Fenix PD35 or Nitecore P12 or Klarus ST11/ST2C?

djmm

Newly Enlightened
For my general purpose light, I think I have narrowed it down to these 3. Which one do you think it's the better one for me?
What I prioritise in flashlight:
- build quality and feels on hand (doesn't slip easily or uncomfortable/awkward to hold)
- High lumen/long throw is not priority - I actually prefer the one with nice smooth wide flood
- really low mode is a plus for reading (I think PD35's low mode is too bright for reading on the bed without disturbing wife?)
- proven durability - since I'll buy it online, sending stuff back would be difficult for me

What do you guys think? I also looked at Zebralight but I don't quite like the design and it's more expensive... Or are there any other lights I might have missed?

Last edited:

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can narrow it down to P12 and ST2C because ST11 is ST2C with bigger reflector and more focused beam (and PD35 has pretty bright low mode). I think P12 is going to be easier to operate - single click is enough to change mode while in ST2C you have toclick and hold the side switch to change mode.

compnaut

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought a PD35 as my first 18650 powered light. I can confirm that the build quality seems excellent and that holding it does not feel awkward or uncomfortable at all. In fact, I think I prefer the slightly thicker body as compared to AA powered lights. Knurling is enough to keep a good grip without being so aggressive it is uncomfortable. I particularly like more floody lights (will probably buy a Zebralight SC600 at some point) and I am very happy with this light. The hotspot is wide and the spill is bright. I think it will satisfy all of your priorities with the exception of reading in bed without disturbing your Wife. 10 lumens might be a little too bright for that, but I don't use my lights for that (at least I haven't so far). I am very pleased with the PD35.

djmm

Newly Enlightened
From my understanding, all 3 has the same material? So when people say for example PD35 has better build quality, in what way is it actually better?

Sullivan

Newly Enlightened
From my understanding, all 3 has the same material? So when people say for example PD35 has better build quality, in what way is it actually better?

Agreed. To me all of them I bet all of them are in very good promised quality built, and lumen # is not crucial to you (I don't often turn on highest output for my P12 as a EDC) - in all I would save the dollars from none difference but brand.

djmm

Newly Enlightened
I actually don't need to have 800+ lumens too and most likely anything less than 500 would suffice for general purpose as I don't do camping/trekking/searching.
But the thing is looks like all the nice features are only in the high output flashlights? Whereas the lower output ones seem to have less features too...

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
go klarus. its simpler has moon mode. well built - stainless bezel and switch surround. much nicer :).
i have a pd35 and the low is BRIGHT.

with build quality, they may use the same materials but do they take them from stock that is checked for consistancy and irregularities ?
how thin do they machine the walls ?
are the threads cut loose or tight between parts ?

i think most people are happy with nitecore - i havnt had a new one for a while.
i have 2 fenix and they are very well made.
i have never herd a bad thing about klarus ? i recomended one to a friend and he is really happy with it.

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P12 has a voltage indicator, and is smaller than both Klaruses.

Javora

Enlightened
Agreed. To me all of them I bet all of them are in very good promised quality built, and lumen # is not crucial to you (I don't often turn on highest output for my P12 as a EDC) - in all I would save the dollars from none difference but brand.

Good point. With that line of thinking I'm surprised no one is talking about the Thrunite TN12 - 2014.

compnaut

Newly Enlightened
I was referring to the feel of the light in my hand and the lack of any obvious imperfections or manufacturing errors. The LED is well centered and the tint of the light looks good to me (no pink, green, blue or yellow..at least not to my eyes). I wasn't comparing it to the thrunite or nitecore or klarus. I have lights from several manufacturers, but not from one of those three. I'm only giving you my impressions of this one light and they are all positive (except that it cannot tailstand). I think that selfbuilt may have compared the P12m the PD35, and thrunight TN12 in a review. You might try searching for that.

djmm

Newly Enlightened
I just realised that all of the lights don't have orange peel reflector. Do I need to worry about this or all the lights I mentioned have good enough, smooth beams?

By the way I just looked at Armytech viking pro 2.5 - looks like a solid light - you reckon it will be much better than Klarus/Nitecore?

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned both the P12 and PD35. I kept the PD35 and gave the P12 to my son-in law because he likes throwers and that moon light mode. For moonlight mode I just use a different flashlight for times when I'm walking around when others are asleep. I wouldn't worry about the reflectors. Beam patterns are good on both.

The PD35 would have been perfect for me if the low mode would have been around 3 lumens. I'm not a moonlight mode guy or a thrower so I chose the PD35. It's not a floody light nor a tight thrower. I thought it was a good balance for outdoors. It's mostly preference. Both lights are good.

While the P12 is stated at 950 lumens, and the PD35 at 850 lumens, I measured them in my light box and they are about the same. The difference is negligible

Another issue to be aware of is battery type. The P12 has to have a button top 18650 battery because they use a mechanical shape on the head for reverse battery protection while the PD35 can use both because it has a springs on both ends. That's a non issue but something to be aware of if using 18650 batteries.

Last edited:

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just realised that all of the lights don't have orange peel reflector. Do I need to worry about this or all the lights I mentioned have good enough, smooth beams?

By the way I just looked at Armytech viking pro 2.5 - looks like a solid light - you reckon it will be much better than Klarus/Nitecore?

the armytek is much bigger, i know many people are having QC issues with switches and getting fed up with it too. But for the few lights you here about with issues they have prob sold many that work fine, depends how you feel about it.

my PD35 has a very nice beam without OP reflector.

Viperbart

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight SC600 MKII?
More flood than anything listed here, super smooth beam with orange peel reflector, lowest low settings, durable...
Why are you looking at anything else?

Viperbart

Newly Enlightened
More expensive than an Armytek Viking Pro 2.5? Lol
Not quite liking the design is something that's easy to get over when you love what the light does for you.
Maybe sonething with a control ring for variable output would be better then? Take a look at Nitecore's SRT lineup.

Last edited:

djmm

Newly Enlightened
I had a look at Nitecore SRT series and they are actually quite appealing. The more I research the more indecisive I become lol.
The reason why I didn't mind to pay extra if I were to go with Armytek was because it seems to be different from the rest (ie. Higher drop rating, higher water resist rating, different finish) but QC problems and the twist mechanism sort of hold me back. But then again to be fair to them, a few issues on forum shouldn't reflect their overall quality (unless it is really like every second guy who bought them had issues with it)