Any information on reflectors

JLother

Newly Enlightened
I am new to all of this and I am not certain I am using the correct term but here goes. I have been working with some LED's and wanted to add a bezel/reflector to increase the range of the light, specifically I want to create a flood effect. Is there any particular design/geometry that works best to create the flood?

kbuzbee

Enlightened
Yes...

Now, if you want to know what that geometry is... Sorry, can't help you with that. Designers spend a fortune engineering their reflectors to give them the beam they are designing for (flood, throw, bright spill, low spill etc) Beyond shape, same thing goes for surface (OP, LOP, Smooth, wave etc) You might try having a conversation with one of the custom guys (Don, Jason, Henry etc) and see what you can learn.

Ken

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you mean with "the flood effect"? The size of the spot or the size of the outer "spill"?

The angle of the outer spill is determined by the relation of reflector diameter to reflector depth (for a wide spill it needs to be rather shallow - a deep reflector will produce a narrow spill). Note that these statements ony apply if the LEDs has a lambertian emission angle (all commonly talked about power leds except for the Cree XR-E have this).

The size of the spot is determined by the relation of led's DIE-size and the size of the reflector. A small refelctor will generalle make the spot larger and less intense. A large led will do the same.

The intensity of the spot itsself (the "throw") is determined solely by the diameter of the reflector and the luminance (intensity) of the led. The depth of the reflector and the size of the led don't matter for this. [of course there a some other factors also influencing the lux value, but that's more complicated).