Replacing a McClicky switch

Megatrowned

Enlightened
I was just asked by a fellow forum member what the best way is to replace the McClicky switch in a Mac Tri-EDC. I thought I would post the simple (I hope) instructions I came up with. If anyone has any other suggestions regarding different methods or tools to use, let's hear about it :thumbsup: And if you have any instructions or tips on replacing switches in other lights, let's hear about that too.

"Replacing the McClicky in a Mac is really simple. There are just two parts which need to be unscrewed.

First, the retaining ring. What I used was a dental pick I got at a gun show. I just hooked one hole, and pulled in a counterclockwise direction. Any small tool that won't bend easy could work, even a finely pointed tweezers. Just be creative looking for something that fits. Note, that plastic is soft and easily scratched/gouged, if this matters to you. Then you just pull out the switch boot.

Next, the McClicky. Yes, just a standard one. Here, a small needle nose pliers works best. Stick the tips of the jaws in the two holes and unscrew. Make sure to take the battery out first so it's not putting pressure on the spring. You can clean up the lip where the switch meets the battery tube with Deoxit if you want. This insures a good electrical connection, but it's not necessary. Just be sure it's clean, and there's no grease here. Then you just do the reverse with a new switch to put it back together.

I hope this helps Enjoy your Tri."

Austin

Latest posts