TM36 — New Throw King?

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened
Claiming one full kilometer throw at 1800 lumens. That beats the TK61.

http://www.nitecore.com/UploadFile/Files/download/1-1_NC2014_Catalog_En_140128_web.pdf

2a85dgh.jpg

ven

Flashaholic
I am still unsure,i do like the tm series a lot,i love my tm15 a lot,its a great light and tiny monster is appropriate as.............well its tiny for the output although the tm26 is smaller and more powerful.

This is not tiny but then again neither is the tk61,on paper its almost double the lumens over the tk61,not sure on reflector difference regarding size..........

The fenix has the options of various cells,not a pack,also extensions available and can fit the tk75/76 too so lots of flexibility.

The nitecore pack fits other tm lights but it is expensive,not much off the cost of a tk61.........

I have a feeling its going to be at least $300,maybe $400 which imho would be too much.

Now if it could be modified by vinh for example and dependent on total cost i could be swayed.

Having the tk61vn which does out throw the tm36 there imo is not much point in me buying a standard version but admittedly the oled display is a winner.

So back to the start...........i am unsure :laughing:

I have said before it would be good if you could buy the heads,be it a tm11 or tm26/tm36 so one pack required and offers good variety,this imo would be a great idea..........but thats me.

Also the 1hr run time on 1800lm to me is not good enough...........going off the manufacturers figures.

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened
I am still unsure,i do like the tm series a lot,i love my tm15 a lot,its a great light and tiny monster is appropriate as.............well its tiny for the output although the tm26 is smaller and more powerful.

This is not tiny but then again neither is the tk61,on paper its almost double the lumens over the tk61,not sure on reflector difference regarding size..........

The fenix has the options of various cells,not a pack,also extensions available and can fit the tk75/76 too so lots of flexibility.

The nitecore pack fits other tm lights but it is expensive,not much off the cost of a tk61.........

I have a feeling its going to be at least $300,maybe $400 which imho would be too much.

Now if it could be modified by vinh for example and dependent on total cost i could be swayed.

Having the tk61vn which does out throw the tm36 there imo is not much point in me buying a standard version but admittedly the oled display is a winner.

So back to the start...........i am unsure :laughing:

I have said before it would be good if you could buy the heads,be it a tm11 or tm26/tm36 so one pack required and offers good variety,this imo would be a great idea..........but thats me.

Also the 1hr run time on 1800lm to me is not good enough...........going off the manufacturers figures.

Fenix states on its site that the TK61 throws 824 meters. That's still a bit less than 1000 for the tm36.

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want an excellent thrower then tk61vn is the one to get,it will be cheaper,it does throw further:)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...WTS-TK61vn-Throw-King-1735-ANSI-Lumen-622-KCD

If you aren't in a hurry, I'd definitely suggest waiting for the TM36 to come out, and see what Vinh can do with it. The baseline TM36 looks like it should out-throw the stock TK61, so there is a decent to good chance the modded version will also be a better thrower. Comparing a stock light to a Vinh-modded light isn't really fair.

And after owning a TM26, I can say that OLED is a wonderful feature. After I use it a bit, I hate going back to other lights without it. It may or may not be more expensive, but even if the TM36 is more, I'd gladly pay a premium for the display. It just makes using it so much more convenient.

ven

Flashaholic
True but not sure how easy to mod as of past i dont recall too many tm series being modded.

It was more a comparison for the money as no doubt the tm36 will be expensive with the cell pack,not saying it is not worth it but they do command a hefty premium of past.

I am interested in the tm36 a bit,just the pack side of it i am not keen on as prefer to choose my cells and if it needs charging your without a light(unless the body of the other tm lights fit) but would no doubt look odd.Or extra expense of which i would not be prepared on another pack.

The oled display is defo a seller,its a great bit of innovation and dont know why more manufacturers have not jumped on the bandwagon ..........

But yes for me it would have to be a tm36vn:D although the run time does concern me at 1 hour,seems low or very conservative being 1800lm..........

edit-imho its is just as unfair comparing to the tk61 as "only "1000lm compared to 1800lm,where as the tk61vn is 1735lm

On paper in standard form the tm36 does win though!!

Last edited:

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened
Yes,you cant see that far anyway tbh,at even 500m its hard to make anything out with eyes,then you need 20/20 vision to see a tree :laughing:

If you want an excellent thrower then tk61vn is the one to get,it will be cheaper,it does throw further:)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...WTS-TK61vn-Throw-King-1735-ANSI-Lumen-622-KCD

I am not exactly sure why my husband wants this light. He seen a picture of it and just does. Classic example of flashaholic perhaps. Maybe becoming a bit of a Nitecore fanboy as well.

He loves his TM26 and finds it quite useful for work so I don't know what practical reasons he'd want the TM36 other than finding other boats or land out on open water. The throw can matter for that. We live in the Portland, Oregon Area near the Columbia River and about 75 miles to the Pacific Ocean. I can't think of anything on land that the TM36 would be useful for that the TM26 would not other than hailing a rescue chopper in an emergency.

He is going to have an HC90 Headlamp and a TM36 to go with his TM 26 and I am going to be lucky to have an MBI Torpedo if I am lucky :( You hear me TGWNN! (just bantering)

ven

Flashaholic
I also like nitecore,i have had issue free enjoyment and can understand 100% why he would want one,especially if he loves his tm26(how could he not):)

My nitecores

But as i have quite a few lights(some would say a lot) i need to justify it a bit more if i have similar lights if makes sense(just me)

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened
I also like nitecore,i have had issue free enjoyment and can understand 100% why he would want one,especially if he loves his tm26(how could he not):)

My nitecores

But as i have quite a few lights(some would say a lot) i need to justify it a bit more if i have similar lights if makes sense(just me)

Speaking of; when will you get your Niteore TM26 already? You always try to answer people's question about it especially how it compares to other products people like but you don't buy one. You might want to think about selling all those older Nitecores and whatever other flashlights that is financially necessary and pick yourself up a TM26 and a TM36 (when it comes out). I think you'd be happier trading all those in for those two but certainly not as happy as keeping them all and just buying those two.

ven

Flashaholic
My thrower is the far right tk61vn nect to the tm15(which is longer than the tm26)

tn35vn@3500lm from mtg2/tk75vn@4400lm/tm15@2450lm/tk61vn@1735lm

So for me it would have to beat the tk61vn in the throw department to justify enough even though the tk61vn has no oled

ven

Flashaholic
Speaking of; when will you get your Niteore TM26 already? You always try to answer people's question about it especially how it compares to other products people like but you don't buy one. You might want to think about selling all those older Nitecores and whatever other flashlights that is financially necessary and pick yourself up a TM26 and a TM36 (when it comes out). I think you'd be happier trading all those in for those two but certainly not as happy as keeping them all and just buying those two.

I decided on the tm15 out of the tiny monster range,sorry i dont follow what your saying:) if i wanted a tm26 i would buy one if thats what you mean,however i have the tk75vn which i am happy with for a high output light.

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened
My thrower is the far right tk61vn nect to the tm15(which is longer than the tm26)

tn35vn@3500lm from mtg2/tk75vn@4400lm/tm15@2450lm/tk61vn@1735lm

So for me it would have to beat the tk61vn in the throw department to justify enough even though the tk61vn has no oled

The TM36 does beat the TK61 in the throw department by 176 meters so you are justified. :D

If you can, please do me a favor. I would like a picture from the Nitecore 2014 catalog copied from the PDF file and posted here. I don't have Adobe editor to do it. It is page 7 (The one that shows the TM36 and TM26 together). I would really like that picture.

Catalog link:

http://www.nitecore.com/UploadFile/Files/download/1-1_NC2014_Catalog_En_1312_web.pdf

ven

Flashaholic
I dont have editor on this laptop unfortunately,the other lapy with adobe is up at the studio:sigh:

I like to have a few different brands thats all,just personal preference,no right,no wrong:)

iirc i recommended the tm26 a while back with its tripod mount for your husband who is a truck driver? is that correct?

Could have been another member..........not sure

If he loves his tm26 then i can understand wanting the tm36 as a different light with the superb oled:)

The tk61vn throws over 1400m:nana:

;)

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened
I dont have editor on this laptop unfortunately,the other lapy with adobe is up at the studio:sigh:

I like to have a few different brands thats all,just personal preference,no right,no wrong:)

iirc i recommended the tm26 a while back with its tripod mount for your husband who is a truck driver? is that correct?

Could have been another member..........not sure

If he loves his tm26 then i can understand wanting the tm36 as a different light with the superb oled:)

The tk61vn throws over 1400m:nana:

;)

Didn't know about the VN mod specs so ek sku zzzzzz muah :p