Guess what? I recieved a Mug light 2AA ...

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fellow that gave it to me says he saw my other "Mug light" and didn't like the color of it so he decided to give me a "real" light instead.

I didn't want to hurt his feelings,so I thanked him for giving me a real light to replace my SF E2e HA3 light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

So the question is, Do I return it to Wally World? or Do I mod it and what mod to do?

Next year when I see this guy, I'll let him see my ugly green "Mug light" in action and see what he says then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif. I'll keep you posted.

Alex

paulr

Flashaholic
The classy thing to do would be give him a light in return, like a Winelight E1e or E2e (burgundy purple) since he doesn't like green. If you want to be extra cruel, use an E2e set up with a modded bezel with a P61 lamp inside. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

machulu

Newly Enlightened
I'd do a kickass mod on the light he gave you and give it back to him. In a way, you're thanking him for the light but your also telling him that you know your stuff when it comes to flashlights and his gesture was appreciated but not needed.

~Stephen

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like your suggestion Paul maybe a G2 would be nice for a return gift.

Machulu, the other part of the question is what kind of mod would be nice for it?. I am thinking between an Opalec or some kind of luxeon of sort, don't know if there is even a luxeon dropin module for it. has anyone played modding a muglight? what did you do?

Thnx!

Alex

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get a Madmax or Badboy drop in sandwich at the Sandwich Shoppe... Way brighter than a Opalec, I hear. I'd like to see the look on his face too when your friend lights up the G2... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
I'd say don't bother with any LED mod less than 5 watts for this purpose. Non-flashaholics just aren't impressed by LED's. All they see is that the LED mod doesn't make as bright a spot on the wall as the original light did. The advantages of LED's are more subtle than that, and take a while to get to appreciate. And Luxeon sandwiches are a pain in the neck because they fall out of the light when you change the batteries. But if you really want to do a mod, I'd suggest a BB500 (luxeon module) rather than an Opalec.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who says the Mug mod is for him? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif he he he! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'll go over to the Sandwitch shop to see what is available.

Thnx!
Alex

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I'm trying to impress a non flashaholic, one of the first things that I pull out is a 2AA with a sandwich in it. They know immediately that it ain't no ordinary light.

I use six sandwiches and five of them with NiMH, so I remove and recharge batteries at least every 1 - 3 weeks. I've yet to have a problem with a module falling out. For those that aren't quite as agile there are plenty of "tricks" that you can do to keep the module in place. I haven't done them because some my hosts have different IDs and I like to be able to switch them from host to host.

The 1W luxeon is the staple of this forum. I'll bet they outnumber 5W by 50:1, and less than 5W will be the leader for a while to come. We will probably see more and more 3W used underdriven in 1W applications because their color is so much better.

The best mod for this application hands down is a sandwich.