Converting Z2 to dual output?

prop

Newly Enlightened
Hello

I have a Surefire Z2 with a 260 lumen Malkoff M61 and a Z49 click-style tailcap.

Is there any way to convert the light, so it becomes a dual output light, maybe by fitting another tailcap? I tried Googling the subject, but didn't find any clear answers.

Thanks,

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use a high/low tail cap made by Elzetta. It works on the same principle as the Malkoff high/low ring. The problem is when you tighten down the tail cap it isn't as long as the stock surefire tail cap so you will need to sand the threads of your Z2 down a little for the tail cap to fully engage the o-ring. I know it sounds crazy to sand down your light but it's the only way to make the tail cap work. You could alternatively get an M361 3 stage Malkoff drop in or an Elzetta host for your M61.

prop

Newly Enlightened
It's a beat up duty light, so i don't mind modifying it. How much stock removal are we talking about? Can it be done with a file or are we talking the need for lathe? Will the Z49 still work and fit correctly after the mod?

Another question, will the 3-stage Malkoff work with the Z49 tailcap? I assume its just a matter of clicking 3 times to cycle through the modes.

Thanks,

13927684490_5057b6fa77.jpg

Last edited:

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
The three mode Malkoffs will work by pressing the tailcap (you do not have to push to the point where it clicks) and releasing it until you get to the mode you would like. It will drop right in there.

If you find one, the tailcap from an AZ2 will also make it a two-stage tactical (momentary) light.

prop

Newly Enlightened
Ok thanks. I appreciate all the help. By the way, why is the Malkoff site down? Went to check out the M361, but to no avail.

prop

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, googling Malkoff and clicking on the link didn't work. But I found their site now.

chnzwh

Newly Enlightened
The three mode Malkoffs will work by pressing the tailcap (you do not have to push to the point where it clicks) and releasing it until you get to the mode you would like. It will drop right in there.

If you find one, the tailcap from an AZ2 will also make it a two-stage tactical (momentary) light.

Hey Eddie, no offense, but I don't think the two-stage tactical tailcap will work properly in this case. I have both Kroma tailcap and AZ2 tailcap and both of them only gave high beam when paired with Malkoffs. A real shame as I was hoping for the same as the OP does.

On a side note, a Kroma tailcap or an AZ2 tailcap will work well on a single-stage Z2-S and gives out a really useful low beam.