Why is the PD30 still so expensive?

weegidy

Newly Enlightened
I used to have a PD30 and it was my favorite light. I lost it a while back. Even though I have a collection of other "newer" and "better" lights I still miss the small and easy to carry PD30.

I have been looking to replace it, but it is still $60-$80 online, and that seems like a lot given some of the newer PD series lights are cheaper than that. Why is the PD30 still so expensive?

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
No one on this board can give you the answer as that is the decision of the maker concerned,armchair enthusiasts answers can only be a guess and nothing more.Is it still made ? as Fenix UK do not list it.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Supply and demand. It's discontinued, but the demand appears to still be there. Their are a limited number of it left which drives up the price. Similar situation happened with LEEF products and certain surefire items.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
You see this kind of thing all the time when models are rapidly upgraded at the same time there is price competition. The newer models get the lower price but few people bother to reprice the old stuff -- until a lot of time has passed and they have to dump remaining stock. The more sophisticated sellers put old models on sale when the new ones come out but the MSRP doesn't change.

The PD line is also better made than many competitors lights and has higher prices in general than many.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
The advantage (or disadvantage to many) of the PD30 is it's compact form factor because it is not 18650 compatible. So it may not be as simple as just getting the newer model like the PD35, which is huge compared to the 30.

Seattle Sparky

Newly Enlightened
PD31 is my favorite out this line due to its compact size, 18650 or cr123, the tail switch(no side mode switches as on pd32,35) and a longer throw than pd32ue. The only subjective downside one may see is is a bluish tint.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
... The newer models get the lower price but few people bother to reprice the old stuff -- until a lot of time has passed and they have to dump remaining stock. The more sophisticated sellers put old models on sale when the new ones come out but the MSRP doesn't change...

+1

I recently bought a LD20. It's also discontinued but can be found at some places but often more expensive than the newer LD22.
Found it at amazon for an acceptible price.

weegidy

Newly Enlightened
So just a variety of reasons? But it seems like many lights get cheaper as they are discontinued/get older. For example, my TK45 (which I also love) is "only" $106 when I think I paid closer to $150 when it was still new. I just love the PD30 so much, but I don't think it's worth paying $50+ for an XPG light.

Illum

Flashaholic
The material cost [reflected in market price] required to make a light [or any product] does not diminish over time. Until it is sold as a used light, the cost usually does not factor in depreciation.

Would you believe until they pulled that link LEDSupply was still selling LuxV stars for $30+shipping?

jimboutilier

Enlightened
A couple current lights with similar controls and form factor but brighter and current LEDs are
- Foursevens Quark Pro QP2 series(I like the X with burst mode best)
- EagleTac D25C2

I loved my PD30 and did not like the longer thicker successors. But the above are very very close to the PD30. Not cheaper but up to date and similar in size.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The material cost [reflected in market price] required to make a light [or any product] does not diminish over time. Until it is sold as a used light, the cost usually does not factor in depreciation.
As originally designed, no. It can if your R&D department undergoes DFM (Design For Manufacturing) revision cycles: the material quantities, material qualities, and number of operations can be reduced without compromising functionality - making the product cheaper to manufacture. In a competitive market this may mean that the savings get passed onto the consumer ... in a not so competitive market the manufacturer simply increases their profits.