Are galvanized trash cans safe to keep indoors?

mountaindewer

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to keep about 2 in my closets to keep stuff in. I vaguely recall something about them putting off fumes when hot. My closet is about 10 feet away from my bed, to reference how far away they would be when i sleep, or am in the bedroom part of my house.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you worry about fumes that objects may give off, then an all-metal object (covered in a thin layer of another metal) should be the least of your worries.

But yes if used carelessly, and kept hot, it may give off fumes... :sick2: :crackup:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
The whole thing with fumes and galvanized trash cans comes up when people do things like burn leaves in them, or worse try to barbecue in them. At "normal" temperatures they're safer than plastic trash cans which incidentally emit fumes even at room temperature.

Oh, and one of our neighbors tried burning leaves in a plastic trash can. :shakehead If you think galvanized trash cans emit fumes when hot, well, they ain't got nothing on plastic ones! The fire department had to come to extinguish that mess. It stunk up the entire few surrounding blocks for quite a while. :eek:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The whole thing with fumes and galvanized trash cans comes up when people do things like burn leaves in them, or worse try to barbecue in them. At "normal" temperatures they're safer than plastic trash cans which incidentally emit fumes even at room temperature.

Oh, and one of our neighbors tried burning leaves in a plastic trash can. :shakehead If you think galvanized trash cans emit fumes when hot, well, they ain't got nothing on plastic ones! The fire department had to come to extinguish that mess. It stunk up the entire few surrounding blocks for quite a while. :eek:

LOL

Reminds me of the guy who wanted to prime his carburetor with a splash of gas from a Styrofoam cup of gasoline, which was in the same hand as his lit cigarette.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look up "zinc fume fever" to understand the cautions about heating galvanized metal.

Did that when I was young and first learning what was safe to solder with a torch.
Feels a lot like the flu, but goes away faster.

braddy

Enlightened
LOL

Reminds me of the guy who wanted to prime his carburetor with a splash of gas from a Styrofoam cup of gasoline, which was in the same hand as his lit cigarette.
I've never been able to light gasoline with a cigarette.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic