Aspherical Maglite Mod

pyro1son

Newly Enlightened
I am back again with another Maglite mod! This time I will be using Aspherical lenses :D

Previous Mods:
DX drop in Maglite Mod
MR16 3x3W Maglite Mod
Purple XM-L2 with Battery Monitor Maglite Mod

While I was in the planning stages of this one of my mates who I have done a previous Maglite mod for, asked me to do another. As I had already been talking about doing an Aspherical Mag mod he asked if I could do one for him at the same time. And of course I agreed.

My Specs:
Silver 2D Maglite.
XP-G2 on copper Noctigon.
Driver with L/M/H modes putting out 3A on high and capable of taking 2 Li-ions if need be.
Heatsink - for which I chose to used H22A heatsink developed for use with the Rebel reflector found in the new LED Maglites.
Aspherical lens.
Battery holder to take 6AA batteries for normal use.

The other build for my mate will be using the same parts except his Maglite is Black and he wanted an XM-L2 for more lumens despite the possible decrease in throw.
Unfortunately as I was in a hurry to complete his Maglite I didn't manage to get many photos along the way. :(

Once all of the parts were order and had arrived it was time to assemble.
First thing to do was to increase the size of the holes in the heatsink to allow for using thicker lower resistance wires.

After this it was time to attach the LED's to the heatsinks using a two part thermal epoxy.

Once these were left to dry the driver was soldered to the LED and attached to the bottom of the heatsink with thermal paste.

In the image above you can see the thicker wires used to connect the driver to the switch. Unfortunately the wires were too stiff and broke the contacts on the driver which meant replacing the driver with a new one and using lower gage wires which were more flexible.

I was now able to assemble the LED, heatsink, driver and switch inside the body of the Maglite. The heatsinks were a smidge to wide for the body of the Black Maglite, which required some of the anodising inside the body to be removed.

Once they were all inside the body of the Maglites I discovered the Aspherical lens rattles a bit inside the head. To solve this I cut the top off the original reflector which then held the Aspherical lens tight against the bezel.

And now they are complete!!! :D

I have tried to get some beam shots but was a complete waste of time due to me making a school boy error of not actually focusing the camera. So I will get you all some beam shots as soon as I can.

Hope you have all enjoyed reading this and I welcome any comments or questions.
Thanks and have a good day!

pyro1son

Newly Enlightened
I am trying! Messed up the last lot and now in the middle of my exam season so after all my exams I will bring you many beamshots!