LED options for a Surefire E2

ramcharger

Newly Enlightened
I have a Surefire E2. Are there any less costly options to retrofit a LED head/bulb to this flashlight than the surefire replacement heads?
Thank You,

LGT

Enlightened
I have a Surefire E2. Are there any less costly options to retrofit a LED head/bulb to this flashlight than the surefire replacement heads?
Thank You,
Check out lumens factory. By the way, one post since 2007! You've got my vote for the Rip Van Winkle trophy.

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second Lumens factory-they make a replacement LED Head for around $55, or a drop-in for around $30. They also make replacement incandescent bulb drop ins for E1E and E2E that allow the use of rechargeable batteries. To keep from blowing out my Surefire incandescent I use a color sticky on the battery inside the light as a reminder(yes, I have so many lights it is easy to forget which has an incandescent that can handle a rechargeable as opposed to one that can't). Once you blow a couple of $20 or $30 bulbs the lesson hits home....

LGT

Enlightened
I second Lumens factory-they make a replacement LED Head for around $55, or a drop-in for around $30. They also make replacement incandescent bulb drop ins for E1E and E2E that allow the use of rechargeable batteries. To keep from blowing out my Surefire incandescent I use a color sticky on the battery inside the light as a reminder(yes, I have so many lights it is easy to forget which has an incandescent that can handle a rechargeable as opposed to one that can't). Once you blow a couple of $20 or $30 bulbs the lesson hits home....
Great idea, wish I would have thought of that. I've experienced two or three poofs when forgetting what bulb was in the light.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Thank You,

There are several options to choose from. You could buy a Tana drop in. Awesome hands down. Than there is Shrike2222 who makes a similar LED drop in. I make the G20 which is designed for the budget minded. But to use mine you must have your stock E1/E2 head bored to accept my 20mm drop in's.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one of Tana's Eseries drop ins a few months ago. Quality is superb, and it is potted too. Fit and operation are flawless, mine (219B led, 2.4-3.7V, optimized for 1xcr123 primary) makes a soft beam with very wide spill. Well worth the money, very happy with it.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
My only gripe so far is the "wall of light" result with most of the E2E LED upgrades. I like having some throw to my lights.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the wall of light due to the shallow reflector and its focal point built for an incan bulb but like you I like some throw just in case. Well, here comes the E1DL. :)

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff Devices makes an E2/Scout head that will be ideal.

I have one - great head swap. But it's a tactical level output, which makes it retina-searing for anything else, especially in close quarters.

I had a chance to play with an E2E with the incan bulb which was almost all throw with little spill; I'm going to tinker with an early Veleno drop-in I have and see what happens.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I would keep the E2 and buy an E2L. You can pick up a used one for pretty cheap and you end up with two lights instead of one.

ramcharger

Newly Enlightened
Thank you everyone.
Some options to ponder over
Still a great light. Don't leave home without it

aldagoods

Newly Enlightened
I second contacting Tana. I got the xpg 300lm. it is a well built, no nonsense, straight dropin replacement. and tana is great to work with. and you don't have to modify the awesome form factor of the e2e. worth every cent.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the XPG2 dropin from Tana have the "wall of light with small hotspot" effect that I have with the 219B LED? I like it for indoor use, maybe the XPG2 is a bit different and suited more for outdoors?