How often do new flashlights come out?

SigSauer27

Newly Enlightened
Since I started CCW I'm interested in getting a light to carry as well. I've been researching for a bit and think I will buy the new Thrunite TN12 2014. I would hate to buy this and then see another model 1up this one. Since I'm new to this field I figure I'd ask the collectors.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
That's the name of the game with almost any hobby, but just because something brighter or longer runtime comes out doesn't make your light any less useful.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
New lights come out almost daily. You simply choose something that has the output and beam pattern and ui etc....that will work for you, and use it until you feel you wish it was better, and if better enough, get whatever works better enough to be worth it.

Some lights just get it right enough that you just keep using them even when others can outperform them, as they simply do the job for you.

:D

UnderPar

Enlightened
Since I started CCW I'm interested in getting a light to carry as well. I've been researching for a bit and think I will buy the new Thrunite TN12 2014. I would hate to buy this and then see another model 1up this one. Since I'm new to this field I figure I'd ask the collectors.

For this model, I think you will be safe for the rest of the year coz this is the 2014 model. Next year will be a different story, lol.

BrianHook

Newly Enlightened
Almost daily. But before buying flashlights one should keep three things in mind and i.e. brightness, portability and function-ability.

ven

Flashaholic
Think TEEJ pretty much nailed it,other wsie you would never buy a light.

Check the 2014 fenix/nitecore/olight etc catalogues out(search on here should find them) this will help of any potential new releases that might be more suited.

But being realistic nothing this year,probably next will dramatically change from last imo...........if its a smaller light and high power its going to step down due to heat,go off UI, size,reputation of brand,ideally with good customer back up and enjoy your purchase.Nothing wrong with doing some research,but i find too much can kill it a bit to sometimes.

Lots of good lights out there,check review section out on here for any your not sure on or ask if a couple of lights you like and stuck,always 1 or 10 who will have it and used it:twothumbs

Oh and dont bank on 1 light!!!! there is no perfect light,nothing wrong with having a few to rotate,different tints etc

and:welcome:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it works for you today, it will work for you in 5 years (assuming it still functions, of course). Don't get caught up in needing the latest and greatest, and don't think you need 200 more lumens just because it's available.

My favorite "tactical" light is a 6P or Z2 with a Malkoff M61. It's "only" pushing 200 lumens, but it works just as well today as it did 4 years ago.

besafe2

Enlightened

Welcome to CPF. Most of the folks that post here know much more than I do, but imo can't go wrong with a Surefire light.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Honestly, it's like "Flavor of the Month" most of the time. Occasionally, "Flavor of the Week."

Though if you're going to carry the light in conjunction with a defensive weapon, you're better off with a slightly older flashlight model that has been time-tested and proven reliable. (No teething issues.) A slight drop in output is far from a huge disadvantage in order to get proven reliability over the Latest & Greatest.

ven

Flashaholic
Honestly, it's like "Flavor of the Month" most of the time. Occasionally, "Flavor of the Week."

Though if you're going to carry the light in conjunction with a defensive weapon, you're better off with a slightly older flashlight model that has been time-tested and proven reliable. (No teething issues.) A slight drop in output is far from a huge disadvantage in order to get proven reliability over the Latest & Greatest.

Thats an excellent point!!! as its not unusual for some new lights to have some teething issues,going with a light that has been out for a while(dont mean 5yrs) but a good few months can usually reward you with issue free enjoyment:twothumbs something to certainly bare in mind:D