Magnetic Ring Mode Control

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
I really like the older Jetbeam and Nitecore magnetic ring control lights because the light intensity was continuously variable from nil to maximum without steps. I note that the latest Jetbeams have changed the design to indented steps and stepped light output. This is based on a RRT-3 and TCR10 Jetbeams recently received. I consider the stepped control and light output to be a retrograde step compared to my old Jetbeam TCR2, RRT-0 Raptor and Nitecore Infilux IFE2.:thumbsdow

How do other members feel regarding the change and what magnetic ring lights still retain the continuously variable light output control?

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hm.

My RRT-01 and TCR-01 are both fully infinitely variable without steps. When did they change?

ACruceSalus

Enlightened
Nitecore SRT3, SRT5, SRT6, SRT7 all have continuously variable control ring. The Sunwayman V11R does too. I have the SRT7 and I like it. As far as the other lights you mention I've never had one of those.

ACruceSalus

Enlightened
Ok I didn't realize that. My understanding was that it was infinitely variable. Can you tell me how you figured this out?

Also do you know if the Sunwayman V11r is also stepped like that too?

TY

EDIT: According to selfbuilt's review it is continuously variable but maybe I'm misunderstanding something here. "Performance is also top notch – regulation pattern and overall output/runtime efficiency is comparable to the defined-level, current-controlled P25. That's an impressive showing for a continuously-variable light."

Last edited:

pageyjim

Enlightened
Infinitly variable control ring is prob my favorite. I'm not sure if I could tell the difference between 36 steps and infinite in most lights so I have no complaints about that. But if manufacturers move from infinite to 4-5 steps it seems like a step backwards.

Ok I didn't realize that. My understanding was that it was infinitely variable. Can you tell me how you figured this out?

Also do you know if the Sunwayman V11r is also stepped like that too?

TY

EDIT: According to selfbuilt's review it is continuously variable but maybe I'm misunderstanding something here. "Performance is also top notch – regulation pattern and overall output/runtime efficiency is comparable to the defined-level, current-controlled P25. That's an impressive showing for a continuously-variable light."

Well in my mind "infinite" and "continuous" both mean "analog". These drivers are electronic, so I assume each of them has a set of current levels programmed into it. When I turn the ring on the SRT7 slowly, it moves without the output changing, then the light makes a slight jump. Try setting it at it's lowest brightness setting, and rotating the ring at about 2°/s, you should see what I mean.

I don't have a V11R, but I have a V10R and I can not detect any such steps. It is either analog or has more steps so they blend together better.

Capolini

Banned
I have the V11Rvn,,,,,it is an awesome and powerful little torch. It has that "Magnetic control ring" that is Continuously Variable. I like that feature.:twothumbs

I also like the control ring on my OSTS TN31mb,K40vn and TN32[Stock]. A bit different but having 6 levels of output plus strobe/stand by is nice and can be operated w/ one hand which comes in "Handy[!]" when I am walking my Siberian Husky!:D

ACruceSalus

Enlightened
You've revealed the men (36 of them) behind the curtain. I don't think I would have noticed otherwise. It won't make much of a difference to me though but it's nice to know. Thanks.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several lights with control rings. I like them because I can quickly choose a very low level of light or bright light without button pushing. Easy. Convenient....

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
I just received the Nitecore SRT7 and the very small steps noted above by electromage are not noticeable in normal use and the control ring is not indented in the main beam intensity control area so it most closely resembles my older Nitecore and Jetbeam lights, the IFE2, RRT-O Raptor and TCR2 Titanium. I consider it to be continuously variable effectively and as a bonus the red leds are just about the right intensity for use as a star chart reading red light for amateur astronomers use. I definitely consider the new TCR10 Titanium to be a retrograde step compared to my old TCR2 or the current Nitecore SRT7.

Personally I wish all LED lights had a means of continuous brightness adjustment. I have some of the old Olight Infinitum lights which also allowed continuous adjustment over their beam intensity range. Not nearly as convenient as the magnetic ring control though.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
I have the v11r also with magnetic infinite control,works superb imo,really nice feel,not too loose or tight so does not move accidental.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the idea of infinitely variable lights, it would really solve a lot of the Goldilocks problems I have with my night vision and low low fixed modes always being a little too bright or too dim. Unfortunately, the power consumption of magnetic rings sort of kill one of the primary reasons I love low lows in the first place - runtime. QTC is very efficient, but too finicky for me.

zebraa

Newly Enlightened
The sunwayman V25C is a GREAT magnetic control ring light.

The lows are ridiculous. I mean even lower then the lowest lows on my Zebralights. Its wonderful for night vision adapted situations.

I just wish it came with a pocket clip.

Oh, and if you don't like Cool White, somebody can probably swap the LED for you. I got mine direct from Vinhguy and he put in a 4000K emitter, which I am digging :D

lyyyghtey

Newly Enlightened
I too am looking for another light of this design. It seems to be the best UI for my needs, but as I found that is highly dependent on implementation.

I have a SWM V20C but it leaves something to be desired in terms of having too few degrees of rotation to select the output level. Also it is a bit too large for my preferred size now that I also carry a Eagletac S200C2 for throw. The Nitecore SRT7 has an OFF position like the V20C, but it would also be too large.

I also owned a V20A and it had plenty of rotation degrees. But it does not have a 'standby OFF' positon at the lowest end of the ring, so the light must constantly be flipped end over end to turn on/off before/after adjusting output at the head. (Nitecore's Infilux appears to be the same way.) In addition to being extremely annoying, this flipping is a problem because of the type of work I do. Also both lights would be somewhat low-powered for my needs after converting to my preferred Nichia 219 hi-CRI LED.

I've been looking at the Niteye EYE15, which DOES have an OFF position on the ring. (don't care that it lacks a tailcap switch.) It is also an ideal size, power level and battery type for my purposes! And though it has a limited number of detented steps, it can be reverted to infinite with a mod. Unfortunately what can't be so easily fixed is that it doesn't go below 5 lumens. :eek::shakehead Even with the Nichia 219 hi-CRI mod I intend to do, that still leaves it well above the 1 lumen max. I would prefer.

I was looking at the SRT5, which uses the preferred 18650 and is still a decent size, but lacks the OFF position. Also at its maximum it is probably too powerful for conversion to a 219.

Aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!!! It seems I can't have everything all at once. I'm probably going to wind up settling for the Niteye because it is the closest, unless something else crops up real soon!!

:whistle:

leaftye

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore SRT3, SRT5, SRT6, SRT7 all have continuously variable control ring. The Sunwayman V11R does too. I have the SRT7 and I like it. As far as the other lights you mention I've never had one of those.

I don't believe any of those dim below the perception of sensitive human eyes. I was able to sit in a bright room and see when the V11R emitter turned off. With the RRT01 I couldn't tell even after twenty minutes in a completely dark room.

I'll also +1 that the V11R didn't have any steps, except for that first one.

Taz80

Enlightened
I have a EYE10 that I run on a 18350, it has the 11 (I think) steps. It goes so low you can't tell its on unless you in a dark room. I like it better than the V11R for a work EDC because its only one step to turn it on, no flipping.

lyyyghtey

Newly Enlightened
I have a EYE10 that I run on a 18350, it has the 11 (I think) steps. It goes so low you can't tell its on unless you in a dark room. I like it better than the V11R for a work EDC because its only one step to turn it on, no flipping.

Hmmm... That's a great suggestion. I think the size might actually be a bit small for my needs (big hands and clumsy work conditions) but it does bring to mind something I thought I read once: that some of these EYE lights can perhaps be legoed. :thumbsup:Maybe a EYE10 or EYE12 head would fit the EYE15 body and give me both the OFF position on the ring and the very low output possibilities I would like... although it would mean buying two lights instead of one and the money is tight now.

Taz80

Enlightened
In post #54 in Bigmac 79's review of the EYE15 peterscm confirms that the heads are interchangeable.