5w c mag mod, or 5w d mag mod?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
when making or purchasing a 5w mag mod, which do you prefer, using a ccell body, or a dcell body?

personally, i prefer a dcell body because it provides more battery options.

generally, when doing a 5w mag mod (direct drive) people choose to either use a 2c or 2d.
with a 2c, your options are either 3-123, whereas with a 2d, you can do 3-123 or 6aa
of course, there are more options available, but they are harder to do (3aaa, pila, etc)

so what do you guys prefer, and how big a deal is it to you?

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you are using C cell, you can use either 3 123 or 6 AAA. Also, using lithium ion is an option. For D cell, we can use 6AA cell and 3 123. Of course, i can use li ion for the D cell body also. Personally, i prefer D cell, because of the larger choice and runtime. In term of size,while C cell has smaller body, its head actually has the same reflector as a D celled light, so it does not really matter, beam management wise.
Actually, wouldn't it be great if we can fit 3AA in a light whose diameter somewhat between C and D cell, because D diameter is actually larger than 3 AA.

jtice

Flashaholic
While the D size mags give you alot more options.
I still like the size shape and feel of a 2C mag alot better.
D mags are just too fat, plus alot heavier.

That said,,, I still like the 2D mags for 5W, sence 3x123 is really the only option for a 2C 5W mag. Or, better yet, a cut down 1D mag. With 4 AA's and a converter.

Its really all personal preference I guess, but the versitility of the D mags keeps them in the mix.

I think the main reason we see more D mag mods, is that you can goto lowes or wally world, abd buy a million of them.
C mags are HARD to fin. Beleave me,, I know. Especially if you want something other than black.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not here in CA. C mag is as easy to find as D mag. COlor wise, it available in blue, red and black, just the same with D mag. However, if you go to Costco, they may have other color for D mag. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
you mean jade? i cannot see any jade D mag here either

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
My local Target has greenies but they are all D's.

I like the 2C and 2D for their size and weight, the 3D is OK for direct drive on the LuxIII to help keep things simple plus long run time but that about all I like about it.

Later
Sway

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like Ds over Cs. I figure there are 3 main sizes of lights: big, medium and small. Intuitive, aren't I? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Smalls = EDCs. 1 x 123 or even 1 P168S. Eg. Arc LS
Mediums = Pocketables. 2 x 123s, 2 x AAs, 3 x 123s. Eg. L4, L5, PM6.
Big = Purpose lights. These are lights that you carry because you need one that is bright or lasts long. So why not use a D when you can parallel the power source for extra runtime? Also AA NiMhs or mulitple/parallel P168s means much lower cost per hour. Having said that, I do like how the C feels in my hands. Fits nicely.

LightScene

Enlightened
If it's meant for rechargeables, then AA is the only size that makes sense to me. 6 AA NiMh's in a 5 Watt give more than enough run time for most needs. And spares can easily be carried to extend the run time. A well designed NiMh setup doesn't need current regulation.

It would be nice to have swappable resistors to match the batteries (alkalines or NiMh's).

If the light is meant to use disposables, then 5 C cells are needed. That nakes for a big flashlight. 4 C cells only deliver a couple hundred milliamps to a 5 Watt, which makes it about as bright as a 1 Watt.