New lights for 2004

Aaron

Newly Enlightened
Well, 2003 has come to a close, and what an unmemorable year. Did anything actually good come out in '03? Maybe most people didn't get the Tigerlight until '03, but I had mine in '02. It's a nice light, although some simple modifications would make it much nicer. The pepper spray container is suppossed to hold 2 oz. of spray, although the 3 containers I had seemed to hold less than 1 oz. The L4 was also nice, although I was hoping for a light with the throw of an E2E. SF couldn't even get that right! The L5 and L6 are totally not worth the outrageous amount of money that SF wants for a light no brighter than the L4, and won't even give any specs on! They have also failed to produce a single satisfactory rechargeable flashlight. I'm saying this with a 10X sitting nearby. The fact that they are not allowing sales on the internet in '04 just goes to show that they are circling the drain.

Streamlight is ok, and getting better, but there still hasn't been a "must have" from them since the Ultrastinger. I have heard a few good things about the TL-3 incandescent, but the fact that the beam can be adjusted isn't very good. They almost had me sold on it until I read about that feature.

So does anyone know if 2004 will be any less pathetic, or will my interest in this forum and this whole subject just fade away in the next few months?

paulr

Flashaholic
The L4 has a nice wide beam the way the designers intended. For long throw, you need a bigger reflector, which leads to the L5, which doesn't cost that much more than the L4. Yeah, the L6 appears to be a ripoff. If you really want monster throw in an LED light, I believe the Space Needle II's were all built in 2003, so maybe that will satisfy you. And the McModule/McLux PR developments have been great, at least from a tech buff's point of view.

The xenon TL3 is a nice light. I just got one. The adjustability isn't a problem. You adjust it when you change the bulb, then leave it alone. That beats the Surefire system where you have to buy a whole expensive bulb/reflector assembly just so they can set the focus at the factory.

There's been various nice developments in small LED lights and there's more coming, but I'll skip those since you seem mostly interested in high powered lights.

For 2004, look for lights with Lamina ceramic light chips (LED arrays of up to 2000 lumens), lights with fuel cells, instant start HID lights, who knows.

As for whether you stay interested, who cares? Flashaholism is just like any other hobby, people's interest in it comes and goes. Whether you stay interested is not anyone else's concern but yours.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Beam can be adjusted makes the light worse? I though it would be the other way. Like for close-up work, you don't have to carry a spare reflector to diffuse the light.

As for throw, I'm comparing the G2 vs Scorpion, both throw are very good and part of the reason that I picked the Scorpion is because its beam is adjustable.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Aaron said:
Well, 2003 has come to a close, and what an unmemorable year. Did anything actually good come out in '03? Maybe most people didn't get the Tigerlight until '03, but I had mine in '02. It's a nice light, although some simple modifications would make it much nicer. The pepper spray container is suppossed to hold 2 oz. of spray, although the 3 containers I had seemed to hold less than 1 oz. The L4 was also nice, although I was hoping for a light with the throw of an E2E. SF couldn't even get that right! The L5 and L6 are totally not worth the outrageous amount of money that SF wants for a light no brighter than the L4, and won't even give any specs on! They have also failed to produce a single satisfactory rechargeable flashlight. I'm saying this with a 10X sitting nearby. The fact that they are not allowing sales on the internet in '04 just goes to show that they are circling the drain.

Streamlight is ok, and getting better, but there still hasn't been a "must have" from them since the Ultrastinger. I have heard a few good things about the TL-3 incandescent, but the fact that the beam can be adjusted isn't very good. They almost had me sold on it until I read about that feature.

So does anyone know if 2004 will be any less pathetic, or will my interest in this forum and this whole subject just fade away in the next few months?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Your right, I don't know a single person who liked their Surefire A2, L4, L5, L6, Arc LSH-P, Arc LSHF-P, Streamlight TTL's & 5W'er, various mods based on these lights, PK1, Pila rechargeables, better bin luxeons, 3W luxeons, etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif

JimM

Newly Enlightened
It's been a bad year for me too....I now have a bunch of flashlights I didn't have last year. Some get used more than others, and all get used more than the ones I started with.
Pass the popcorn.
Jim

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Aaron,

I think you need to sell off all of your lights and start over. I think 2003 was a great year.

Here are a few of my highlights this year:
TigerLight improved their lamp
SureFire introduced the L4 - great light, by the way - I'll hold judgement on the L5 and L6.
Mr Bulk introduced the Baby Pin
ElektroLumens introduced the Blaster Jr
Several new pills and sandwiches
ARC AA
$1 key chain lights in Red Blue and White
I discovered the Hyper Lux V - very bright, maybe brighter than the L6 (and less expensive)
Boheman introduced their SF-990S - improved X990 HID

That is just my perspective. There is a whole lot more out there.

Tom

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight is ok, and getting better, but there still hasn't been a "must have" from them since the Ultrastinger. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Na, they haven't introduced many popular models: only SIX different models of Twin-Tasks, and Task Lights, The TL-2 series, both Xenon, and LED, the TL-3 series, both Xenon, and LED, the Night Fighter series, Propolymer series including the immensly popular 4AA7LED, 3C 10 LED, and Xenon equivelents.

They ONLY have sold a few zillion of these. It's a shame they haven't done anything new................................

And focusability IS a plus.

Other than the above comments, I agree with you.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL...trying to stir the pot...wake the board up, eh Aaron /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My problem is that there are to many nice lights out and my wallet hates that. I guess the gov didn`t consider flashlights when they announced the cost of living increases and my boss doesn`t care either.

There are other things to live for in this life...Night Hawk TV dinners...for example. And once or twice a year the wife might get frisky (hey, could happen).

I`m sure next year will be much better.

Ken

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have purchased 20 or more lights since Aug when I stumbled across this forum. Four Surefires and four ARCs and a few others, but I don't think my wallet can stand a good year if 2003 was a bad year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I swear by my L6. I have been using it for about 3 weeks, and it is the best light I have EVER used at work.

Pennsylvania state police is evaluating SF L5 and Tigerlight FBOP for the next issue lights....

nonbox

Banned
2003 was a good year.

2004 will be a great year with the ARC LS 5 and Pelican M6 LED.

What is SF cooking up for 2004?

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aaron, I feel the same way. Except for the L4 and streamlight comments, love mine. The E2e's throw isn't worth it being so weak.

Most disappointing, the L5/6. Same ouput as the L4 but different body styles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

richpalm

Banned
Sheesh.... when you look in the dictionary for 'cynical' you'll find my pic instead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif Nothing personal but for me this takes the cake... here goes.

In 2003:

Decided I needed "a good flashlight" for my night job.
Did a Google for "flashlight reviews."
Came right to Quickbeam's site.
Spent hours there!
Started out with a Stinger. (is stock & local)
Found CPF... nah, a forum on *flashlights?*
Discovered the existence of Flashlights for Real Men.
Went on the Surefire binge, built up a nice collection.
Found ARC-another love story. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Started reading about mods. ("these guys actually *do* this stuff?")
Fortunate enough to land 3 complete McLux'es
Met and made many friends (1st time in a long time for a loner like me) at NJ Photon Fests I & II.
Made many hassle-free swaps and purchases with fellow CPF'ers-none gone wrong at all-all over the world.
Started doing my own mods and the rest is history!
Most enjoyable 6 months I've had!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Methinks it was a pretty good year.

(I think my Mr Bulk PM6 is gonna stomp the L5 though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Rich

woodsman

Newly Enlightened
Surefire isn't allowing online sales in 04? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Guess it's time to start writing down some dealers phone numbers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

machulu

Newly Enlightened
hmmm... 2003 brought us the L4, A2, E2e and Arc LSH-P. All these lights were at one time considered to be must have EDC's... yeah, I guess nothing good came out this year.

~Stephen

paulr

Flashaholic
I thought the E2e was 2002, and anyway it's just a small improvement on the earlier model. LSH-P is sort of the same. That leaves the L4 and A2, both of which are quite interesting. And of course the Arc LS4 and LS5 are coming.

AR15Fan

Newly Enlightened
I'm pretty happy with the Inova 24/7, Pelican M6, Surefire A2, & ARC LSH-P that I bought in 2003.

I may still buy a L4.

I'm looking forward to the wide spread release of the Pelican M6 LED.

MXDan

Newly Enlightened
Pretty much all of the lights of 2003 were brand new to me, as, until then, I only had a Mag AA and 3D. Now that I've found Streamlight, Surefire, and Arc, I'm still catching up on what's already out there!

I am very interested in the new LEDs coming from Surefire, now that I'm mostly up to date with what's out there.