incandescent vs luminescence

DimheadHarvent

Newly Enlightened
Hey people! Forgive me because I'm really a new beginner at lighting so thanks for your time Sensei and Senpai.

I was told that the 2 types of lighting incandescent and LED pretty much work different, one you have to excite the electron and transfer infrared to visible light and the other pretty much ultraviolet to visible light with phosphor, as a result the latter runs longer in the long term without burning out and gives out much more light with enhanced efficiency.

Though I was wondering if there's any disadvantages of LED and situations where you just have to use incandescent flashlights. Is it anything related to colour please and it would be helpful to list the pro and cons of both! Cheers everyone!:D

LanthanumK

Newly Enlightened
Incandescent lighting works using the principle of blackbody radiation. Every object emits EM radiation, the wavelength of which is determined by the temperature of the object. As the temperature rises from electrical resistance, the energy of the photons increases, shortening the wavelength. Eventually, it enters the visible spectrum, from red to orange to yellow to white. Because the light is coming from an object at a very high temperature, the majority of the energy is emitted as heat, not as light.

I am less versed in the mechanism of LED lighting on the atomic level, but I believe electrons flowing through a semiconductor cause excitation among electrons attached to atoms. When they fall back into their unexcited state, they release a specific wavelength of light with energy equal to the energy lost by the un-excitation. White light is the full spectrum of color so no single LED can output white light. Instead, a blue LED is used. The blue photons hit a phosphor coating, causing excitation of electrons. The phosphor electrons then return to their original state, emitting wavelengths of light in the process. A mix of phosphors is used to create white light. LEDs are far more efficient at converting electricity to light.

Many old-timers prefer the warm white coloration of incandescent lamps. They tend to project better through fog and smoke, and offer better color rendition. However, they burn out readily, run very hot, and have huge current draws. They have steadily become less popular over the years as LED technology has advanced.

White LEDs come in a wide variety of tints, some of which are more bluish while others are more yellowish. Cool white bluish LEDs are the most efficient and cheapest, but have poor color rendition and are disliked by many people. They abound in cheap flashlights. Warmer LEDs are more expensive and still very efficient, but can have color rendition comparable to incandescent.

Incandescent lights may have an edge in high temperature environments, but very few batteries can handle the high temperatures while producing the current levels necessary to run an incandescent lamp. LEDs have the edge in almost any other application.