Inova X5??

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently bought my son a Surefire E2e Ex Ha.
I ws impressed with the brightness, and ordered a Pelican M5 which is not here yet.

I recognize the importance of such lights to law enforcement and similar requirements. I do want one light of that level of brigtness, hence my order of the PM5. If I don't like it I will get myself a Surefire E2e.

However, I see little use for it except self-defense that is the blinding characteristics of it.
For EDC I do not see the need for such a bright light considering the short battery life.

In that vein I wonder if a Inova X5 would be a good choice for EDC. I don't know how large it is, and if it is too large I would not bother to carry it.
I am also wondering about the brightness compared to a Mag 2 AA. I have used those and the Brinkman for years with no complaints. I have read that the Inova is a good choice to finish using 123 batteries which have deteriorated too far to be useful in lights such as the E2e.

I think of the light as a walking light, but I would like it to be as bright as reasonable.

I do not want to pay over about $40 for the light. I can continue to use the C cells and the AA cell lights. I guess I just want something to fool with. BUT NOT A ROOM FULL OF SUREFIRES,AND STREAMLITES. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif:) Maybe not a drawer full either.

What are your thoughts regarding my requirements and considering the size and cost?

Thanks,
Jerry

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good choice...well liked by the members here...for walking it`s just fine. As far as not wanting a drawer full of lights I recommend running as fast as you can from this forum...good luck.

Welcome!

Ken

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait a moment...you`ve been here since the 12th...surely you know a drawer full of lights is the only possible outcome of hanging around /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ken

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is what I am afraid of. I was about to get caught up in in and also order a Surefire E2e, but I came to my senses and decided to forego it. At least for now or as long as I can.

Is the Inova 5X small enough to put in a jacket pocket? I read one post where the poster made me think that it was too large for EDC. Is it larger than the Mag 2AA? That is about as large as I would want to carry. In fact I would hope it might be smaller.

Thanks for the reply. Now we will see how many others comment. I have learned a lot here since I learned about the forums.

PS. What would the Inova do that a Maglight AA would not do as well? Maybe the life of the batteries is the answer, but is that all?

Jerry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome Jerry! For the size and brightness, the X5 (or X5T) should be pretty good for walking and general purpose uses. I think its got about 20+ hours of runtime IIRC, and you can get a good deal from CountyComm at the moment. They're offering the X5T, which has a clickie tailcap switch instead of a momentary. Check them out here.

Also, you have to check out Quickbeam's review site here, its a great resource among many others' sites on CPF for flashlight reviews. You should be able to find Quickbeam's X5 review right here. Enjoy your stay, and by the way, you'll find that you WILL have a room full of flashlights in a matter of time if you hang around CPF too long... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

lionken07

Newly Enlightened
X5 is good...

another alternative would be the TT 1L or 2L, they are more of a EDC because they offer two brightness.

As far as rather or not it will be useful: I think its always better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. With 123s so cheap now I see no reason not to have powerful lights. Of course that's totally my opinion. I don't really need most of my lights. They are simply there for my enjoyment.

I'm sure you will be happy with the x5 nonetheless.
I have the X1 and its a cool little "spot light"!!

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
A M*glight AA (or any of them for that matter) would require not only frequent battery change, but also bulb changes as well. The inova has 5 leds, and none of them ever needs replacing!! Apart from the battery life, of course... The size should be smaller and sleeker than a 2AA M*g, Quickbeam's review has it at around 4.75 inches in length I think...

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some folks think the Arc AAA is the biggest EDC they want...but in a jacket...I don`t think it would be a problem...if the pocket are deep enough...I have a jacket that likes to dump anything I put in there out.

Ken /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

rlhess

Enlightened
I will be the dissenting voice. Because of the nature of the LEDs and their discharge curve, while the X5 will put out light for a long time, it only keeps its peak brightness on new cells for an hour or so and then starts to dim. It's not a bright light to begin with. I had the original one and IIRC, it put out not much over 100cd.

I think a KL1 head which gives 4 hours of at least 300cd on an E2e body provides more and constant light and better drains a set of batteries.

I think the X5 is dimmer than the mag light, but much whiter, so you don't notice it as much. It certainly is dimmer than a Mag AA with a Brinkmann Nexstar lamp in it.

I'm a real fan of regulated lights.

I think the ultimate small EDC light is the Arc LS. My wife is carrying a tiny sLS that we've had for about a year and a half. It has the old style twisty battery case that is smaller than the new one with the clickie switch.

I carry an Arc AAA LE and a Surefire L4 which is very bright and very flood-like. 650cd and an hour on two lithium 123s.

But then again, I'm crazy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh speaking of crazy, in my shoulder bag, I have an L6 with a KT4 turbo head the MN15, MN16, and N2 lamp assemblies 12 123 cells and also my E2e with KL1 for long lighting.

I also keep two spare 123s in my pocket in a holder and some spare AAAs in the shoulder bag.

But, I do have to go out and inspect buildings for clients who may want to turn them into TV stations.

Cheers,

Richard

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it was Brock but I could be wrong who did a runtime test with the X5 and it produced a surprisingly consistant output for the first six hours or so. Must be a property of the lithium discharge curve. I'm going by memory here. I think compared to a mini-mag, the only advantage a mini-mag would have is longer throw. But it is just a five Nichia LED light. Any 1W Luxeon light is going to significantly outshine it. I use my X5T as a car light. It's perfect for map reading and would produce enough light to change a tire, look under the hood etc in dark conditions. For a walking light? I guess it would depend on the user. I personally would rather have a KL1/e2 body but it would cost significantly more then $40. A more economical solution would be a mini-mag with a badboy adapter but not as sleek as the KL1/e2 light.

Geode

Enlightened
Hello JerryM,

I agree with lionken07 about the TT1L and TT2L. The TT1L is very pocketable and will give you nice light for a reasonable amount of time with a single 123 cell battery. I prefer the TT2L for longer LED run time and brighter Xenon output. The 123 batteries are becoming pretty reasonable at prices from $1.00 - $1.25 on the internet.

R Hess also makes good points about the amount of bright light that will be had from the X5. The Arc LS is probably one of the best balances of size, brightness, and run time. However, it will be a bit more than your stated budget constraint.

Edited to compensate for synapse deficiency

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going to show my ignorance. I don't know what TT1L is. That is I don't know what the TT is, and am not faviliar with a manufacturer with that initial.

Now for the second, I bought today at Walmart a Rayovac LED that uses 3 AAA batteries. It is not bad, but only has one LED and although the white light sorta makes up for it, it is not as bright as m Brinkmann AA mini.

Now for the third thing, while I was thinking of the saying that was used when I was young, "A fool and his money are soon parted" I found that Texas Tactical had the E2e type III HA for $66.99. WEEEEEEEEELLL, I parted with my money.

It is not my fault, and since everyone else can blame everyone except himself for his failures, so can I. It is you folks fault for getting me fired up for more flashlights. Never mind that I am a sucker for nice outdoor stuff.

I am still interested in a LED light, but I am not sure now about the Inova.

Jerry

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Read about the Streamlight twin task lights here.

http://www.streamlight.com/tasklight_info.htm

If you do a search under the reviews forums a month or two or three ago, there were a couple of good reviews on them.
There are a whole series of them. Basically they are two stage lights that allow you to switch between LED and incandescent outputs for runtime vs. brighttime outputs. I bought a twin task 2L as a Christmas gift and am convinced at $30 it is an absolute top value for the dollar. Replacement incandescent lamps are just a fraction of what Surefire lamps cost.

Well now that you have an E2E light on your way, as a budding flashaholic I fear you will find the X5 too wimpy for your needs. I think you should prepare to spend upwards of a hundred dollars plus for a good 5W LED light. The Surefire L4 seems to be one if not the most popular ones here but the cheapest I have seen it is for $120. Seriously a 1 watt Luxeon LED light would complement your E2E nicely. Quite a few choices here including a Surefire KL1 head as mentioned by R Hess that you can swap with the head that is coming on your E2E body. I still think the X5T is an excellent light for the price and purpose. You'll end up getting one eventually anyhow because it's stuck in your head. The E2E is only going to fuel your desire for more lights.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks.
I am surprised at how little the TT1 and TT2L lights are. I really like the looks and size of the TT1L, but do want a bright light in the incandescent mode. It is difficult for me to determine how the TT1L in the incandescent mode would compare with a Mini Mag AA, or a 2D light. I would consider the 2AA as a minimum brightness. I sure do like the size of the TT1L. It would fit the bill for a EDC light.

I am thinking about buying both, and maybe giving the one I don't like as well to someone else as a present. Now what kind of guy would give the lesser as a present??

If any of you have the TT1 and a 2AA light could you give me your assessment as to max brightness.
I wonder how I am getting tangled up in this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jerry

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, here is quickbeams review and beamshots of the twintask lights.

http://flashlightreviews2.home.att.net/reviews/streamlight_tactical.htm

and another very good review here.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB16&Number=315191&page=6&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Really though if you're getting an E2E, I do hope you'll pick a luxeon LED light as your first one. If you're comfortable handling and using mini-mags then why not a drop in LED replacement from Wayne's sandwich shop, here?

http://secure3.dnsaction.com/~anlighte/shop/default.php?cPath=22&osCsid=309ce9d85d19b5ca450caa61f87393cf

A big bonus is that you can use rechargeable nimh's AA batteries with no drop off in brightness at least in the badboy modules. Alas it appears the only badboy module currently offered is a cyan one. I am not sure how the rechareables perform in the madmax series, perhaps someone else can chime in.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I`m sorry to hear you broke down and bought a E2e Jerry. Of course you will have to purchase a KL1 head for long run time and...a KL4 head.

Now that your on board this train you`ll find it travels to fast to jump off...so...might as well sit back and enjoy the ride.

Try not to forget...still need to feed the wife and kids /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ken

lionken07

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Geode said:
Hello JerryM,

I agree with This is Nascar about the TT1L and...

[/ QUOTE ]

did nascar even post on this thread? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

and yes JerryM, you are in on this now ain't ya... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
but it will be worth it once you turn the sucker on!

Geode

Enlightened
lionken07 - Hah! It was you , not TIN. Saw that car and did a knee-jerk reaction. Now, back to edit that thread . . .

MrMom

Enlightened
Jerry: Start cleaning out your drawer.

Look at the Arc LSH with a 2-AA tail pack. It's the same form factor of the mag but WAY brighter and regulated too. Forget the X-5, mine sits on a shelf. They look 'cool' that is until you have to use it daily. The 'coolness' diminishes real fast where as the Arc continues to impress.