Aluminum MCPCB + Nano Diamond

magnum78

Newly Enlightened
It's hard to find Nichia 219 and I could only find Nichia 119.
Because no one make direct thermal mcpcb, I came up with an idea using nano diamond because diamond is electric insulators.
So I test it to 3535 led foot print first before use it to Nichia 119.

I make 1mm hole

s0w8.jpg

Than fill it with nano diamond. I make the nano diamond power like soft breakable rubber/mud(taking advantage form nano diamond permeability). Than make it flat with razor blade.

ncve.jpg

I use 0.8mm tin solder, than smash it with hammer. Put little solder grease, and ready to solder. I use Osram led.

odr4.jpg

Than I test it, I don't know how good is it but it work. The Osram led is 1A max, I push it to 1.5A and the surface area around the led is only warm.
I remove the led to see how it looks after solder.

m2sv.jpg

I solder again with Cree led. I don't know XP-G or XP-E, but I push it to 2A the surface area around the led is only warm.
I don't have equipment to measure how good is it. If anyone here who want to test it and has equipment to test it, I'll sent it to you.

Now I make another using 2 XML to know how hot is the surface area around the led.
And I'm thinking to reverse to process by:
make a hole - solder the led - fill the nano diamond from behind.
but I don't know how to seal it. Because I'm using aluminium MCPCB. Any idea?

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice mod.

FYI: Mountain Electronics has very nice Nichia 219B emitters in stock. 4500k, 92 CRI. I built a triple with them a few days ago. Lovely tint.

Since the 219 has an XPG footprint, you can use direct copper Noctigon stars, also sold at Mountain Electronics.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neat idea! I've seen a similar mod, albeit with more mundane filler like solid core copper wire.

To seal your idea about filling after soldering, you could glue a piece of alu or copper foil over the back of the star and squish or hammer it down flat to compress the diamond and also hold it in.

But yeah, good tip by Fireclaw is that the 219B has the same footprint as XP-E/G LEDs, so a high performance XP-E or XP-G mounting board ought to work fine too