Malkoff M@Glite XP-G2 drop in regulation question

calviroman

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

So I have a handful of Gene's P60 drop-ins for my SF lights and am considering getting a few of his XP-G2 M@g drop-ins for my D-cell M@gs. My question is regarding regulation, draw, and runtime. From his site:

"It uses a genuine Cree XP-G2 LED. This dropin produces a real 300 (measured out the front) lumens with alkaline batteries.The Drop-In module...and has a regulated driver. The current output to the led is 1000ma on 3, 4, 5 or 6 D cells"

So with a 3D, the regulation circuit sees 4.5V and draws 1A (4.5W consumption). With a 4D it now sees 6V and does it still draw 1A (6W), and with a 6D it sees 9V and does it even still draw 1A (9W)? If the answer is yes it always draws 1A as Gene's site eludes to, then is the extra power giving more lumens (>300) or is it wasted/lost as heat by the regulation circuit? I would hope/think that the regulation was designed to make good use of the added cells in 4-6 D applications. Thanks.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,

So I have a handful of Gene's P60 drop-ins for my SF lights and am considering getting a few of his XP-G2 M@g drop-ins for my D-cell M@gs. My question is regarding regulation, draw, and runtime. From his site:

"It uses a genuine Cree XP-G2 LED. This dropin produces a real 300 (measured out the front) lumens with alkaline batteries.The Drop-In module...and has a regulated driver. The current output to the led is 1000ma on 3, 4, 5 or 6 D cells"

So with a 3D, the regulation circuit sees 4.5V and draws 1A (4.5W consumption). With a 4D it now sees 6V and does it still draw 1A (6W), and with a 6D it sees 9V and does it even still draw 1A (9W)? If the answer is yes it always draws 1A as Gene's site eludes to, then is the extra power giving more lumens (>300) or is it wasted/lost as heat by the regulation circuit? I would hope/think that the regulation was designed to make good use of the added cells in 4-6 D applications. Thanks.

I think I understand what you mean. If the current draw is the same undependent of the number of cells the brightness should be higher with more cells. I think it's a miss in the statement. My guess is that the brightness is similar but you get better runtime with more cells option. Yes; the current output then hardly can be the same.

Last edited:

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
The spec says 1000mA to the LED. The current drawn from fully charged batteries should be less than that. I don't have any personal experience with the Mag drop-ins but I would suspect that higher voltages (more batteries) would waste more heat, while still giving you longer runtimes.

Scourie

Enlightened
The current to the LED is constant, not the current from the batteries. As the battery voltage rises, the current should drop.

Rob

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The current to the LED is constant, not the current from the batteries. As the battery voltage rises, the current should drop.

Rob

I am not an expert in how to interpret these terms. Just know that watt=current*ampere. I think you mean the same as I thought that the brightness becomes the same but the runtime increases with number of cells?

calviroman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. So sounds like the regulator circuit will pull a varying amount of current off the batteries based upon the battery input voltage presented to it. It would be good to have a chart for these drop-ins showing input voltage verses current draw from the batteries as regulation circuits are typically more efficient at certain points in this curve.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
In essence yes. More batteries will give longer runtimes.

Rob

Ok, yes otherwise it should not be any idea to use more than 3D model, it should be just waisted energy and weight. And if one wanted a longer body one could fill it up with dummy cells instead.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies. So sounds like the regulator circuit will pull a varying amount of current off the batteries based upon the battery input voltage presented to it. It would be good to have a chart for these drop-ins showing input voltage verses current draw from the batteries as regulation circuits are typically more efficient at certain points in this curve.

I just thought it would be interesting to see runtime graphs for different number of cells!

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I have heard others say, the XP-G2 drop-ins use a buck regulator. So current draw from the cells should drop as you increase the number of cells. The XM-L2 drop-ins, on the other hand, use a linear regulator.'