Streamlight 20, 35, magcharger

kb0rrg

Enlightened
Can anybody take a guess at the lumen rating of a SL 20, SL 35 and/or a Magcharger? How do they compare with Surefires for total output?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hard to convert lumen to candlepower. But from what I've seen the streamlights are very close in perceived brightness compared to a Surefire. Maybe not such a "perfect" beam, but brightness is almost. Mag-Charger?? If you're going to spend the money on a Mag-Charger, you might as well get a Streamlight or a SureFire 8AX or NX model instead. I've seen the Mag-charger, it's bright, but the beam is very very sloppy. I just can't patronize from a company, like Maglite, that won't improve its products and designs, especially when there are other (Streamlight and Surefire) far superior products around the same price range.

kb0rrg

Enlightened
The real question is why would mag want to invest hundredes of thousands of dollars for R&D and the tooling to manufacture a new light when the current design is making them a fortune. I would guess that they are the most popular flashlight in the world and they have a reputation among most non-flashaholics as the best lights made. (I belived this too until about a year ago). I now agree with your opinion, but 99% of the population don't know any better.

Anyway, I will get myself back on track.
If given a SL Stinger, 8x, 6P (P60 &P61) a 9P (P90 & P91), a 12PM, a SL-20, and SL-35, how would you order them from dimmest to brightest.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

You almost have that order in form. From what I understand, the brightest would be from the lithium down to the rechargables. Probably starting with the 12PM being the brightest working your way down to the Stingers. But what you didn't include on your list is a very important new flashlight, the Ultra-Stinger. From what I understand, it is very very very bright. In fact it is so bright some people said that the perception of the beam quality is improved. I heard that its up there in terms of brightness with the 500 lumen Surefires, only the Ultra-stinger is a Ni-Cad rechargable. Now think about it... The Ultra-Stinger is really just a Super-Stinger with a new, larger head and slightly thicker bulb filiment, same voltage, same wattage. However the increase in brightness jumped 5 folds, or 500%!!!! All due to the new reflector/head. Now that is what I call innovation. Probably something we will never see from Maglite, or they will never embrace the concept of innovation. What a pity, since they were really the first ones to manafacture a "quality" flashlight.