Best light weight, smaller sized LED Flashlight?

CMA

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased some cheap UltraFire flashlights for use in Search and Rescue. These are really bright (description on Amazon says 2000 lumens although I don't believe it). I purchased these because we are a volunteer service and have limited funding and they are cheap. I'm wondering, if money were not a factor, what would be the best smaller in size, light weight LED flashlight that throws a good amount of light and will not drain the batteries after 30 minutes of continuous use? When I say small, I mean something not much longer that 6" or 7" and doesn't weigh a lot. Weight really is a factor when we have our packs full and are travelling long distances over steep terrain. Thanks.

CMA

Newly Enlightened
Sorry. I guess I should have posted this in the "Recommend Me A Light For" section. Maybe a moderator can move it? Thanks.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
You didn't mention what type of battery. Lithium Ion powered lights will give you more output per weight than alkaline or NiMH batteries. I don't like spending money on lithium primaries so my favorite lights are the ones powered by a 18650 rechargeable lithium ion battery.

So I'd look at the Fenix PD35. There are a lot more expensive lights but I think this offers good value for the price.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
My advice look to what professional search and rescue are issued with and if possible arrange for one of there members to visit your group and demonstrate the light they use and why it was selected for use.There may well be some introductory discount for the emergency service industry.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at the Convoy S1 and S2. They run on 18650 only and are inexpensive but pretty well made.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
My advice look to what professional search and rescue are issued with and if possible arrange for one of there members to visit your group and demonstrate the light they use and why it was selected for use.There may well be some introductory discount for the emergency service industry.

:crackup:

I DO search and rescue/disaster response, and they "issue" the plastic things you bang on to make them stay lit.

Its one of the reasons I buy my own lights for me and my guys, etc.

Seriously, I have to go to England sometime, its sounds like a wonderful place.

:D

calflash

Enlightened
You might take this with a grain of salt since I have no s&r experience but I have read elsewhere that you will want a light that has the option of replacing the batteries in the field since recharging may not be an option. With that in mind, it would be good to look at CR123 lights or perhaps AA lights. The lithium batteries are pricey but the price seems the lesser of the problems if your out longer than you expected and run out of juice.

If price isn't an option, I'd recommend an elzetta or a malkoff. Good runtime, tough as nails, great support and reputation, and flexible output options.

Last edited:

WebHobbit

Enlightened
I agree...I think I'd go with:

Malkoff MD2 with 18650 loaded in light and some USA made 123s in a watertight plastic box for backup. Elzetta and Surefire are other good options. All of these will cost some bucks but will last "forever".