Deck Owners - stain questions

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm not on a DIY or related forum, so I figured I'd ask a random question here.

I recently stripped the old stain off my wood deck. It's my first deck, built by the previous owners so I'm clueless. I can't seem to find a stretch of 3-4 dry days to clean, dry, and re-stain.

My question is: is there any harm in leaving it unfinished without any protection (stain or paint) for weeks or even months? I know these finishes say "UV and weather protection" so I didn't know if we're talking days, months or years before the wood start to split or become damaged in some way.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Simple answer is yes it will harm but depends on the quality of the wood.I suggest if it has been stripped buy one of the power sprayers specially designed for the job.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Simple answer is yes it will harm but depends on the quality of the wood.

I agree. Hardwoods would hold up better longer than soft woods. Pressure treated woods better than not.
I also am interested in a specific response though.

It probably also depends, to an extent, what method you used to remove the old stain.

I've used Thompson's water seal with stain to great effect.

markr6

Flashaholic
I agree. Hardwoods would hold up better longer than soft woods. Pressure treated woods better than not.
I also am interested in a specific response though.

It probably also depends, to an extent, what method you used to remove the old stain.

I've used Thompson's water seal with stain to great effect.

There were some rough spots. Plus the pressure washer wouldn't remove all of the old solid stain, so I sanded it. I may try to stain it this weekend if the rain holds off and it has time to dry. At the same time, I don't want to rush it. Need this thing to be bone dry so I'm not doing this all over again in a few months!

markr6

Flashaholic
Just a followup - over the past month I power washed, sanded, replaced a few boards, power washed again, then let it dry completely. I just finished staining it with a dark brown solid stain. It looks great!!! Only time will tell if this product is going to hold up. I'm hoping the previous owner of my home simply failed to prepare the wood correctly and that the flaking was not a problem with the stain itself.

Major PITA project. I now know why my parents never wanted a deck.

inetdog

Enlightened
Stain flaking off could be the result of using a pigmented varnish rather than a penetrating (usually oil) stain.
Poor surface preparation with a penetrating stain will usually result in a sticky layer that rubs off rather than a hard flaking surface.

The thinking with stain that will reduce your maintainence, it needs to be applied every three or four years depending on exposure. When you notice that rain no longer beads, it's time. The sooner you reapply, the less prep you'll need to do.

I live in washington. Rain all winter, sunny most of the summer. When I built my deck I used Trex composite. I pressure wash it (very lightly) once a year, nothing else. It's uncovered, with a southern exposure, seven years old and not a crack anywhere. Bare feet welcome.

~ Chance

markr6

Flashaholic
When I built my deck I used Trex composite.
~ Chance

I would love to have one of those. Maybe in the future if this one get really bad. With Trex, is everything made out of this material? (railing, balusters, frame, footers) Or just the boards you walk on?

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just North of CG.
We've had our pressure treated deck for about 15 years now. No stain, no protection, just light pressure washing every couple years.
It will turn grey, but the pressure washing brings it back.
Not a fan of staining, as any chair sliding, or kids, or dogs, and it scratches it.

Same as our dock at the lake. Cedar and no stain. The original dock lasted 18 years, and that was sitting on the lake un protected for all those years. It was the float system that failed before the decking.

I just North of CG.
We've had our pressure treated deck for about 15 years now. No stain, no protection, just light pressure washing every couple years.
It will turn grey, but the pressure washing brings it back.

Chromated copper arsenate (CCA= Copper Oxide, Chromium Dioxide, Arsenic Pentoxide) was a pesticide commonly used in pressure-treated lumber until it was voluntarily withdrawn from the residential market in 2004. :eek: Depending on how old your deck is, it's a good idea to test it before you sand it. No telling what you're breathing.

My brother-in-law had a pressure treated deck built about five years ago. No CCA. It L@@Ked bad after three years. Total crap wood.

~ Chance