Torch off! Who's got the best flashlight?!

Lord Muzzy

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone else have 'torch offs' or something similar?
When myself or one of my friends purchases a new light a 'torch off' is instantly called for!
Everyone brings their own contenders and the argueing/discussing starts...

Who's is the brightest, who has the best throw, the best tint, best spill.. Ect..
With everyone vigorously extolling the virtues of their own particular light
and feigning astonishment that no-one else can see theirs is clearly the best! :twak:

A unanimous conclusion is rarely reached but it's great fun.
This time we ended up at the Cow and Calf rocks, Ilkley in Yorkshire (England)
Fortunately there was a Pub just over the road too :drunk:
I highly recommend it as a torch off venue and 'Torch offs' themself. Try it! :thumbsup:

Torch off!

The lone torchman...

Last edited:

Lord Muzzy

Newly Enlightened
Would be nice to have some 'torch-friends' nearby :)

Yes, I suppose I'm quite lucky that my friends all have the same interests and hobbies as me but I suppose that's why they're my friends! It gets quite expensive though, as soon as someone gets a cool new torch or gadget, you've got to get one too (or one better) :laughing:

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
That pub is brilliant. There's a UK CPF meet thread, which seems to contain a lot of Torch off's. I think they're mainly held d'aahn Saauf.

Lord Muzzy

Newly Enlightened
Awesome pics and may I ask what lights are used:D

Cheers! A Skyray King had to be compared to two Skyray Kungs... No one would concede a winner although the kungs were considered brighter than the king. Also my new Olight R40 seeker against a variety of budget lights of which my mate is a huge fan (he still tells anyone who will listen how fantastic his WF800 is!). I buy them too after some research as you can get some awesome lights for next to nothing! Sometimes its a bit of pot luck and you get a bad one but you've not lost much.

The Olight R40 seeker rocked by the way, he's thinking of splashing out on one now he's seen it. I love it!

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps some of us in the UK should organise something,i belong to a r/c forum and we organised a rock climbing meet just after xmas before the New Year.About 20 turned up and we had a nice morning together tackling obstacles with our 4 wheel drive models.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I liked the part about everyone being astonished that no one agreed that THEIR light was best.

Its like driving, EVERYONE thinks that they are an above average driver...because EVERYONE simply places a higher value upon what they perceive MAKES someone an above average driver.

The guy who only gets hit from behind because he "drives very slowly and carefully" believes he's an above average driver because he drives slowly and carefully.

The guy who can do 4 wheel drifts around the guy who drives slowly and carefully, and mosly hits people from behind, believes he's an above average driver because he can do 4 wheel drifts around turns.

The guy who's light has 400 meters of throw AND 400 meters across of flood, feels his light is best because it can flood the largest area.

The guy who's light can throw 1,400 meters with a 1.5º beam angle feels his light is best because it can handily out throw the 400 meter light....and light up several meters across in his beam.

The guy who's light can throw 2,000 meters with a 1.2º beam angle feels his light is best because his light out throws all the others...even if the spot is small....as only distance counts, etc.

And so forth.

:D

D6859

Enlightened
Nice story and I like the pics!

I learned last August when I was working at a rock festival that it is common to start comparing flashlights with the staff during the weekend. You could call that a torch off. I impressed some guys with my Olight T25. This year I'm equipped with Thrunite TN12 to be sure I've got the meanest night vision destroyer :D

Lord Muzzy

Newly Enlightened
Nice story and I like the pics!

I learned last August when I was working at a rock festival that it is common to start comparing flashlights with the staff during the weekend. You could call that a torch off. I impressed some guys with my Olight T25. This year I'm equipped with Thrunite TN12 to be sure I've got the meanest night vision destroyer :D

I have just been looking at this very light, looks like a real performer for a good price! :grin2: Is it still 1050 lumens with an 18650 or do you have to use two 16340's (RCR123's)?? I'm hoping it will be full output with an 18650 :candle:

D6859

Enlightened
I have just been looking at this very light, looks like a real performer for a good price! :grin2: Is it still 1050 lumens with an 18650 or do you have to use two 16340's (RCR123's)?? I'm hoping it will be full output with an 18650 :candle:

I've come to understand that it is (by selfbuilt's estimation) 1000 lm with 18650. Here are two good reviews:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?381403-ThruNite-TN12(2014)-1050Lm-1x18650-compact-light-Review-Outdoor-Beamshots
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?381869-Thrunite-TN12-2014-(XM-L2-1x18650-2xCR123A-RCR)-Review-BEAMSHOTS-RUNTIME-VIDEO
I EDC this light and really enjoy using it :)

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Does anyone else have 'torch offs' or something similar?
When myself or one of my friends purchases a new light a 'torch off' is instantly called for!
Everyone brings their own contenders and the argueing/discussing starts...

Who's is the brightest, who has the best throw, the best tint, best spill.. Ect..
With everyone vigorously extolling the virtues of their own particular light
and feigning astonishment that no-one else can see theirs is clearly the best! :twak:

A unanimous conclusion is rarely reached but it's great fun.
This time we ended up at the Cow and Calf rocks, Ilkley in Yorkshire (England)
Fortunately there was a Pub just over the road too :drunk:
I highly recommend it as a torch off venue and 'Torch offs' themself. Try it! :thumbsup:

Torch off!

The lone torchman...
Nice photos, My Lord!

D6859

Enlightened

I was working at the same festival again. We had the toch-off with same guy. He had bought a new light and was eager to show it (while one woman was trying not to laugh at us comparing our "flahslights"). He came back and started changing the batteries. One AA. I knew I had won, so I left my TN12 at the 280 lm level. His light wasn't bad at all and with different beams his hotspot was almost as bright (though not as big) as mine. I didn't want to sound like a geek explaining him the meaning of beam angles and so on, so I let him compare the hotspots. After he had come to conclusion that his light was almost as bright as mine, I clicked on the 800 lm and 1000 lm modes. The response I got was: "Ok, f**k you." And then we went to sauna.

ike1985

Enlightened
I'll throw my hat in. My "best" light is the TX25C2vn, 1400+ lumens, single 18650 XMl-2 Dome on. Very pleased. I am not interested in making the move to 2x+ 18650 lights given the issues that can arise as, plus I want any light I carry to be able to fit in my pocket. Something amazing about a small flashlight with incredible power. My next purchase will be SC200vn (most throw for single 18650) with XPG2. To keep your lights running bright and get maximum power, use sony VTC5's and clean all current contacting surfaces with deoxit d100 and deoxit gold. I am interested in seeing how far modders can push the 1x18650 platform, I'd like to see the 2,000 lumen mark surpassed. IMO throw has already been pushed near the current limit with the sc200vn.

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great pics, Lord Muzzy. Are you taking them or is the camera on a tripod?

I live south of Watford and have been to most of the CPF meet ups down here. I can confirm that the evenings are almost totally 'Torch Offs'.

The sparring starts in the pub before it is dark and continues until everybody concedes tiredness and disappears off to their homes or tents.

Much fun! Especially when Subwoofer brings his special total output lightmeter, to silence any quibbles.

You are right though, I think we all suspect our own torches are the best (I'm convinced that my Quark RGB with aspherical lens is the most useful torch of all time...or maybe my double ended Peak...my Arc 6...etc.

BTW - new meet up on Sept 20th if you are interested?

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sparring starts in the pub before it is dark and continues until everybody concedes tiredness and disappears off to their homes or tents.

Much fun! Especially when Subwoofer brings his special total output lightmeter, to silence any quibbles.

You are right though, I think we all suspect our own torches are the best (I'm convinced that my Quark RGB with aspherical lens is the most useful torch of all time...or maybe my double ended Peak...my Arc 6...etc.

:twothumbs I can certainly answer the question of who has the most lumens, however, there is no definitive answer as to the best way to use those lumens, so the great debate can continue, and we can enjoy the process of finding our own 'best' light(s).