generation LED filament bulbs. I hope that it's true.

The Next Generation of LED Filament Bulbs

http://www.ledinside.com/knowledge/2...filament_bulbs
    Last edited by greenlight; 03-15-2016 at 07:26 PM.

Default Re: Next generation Filament LED

Interesting find. Thanks greenlight.

Look at "figure 2" in that article. Heat vs lifespan. Lifespan of LED jumps RAPIDLY from 30K hrs to 300K to 1 million hrs, dependent on temp.

This is a rather interesting new filament idea also...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nme8T2yLhL0

The poster says filament on square glass. Also rather unique method of dispersing the light with the outer shell!
    Last edited by carnal; 03-15-2016 at 11:58 PM.

+

A couple years ago I switched out some burnt 'standard' LED bulbs with filament and they have been fantastic!!
    Not only is the lm/watt very high, they look great outdoors.
    ,, the number of hours driven on my outdoor fLEDs' is now huge, without a single failure.

Really see the future of LED bulbs utilizing the filament concept, I find it exciting

note:: the key is how hard each filament is driven, running a higher frequency (as to not see pwm)
    2 filament bulb @ 2.5 watts, is a fantastic light
    4 filament bulb @ 5~6.5 watts are great too

Two brands I have are Lighting Science & Sylvania

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast