White wall & lux comparison: LED, H11 LL, H11+100, H9

sac02

Newly Enlightened
I posted this on a model specific forum elsewhere. A Vendor introduced his product (LED headlamps "bulbs" intended for halogen bulb replacement) and I expressed (polite) skeptiscm. He offered to send me a set for objective and subjective evaluation. So far I've only had time to do this quick setup and single-point data collection. I know that many of you already know this stuff and can predict the outcome, but I figured you'd like it anyway.

Here is my short "preview" review.

Here is the test setup that I used for this quick evaluation. Test surface is a bedsheet (I'm going to call it a screen) stretched over lumber, with a second thicker sheet behind, to reduce light bleeding through and confounding measurements. Distance from headlamp to screen is 2.1m (about 7ft, the max I can achieve in my garage, and I want to stay in the garage for easy and complete light control). The vehicle is confirmed level, and the lamps are aimed to horizontal using the pictured laser level shining across the optical center marked on the lamp lens, and onto the screen. Slightly below horizontal is preferred for driving on public streets, but horizontal is what I use for evaluation because it is simple to aim and achieve, so there is less room for aiming error putting one lamp at an advantage or disadvantage.

The camera is mounted in the center front of the vehicle and does not interfere with the beam pattern. The camera absolutely must switched to manual (settings below), otherwise the camera will try to achieve the same exposure and white balance for all shots, no matter how bright or dim the actual condition is, and all comparisons will be meaningless.

Each bulb was allowed to burn for 1 minute prior to taking pictures and measurements. The vehicle engine was running so that there would be no decreased battery voltage as the test progressed.

Img00
00setup.png

Here is the screen shot with the garage lights on. The camera is set to manual and every shot of the screen is taken using the following settings: ISO200, 1/20s, f8.0, 5000K WB, tripod mounted, 2sec shutter delay so I can press the shutter and 1) not cause any blur due to button press and 2) not be in the beam.

Img01
01Shoplights.png

Here is the screen with all lights off.
Img02
02Nolights.png

Here is the screen with parking lights only. There is enough light from the parking lights to move around the garage, but it's not really enough to show up on camera with these exposure settings.

Img03
03Parkinglights.png

Here are the stock bulbs. H11 LL (long life). I measured a maximum luminous intensity of 4200 lux at the hotspot, and 100 lux above the cutoff line.

Img04
04H11LLstock.png

Here are the Hellst LED headlight bulbs. I measured a maximum luminous intensity of 550 lux at the "hotspot", and 200 lux above the cutoff line. 550 is not a typo. I put "hotspot" in quotes because there really is no hotspot with these bulbs. The beam pattern is very abnormal in that there is no hotspot, and instead the beam intensity is even over a wide range (graphic below). When driving, this gives the impression that the bulbs are very bright immediately in front of the car (which they "kind of" are), but without the high intensity hotspot, the reach (distance) of the beam is not good. I will have more driving evaluation next week. The beam in the lower portion is very smooth. My initial impression was that there was a significant amount of light thrown above the cutoff, but really it's not much more than the other bulbs. It just looks like there is more light above the cutoff because the light below the cutoff is dimmer, relatively speaking. On a white wall, there are significant "rainbows". In real-world driving they aren't really noticeable to the driver of the LED-equipped car, but may be noticeable to oncoming traffic as flashes of various colors from the headlights as the cutoff moves through the driver's field of vision. The cutoff is well enough defined, though again it has an abnormal shape that does not match the standard shape for a VOR (or any) lamp system.

Img05
05HellstLED.png

Img051
051Luxmap.png

Here are Philips H11 X-treme Vision +100 bulbs. They are H11 bulbs that meet all FMVSS requirements, they are just designed and manufactured to tighter tolerances and to the extreme high-end of the allowable (per FMVSS/SAE) output for H11 bulbs. I measured a maximum luminous intensity of 5350 lux at the hotspot, and 130 lux above the cutoff line. The tradeoff for increased output in this bulb is increased cost and reduced life compared to the H11 LL.

Img06
06PhilipsH11X-tremeVision100.png

Here is a popular bulb swap for H11 bulbs, the H9. This swap is technically not legal, though some debate the actual safety implications of the swap. The H9 has higher output and is not sheilded like the H11 is. In a reflector-type lamp, this will certainly cause uncomfortable glare for oncoming drivers and I would not recommend it. In the mazda5 projector housings, there is a bit more noticable glare, and the amount of light thrown above the cutoff is equal to the Hellst LED's as the most in the test. If that is an objectionable amount is debateable. It is certainly borderline, in my opinion. I measured a maximum luminous intensity of 6350 lux at the hotspot, and 200 lux above the cutoff line.

Img07
07H9.png

Here is a comparison pic of the four bulbs.
Img10
4bulbcomparison.png

And a comparison chart. It is fair to note that this chart only indicates maximum hotspot brightness, which primarily correlates to beam reach. This chart does not reflect any other aspect of lamp performance.

Img11
11chart.png

Here are the high beams as a reference. I measured a maximum luminous intensity of 14,600 lux at the hotspot.

Img08
08Hibeams.png

I will do a full drive evaluation of all bulbs later. I will evaluate beam intensity, reach, dispersion, evenness, and cuttoff in real-world driving. My qualifications include 1) being a nerd who likes automotive lighting and flashlights as a hobby, and 2) Before my current OEM QC job, I previously worked for the same major OEM as a design/evaluation engineer for Automotive lighting and did this exact type of thing on a regular basis as a part of my job (though admittedly only for about a year).

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Great stuff! Your experience with the "LED bulb conversion" type products matches mine. This is another product like an "HID kit" -- a headlamp cannot possibly work correctly or safely with it, no matter what features are claimed or brand is used.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
This LEDs look horrible. The only way I can see a LED conversion working would be a complete assembly swap, and that would be so expensive not many people would be interested. I mean change GI g the entire headlight body, not just replacing a bulb.
Just like ther other LED replacements. The comp, etc tail light swap are pretty good, but over $200. Most people will want to get the drop in bulbs and think it's good.
Dome and maps lights sure. The cargo light on pickups, fine. Drop in bulbs for turn signals or stop lights, not so good.

GatorJZ

Newly Enlightened
Great job, OP. Please host these photographs for as long as possible as I intend to post a link to this thread on some of the car model specific boards I visit where these "kits" are being hailed as the latest greatest advancement in automotive lighting.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Sac02, just FYI I converted your lux numbers to candela (distance x distance x lux) and the results pass the reality test, though I suspect your measurements above the cutoff might have been picking up some below-cutoff light as well. You could add the candela numbers to your chart, if you feel like it; candela is the more common unit for discussions like this at least in North America.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
That "Powered by Website Builder from GoDaddy.com" badge lends a real touch of gravitas to the Hellst site. Makes me want to order a brazilian of their products...

irsa76

Newly Enlightened
The high beam capture looks like the lows were still on, right?
Pretty normal with single filament lights these days to run both high and low beam together. I personally find it annoying, at least with my car which as extremely good low beam, and average high beam.

I would be interested to see how a cheap HID drop in kit would fare in this test, to get some actual numbers to back up my earlier observations with the kit I tested last year.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the lows to stay on with the highs.
But I wanted to see what the intensity of just the highs is [ideally there would be no 'contamination' with a perfect projector cutoff, but there is light from the cutouts to light up overhead signs], and that might mean unplugging the lows for the capture.
and you get to see the pure distribution of the high beams too.

sac02

Newly Enlightened
I have been BUSY at work and weekends and have had little time to follow up on this, sorry. I plan to do my night "real world" driving evaluation this weekend.

Sac02, just FYI I converted your lux numbers to candela (distance x distance x lux) and the results pass the reality test, though I suspect your measurements above the cutoff might have been picking up some below-cutoff light as well. You could add the candela numbers to your chart, if you feel like it; candela is the more common unit for discussions like this at least in North America.

I can add candella to the chart, likely when I go to do the write-up for the drive. FYI: the screen measured ~2.1m from the lens, but the lux meter taking the measurement measured exactly 1.9m from the lens (in front of the screen) - so use 1.9m in your conversion, not 2.1 (If you use 2.1m, the candella numbers will be higher than actual)

The high beam capture looks like the lows were still on, right?
Yes

I would be interested to see how a cheap HID drop in kit would fare in this test, to get some actual numbers to back up my earlier observations with the kit I tested last year.

My shipping address is... but seriously, I would test them if you sent them to me. I just don't want to pay for them, because I wouldn't intend to keep them, and I'm not QUITE curious enough to want to spend the money.

... But I wanted to see what the intensity of just the highs is [ideally there would be no 'contamination' with a perfect projector cutoff, but there is light from the cutouts to light up overhead signs], and that might mean unplugging the lows for the capture.
I didn't really even consider that, and I probably won't go back and do it either. I don't see the point, other than intense curiosity about the high beam pattern alone. You never drive in that condition, so the condition that I photographed and measured is what you will experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
the lux meter taking the measurement measured exactly 1.9m from the lens (in front of the screen) - so use 1.9m in your conversion, not 2.1 (If you use 2.1m, the candella numbers will be higher than actual)

That would probably explain what I was seeing in my candela conversions of the above-cutoff numbers. Rerunning the calculations with 1.9, all the below-cutoff numbers still look realistic and the above-cutoff numbers look more realistic.