Surefire L4 "Wall of Light" Questions

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
so I've seen more than a few times you guys referring to the L4 as a "wall of light."

Is that a particular version or emitter of the L4? What are the current L4 beams like?

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at this thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?275874-Surefire-KL4

Older LuxV version is probably that "wall of light" one and that's the KL4 that works with single primary cell... get's hot during use as it pulls 1.2 Amps from two fresh primary cells...

Second with SSC has less spill and hotspot... works only on two primary cells and (probably) two RCR's... reminds on output of P60L module a lot...

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
The LuxV was the Wall of Light... I still have a black one (on a Nerf Gun mounted Scout Light) that I refuse to let go. It is a great beam, I used to have an L4 and a couple L2s that had the same LED, I agree with Tana, they get hot when you run them a while. Nice in the winter, though! :)

My M60LFs are very similar, but more runtime and run cooler.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at this thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?275874-Surefire-KL4

Older LuxV version is probably that "wall of light" one and that's the KL4 that works with single primary cell... get's hot during use as it pulls 1.2 Amps from two fresh primary cells...

Second with SSC has less spill and hotspot... works only on two primary cells and (probably) two RCR's... reminds on output of P60L module a lot...

thanks a lot man! I had been searching on CPF through "L4" queries and not "KL4" searches. thanks man!

so they're basically the same output right?

Mikeg23

Enlightened
To me the newer SSC P4 seem brighter than the lux 5 version.

I recently acquired a black Kl4 with an XML now that's a wall of light! Has no real defined hotspot but it's still bright enough to throw some.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the old Lux version was rated at 60 or 80 lumens, where the newer SSC P4 was rated for 120, then later on 170 lumens (I don't think there was a change in output, just the rating).

For what it's worth, I didn't really care for the Lux version. Warmed up way too quickly, and didn't put out all that much light. For my money (on a 2 cell setup) I would want a SSC version modded with your choice of LED. I had a newest version L4 that was nice and bright, didn't get warm too quickly, but the tint was pretty bad (like the P60L). If you could fix the LED, you wouldn't need to mess w/ the driver.

Just my .02.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's what put me off from buying an L4. Maybe modded with an XPG2 with 120 OTF for longer runtime, maybe 6hrs? That would be my dream L4.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
so I've seen more than a few times you guys referring to the L4 as a "wall of light."

Is that a particular version or emitter of the L4? What are the current L4 beams like?

did you buy the sportac tripple ? that would be like an upto date version :)

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
That's what put me off from buying an L4. Maybe modded with an XPG2 with 120 OTF for longer runtime, maybe 6hrs? That would be my dream L4.

If you are looking for a brighter wall of light with a little more runtime on two primaries, a KX2C with an F04 on it might do the trick.

UVvis

Enlightened
Keep in mind that not all the KL4 heads using the LuxV emitter would work on a single primary cell. The earlier ones would, the older ones later.

The original rating on the Lux V's started at 60 lumens for 1hour. That got ramped up to 100lumens I believe when surefire updated how they tested for LED's. The large emitter and small reflector gave a very big/wide beam.

The SSC P4 KL4 heads that I have came with a more blue tint, as the LuxV were more likely to give you a slight yellow/green tint. They are brighter with a bit more reach. They seem brighter and more concentrated of a beam slightly.

I'll have to double check as I have several of each version laying around.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are looking for a brighter wall of light with a little more runtime on two primaries, a KX2C with an F04 on it might do the trick.

Yep, this is an excellent combo for spot or flood depending on need. Alternately, the Malkoff E2 head is excellent as well - it gives nice throw, with a great spill. I use a E2E with E2 head as my "bump in the night" light.

Last edited:

WDR65

Enlightened

The Lux V L4 and its wall of light was one of the best beam types of any flashlight I've ever used. As others have said run time was always the limiting factor.

The one light I have found that comes close to matching the L4's beamshape is the Quark AA2 X model. Its high mode is at least as bright as the original L4 was and it runs for over three hours at that level.

Its not a Surefire and I'd prefer a Surefire but the Quark's ability to use common batteries offsets this a little for me. I've also taken to using the E2L-A which gives a decent area beam with a fair amount of throw.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks. I'm not really after high output, 65-100 lumens would do. I'm just thinking that with an XPG2 and a good driver, that 65-100 lumens would last a loooong time on a L4 and two primaries. :)

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if Inova's T1 is still a wall if light? I remember when the L4 switched to the SSC P4 and lost it's wall of light beam, Inova updated their T-series with Luxeon's TFFC K2 which made the T1 the light to go to for those who wanted a light like the old L4.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L4 was the first E-series light that I bought and the one that caused my addiction for the small modular platform. (Still have it - SN#A00096)
The Lux V version was always a battery drainer and the Seoul version was ok.
The reflector seems to work well with almost every emitter that I've tried but, the XML2 is my favorite so far and focuses perfectly. It still provides a very bright wall of light with decent throw.
If SF would update the driver to multi-mode and the emitter to the XML2 they'd have a winner. All it would take is a heatsink redesign and new driver to bring life back into this beautiful design.

IMG_2564.jpg

IMG_2561.jpg

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could stuff triple LED inside the KL4 head for the real "wall of light"... over 1000 OTF lumens at 4.2 Amps...

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Thanks. I'm not really after high output, 65-100 lumens would do. I'm just thinking that with an XPG2 and a good driver, that 65-100 lumens would last a loooong time on a L4 and two primaries. :)

My first Malkoff drop in was an M60FL and as soon as I got it I retired my old L4. Maybe something like an M60FLL would be prefect for you. I really wish Elzetta would make lower output M60s (and warm ones!) with their license to make M60s.