I need a good light for security job.

swamper2003

Newly Enlightened
I work security at night on a big open area. I need a flashlight with a long throw. I can't really afford a $400 light. I currently use a 2d cell maglite. I need a rechargeable one. I know maglite makes a rechargeable but I want a longer reaching one. Preferably no more than 10 inches so I can keep it on my belt. My price limit is about $250. I'm looking at the crelent 7G6CS and the tactical impulse LE1. What do yall think. Any suggestions on these or any others?

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work security at night on a big open area. I need a flashlight with a long throw. I can't really afford a $400 light. I currently use a 2d cell maglite. I need a rechargeable one. I know maglite makes a rechargeable but I want a longer reaching one. Preferably no more than 10 inches so I can keep it on my belt. My price limit is about $250. I'm looking at the crelent 7G6CS and the tactical impulse LE1. What do yall think. Any suggestions on these or any others?
The Maglite LED rechargeable and even the standard incandescent version are likely the longest throwing lights you'll get that are in your price range and quality. The incandescent model will have a tiny spot in comparison though, not nearly as useful. Really there aren't a lot of throwers. Especially in that size. Check put thestreamlight Stinger HP. Less lumens, but similar candlepower and almost as much reach, just a much smaller beam.
If you can find a Fenix TK75 it will give you incredible through, but it's big. Bigger than the Magcharger. It uses 4 rechargeable D cell batteries and has a huge head.

You can carry the longer Magcharger almost as easily as a 2 cell if you carry it differently. Use either one of the stiffer Bianchi nylon carriers, or similar, mm or if you have to use a traditional light ring, out it on your belt upside down, so the ring is at the top of your belt. That will make the light ride higher and have a little less way. Then have it further to the rear of your belt, over your back pocket and when you put the light in the ring or carrier stick the body of the light in your pocket. That will keep it stable instead of bouncing around, hitting you in the leg and whatever you're walking near.

UnderPar

Enlightened
With your $250 budget, you can have an excellent light to include its batteries and charger. Check out the websites of several brands of flashlights to trim down your choice. Klarus, FourSevens, Fenix, Nitecore, EagleTac. They have several model that might fit your requirements. HTH

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go with the Surefire EB2 backup.

The TIR optic with provide great throw. 500 lumens on high and 5 on low.
I prefer the tactical version.

Great compact size with sheer night cutting power.

You can get it for under 180.00

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would visit a blue light industry store and have a look at the lights they deem fit for purpose,the guys that run these stores know what they are talking about and many are ex blue light employees.

latestarter

Newly Enlightened
If it was me i would put a Malkoff dropin in the light you have...you wont have much more throw but will have a lot more lumens.Then set yourself up to recharge NIMH batteries and carry some spares if needed.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire P2X Fury, add a Ronac 18650 body from Oveready and you'll have a hand held rechargable spotlight!

Two output levels, 15 lumens for close work or 600 lumens to light up the night, the P2X has a good balance of flood and throw.

latestarter

Newly Enlightened
I would visit a blue light industry store and have a look at the lights they deem fit for purpose,the guys that run these stores know what they are talking about and many are ex blue light employees.

That may be the case in your part of the world...but in my part i have never found anyone who has much of an idea! thats why i read and ask here.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire P2X Fury, add a Ronac 18650 body from Oveready and you'll have a hand held rechargable spotlight!

Two output levels, 15 lumens for close work or 600 lumens to light up the night, the P2X has a good balance of flood and throw.

Have you ever worked in the night?,i have worked in the industry at one time and 15 lumens is to high as a low,op needs something really low when checking perimeter fencing visit locks which log the visit and he needs far more than 600 lumens.I would favour a TK light from fenix,the bigger ones will be over the budget but try the market place for second hand and buy a vest clip light for the close stuff.

Last edited:

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're looking for something that can put a useful beam how far? More than 200 meters real world?

The Backup isn't even going to come close. Maybe 100 meters. Same with the Fury. A great beam, and a wall of light, but it won't list up a person 200 meters away.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you ever worked in the night?,i have worked in the industry at one time and 15 lumens is to high as a low,op needs something really low when checking perimeter fencing visit locks which log the visit and he needs far more than 600 lumens.I would favour a TK light from fenix,the bigger ones will be over the budget but try the market place for second hand and buy a vest clip light for the close stuff.

Agree. Just wondering if there are other brands to consider for throw. Unless you lose lights, consider getting something that really suits you needs, even if it is somewhat over budget. When serious non-positive events happen, it is nice to have a good tool.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can put up with the head size(it's not too big, though), try to look up Solarforce M9. Throws quite far, very good runtimes too.

ven

Flashaholic
Going to throw in an olight sr51,why? well if look hard enough they are a bargain as the newer sr52 is imminent.Solid well made light,depending on carrier 123 or 18650 cells can be used and have seen the light on offer for not much more than $60.

My first thought is the tk75 as its a fantastic light,but it would not be too comfy on the hip with the large head.However it offers fantastic performance,and advantages of extensions for extra run times..............

The tk35(older has more throw ) may be another option,2x 18650 cells.The newer tk35ue mt g2 at 1800lm is not as throwy but it may be up to your requirements.

Have a look in the review section for further details.

Just some ideas,may not fully fit in with your criteria but i am sure fenix should offer a good choice as mr mcnair suggested.

:welcome:

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I Need A Good Light For Security Job.

Is this an armed or unarmed security job? If it is armed, have you trained to shoot at night with a light?

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I Need A Good Light For Security Job.

Is this an armed or unarmed security job? If it is armed, have you trained to shoot at night with a light?

I would have thought he would know that or at least his employer would.:shakehead

hydro_pyro

Newly Enlightened

I can't imagine ever going back to a physically large light. There's no need to carry something so big.

The 740 lumen Fenix PD32UE has a neutral white color (not so damned "blue" looking), which helps night visibility. It has a nice hot spot, but still has nice wide spill.

The newer PD35 has more output (850 lm) and a tighter hotspot throw, but is the cooler white color.

Both of these lights are under $100, or a little over $100 with a Lipo and a nice charger.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can't imagine ever going back to a physically large light. There's no need to carry something so big.

The 740 lumen Fenix PD32UE has a neutral white color (not so damned "blue" looking), which helps night visibility. It has a nice hot spot, but still has nice wide spill.

The newer PD35 has more output (850 lm) and a tighter hotspot throw, but is the cooler white color.

Both of these lights are under $100, or a little over $100 with a Lipo and a nice charger.

I own both those lights and they are not ideal for security work and as i live on a farm i need something better.