LED lanterns

Tyler A

Newly Enlightened
I want to get a couple of LED lanterns, I like the features that the streamlight siege has but I would like something that runs off of AA, CR123s, or 18650s. Anyone been down this road already and have any suggestions.

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
How much light do you want and how large a lantern? NOTHING I know of in the LED or fluorescent tube lantern categories compares with the light output of a gas or propane Coleman mantle lantern or competitor. I keep a propane one in the house for use during power outages. I also have a 3D cell Rayovac lantern rated at about 200 Lumens IIRC that is useful but do not know of a CR123 or 18650 lantern. Most seem to be AA for small lanterns or D cell for the larger and more powerful ones. CR123s are expensive at normal retail and 18650 lights are flashlight hobbyist and specialty items. A higher power tail standing 18650 flashlight utilizing ceiling bounce for indoor light spread might provide what you want.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run my Seige on 3xAA using the Eneloop D-AA adapters. I'm not aware of any lanterns that run on 18650 or CR123, unless you were to put a diffuser over the bezel of a Solarforce L2 or Surefire 6P.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Siege myself.

You can find a number of lanterns that run on AAs - camping lanterns mostly, but they're out there.

I've never seen a traditional lantern that runs off cr123s, but you can buy the "lantern accessory kit" Solarforce offers. I haven't used one personally, but it fits on the end of your Solarforce light and turns it into a lantern.

Tyler A

Newly Enlightened
I run my Seige on 3xAA using the Eneloop D-AA adapters. I'm not aware of any lanterns that run on 18650 or CR123, unless you were to put a diffuser over the bezel of a Solarforce L2 or Surefire 6P.

How much does this knock the output down? Or is it just less run time?

Tyler A

Newly Enlightened
Yes, it would.

I am going to go ahead and get two siege lanterns and the adapters because I like everything I see about the siege except the D cells and I was not aware that these adapters existed. Thanks for the heads up. How do you like your siege? I plan to use them for power outages and camping

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure thing, glad to help. I LOVE mine - I've owned several lanterns over the years, and this is my favorite. I'm sure you'll be happy.

tango70601

Newly Enlightened
I thought someone - modding custom - was making a small 1xCR123 type latern ?

I am looking for something smaller that the siege.

LanternLover

Newly Enlightened
Amazon is giving a 15% discount on the Streamlight Siege and Rayovac Sportsman lanterns if you use a Discover card to pay. If you have a Discover card, now is the time to buy these.

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
The 3AA to D cell adapters carried by Battery Junction are also available on ebay for a lot less. I got 10 of them for $23 including shipping from China. Of course maximum run time is from true D cell NiMH batteries with capacities in the 8000 to 10000 mAh range.

rtginc

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to push our own product here. Single 18650 lantern with 3 x Cree XB-D LED's that have a CRI of 3000K. Waterproof, 15 brightness settings, and no lame cycling through modes using the power button or anything foolish like that.

Latest posts