What to do with an old 2D Mag?

carmen

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I´m curious of trying to make a LED flashlight and I have an old incandascent 2D Mag that I could use as a body.
Any ideas?

As it will be my first project, I´d like to start easy just to learn the basics. Feel free to share your experiances of what to be extra careful with, what to think of, most common mistakes etc.

pyro1son

Newly Enlightened
What kind of modding would you be comfortable doing? Soldering?
Would you want to use Alkaline, Rechargeable or Li-ions?
Long run time or high output?

mags94

Newly Enlightened
How about just dropping in a Malkoff led unit, that's what I did with my old Maglite and it work well, nice and bright, I think Malkoff says it puts out 300lumes.

Mag

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
nutumeze.jpg

:D

carmen

Newly Enlightened
pyro1son: Soldering could be included later, but first I´d like to learn alittle bit of compability between LED´s and other parts, eg. if i want a SST-90, what do I have to think of when I choose driver etc, like needed regulated current and so on. Long runtime is not my first priority in the Mag. I´d go for high output to start with. Throw of flood doesnt really matter in this case. Perhaps it could be "floow-to-throw" adjustable.
I think I would have a good use of a DIY step-by-step (it doesn´t have to be 2D mag in that case, just for learning) of someone made his/her own light.
... and perhaps just start with a ready-to-go drop-in modules, i don´t know =)

mags94: Do you just change the head and still uses D-batteries for that?

fivemega: That sounds tempting to test. What kind of XML-bin is it (from T2-U2)? I couldn´t find where to find the spring and the pipe. Is it available somewhere?

Tmack: Looks great, but it´s not what I´m looking right now.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Direct hot link is not permited here but click on MY PRODUCTS bellow to find the link.

Ah ha, very promising and a nice price too, thank you.

fivemega: I couldn´t find where to find the spring and the pipe. Is it available somewhere?

He means PVC pipe from your local hardware store, and cutting the spring down so it's shorter and the batteries fit.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
For similar projects I bought cheap dollar store flashlights and used the smaller spring they contained. They seemed to fit just right...

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
fivemega: That sounds tempting to test. What kind of XML-bin is it (from T2-U2)? I couldn´t find where to find the spring and the pipe. Is it available somewhere?

Please check SKU: 126121 in DX website.
There are many other similar 8.4 volt triple XML you choose from. There are also 12.6 volt version to work with 3 li-ion 18650 in 3D M*g.
3/4" inside diameter PVC pipe is available in many hardware stores.