What's a Tigerlight good for?

paulr

Flashaholic
What\'s a Tigerlight good for?

They're having a special at www.tigerlight.net and I'm very tempted. Please help talk me out of it. If you have a Tigerlight, what do you do with it? I ask myself what I would do with one if I had one (note, I'd get the FBOP version with no pepper spray):

Would I take it hiking or camping? No, it's too bulky and weighs too much. Even my new Streamlight TL3 is heavier than I'd probably bother with. I'll stick with my UKE 2L or PT Blast. I just haven't needed anything brighter for camping.

Self defense on the dark and lonely streets? Nah I'd never bother to bring it (too heavy), and anyway I think of that application as hokey. And even if I believed in it, the TL3 or Surge is better for this (easier to carry) even if not as bright.

Would I keep it in the car? That's a legitimate use but I probably wouldn't do it. The NiMH self-discharge rate is enough that I'd have to install a charger in the car with the light charging all the time, and maybe I'd have to leave the light visible in the cabin where it would attract thieves. I have a PT Surge in the glove compartment already and that should be enough for most purposes. Next step up in throw would probably be a UKE SL6. Next after that would be a Vector spotlight. The Tigerlight really doesn't fit in.

Would I use it as a duty light? Nah, I'm not a LEO, I sit on my butt in front of a computer all day.

Would I show it off to impress my friends? Maybe once in a while, but a Surefire L4 is IMO better for that purpose. The L4 is much more portable and while dimmer than the Tigerlight, people are surprised to see so much light from a tiny thing. Also, since my friends are mostly geeks, the techno factor of a powerful LED light is a big plus.

Would I fondle it admiring its looks and appreciating the artistry of its design? No, I have a McLux for that. And if I wanted to do that with a monster incandescent, nothing but an SF M6 could really satisfy. The Tigerlight is pretty utilitarian and its placement of the on-off switch near the tail has always struck me as silly. I guess it's for the benefit of users of the pepper spray model.

Would I sit around shining it at the wall of my room, comparing its beam to other flashlights? Yeah, probably quite a lot. I've been doing that with my new TL3 for the past couple days and have probably close to used up a set of CR123's doing that without even taking it out of the house. A rechargeable light would be much less wasteful in this regard. But that doesn't seem like a good reason to spend $100+ on a flashlight. (The TL3 has actually been useful when vacuuming since it makes crud on the carpet very visible. I now understand the story posted a while back by the guy who thought something was wrong with his SF 10X because the battery kept going dead and it turned out his wife was using it for vacuuming and draining it. Again though, buying a Tigerlight just for vacuuming is crazy).

So it looks like a great light in search of an application. I suspect a lot of its buyers are in sort of the same boat as me.

CPF motto: buy both /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Re: What\'s a Tigerlight good for?

Hello Paulr,

If all you are planing to do with the TigerLight is check your walls for variations in texture, don't get it. The beam is not smooth enough at close range for that.

The TigerLight is a good general purpose work light. I use mine a lot.

I am involved with the Boy Scouts and we go car camping to introduce the younger Scouts to camping skills. I bring it along and find I go through a battery pack in a weekend. In the summer we go on high adventure outings and the TigerLight stays home because it is too heavy. We have a lot of week end outings and it gets a lot of use there as well.

I also use it around the house. I have not tried vacuuming with it, but have found missing parts under the buffet with it. It also comes in handy while crawling under the house or in the attic to check thing out.

The neighbor lost their cat in a blackberry bramble and the TigerLight showed where the cat was. The cat got out by himself after they opened a can of tuna.

Another neighbor was working on his truck with a 2 AA Mini Mag. I came over with the TigerLight and helped him get his truck running again. The WOW factor was great.

My son has a rental house that he is fixing up. The TigerLight gets a lot of use there as well. It is tough enough to handle routine drops and rough handling and still works great.

I also use it for a "things that go bump in the night" light. We have deer, racoons, opposoms, and the occasional prankster (high school kids - I remember those years...). It is quite good at identifying threats.

I am not sure if it is the right tool for you, but it has served me very well.

Tom

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was just looking at their durability demo video. Very impressed with the beating it can take!

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
They're having a special at www.tigerlight.net I ask myself what I would do with one if I had one

Would I take it hiking or camping? No.

Self defense on the dark and lonely streets? Nah.

Would I keep it in the car? I probably wouldn't do it.

Would I use it as a duty light? Nah.

Would I show it off to impress my friends? a Surefire L4 is IMO better for that purpose.

Would I fondle it admiring its looks and appreciating the artistry of its design? No.

Would I sit around shining it at the wall of my room, comparing its beam to other flashlights? Yeah. But that doesn't seem like a good reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, but do you love her?

Opps...sorry, got confused...not woman...flashlight... Gee, I guess you better hurry up and get one before the sale ends or their all gone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bwcaw

Enlightened

Ah, stop trying to be "reasonable" just buy one for crying out loud! You will use it a lot because it is free to use! You don't have to fill her up with a bunch of 123's everytime you want to light up the night, you just grab her from her charging cradle and go. And it is about the toughest light I own! I dropped my M6 from about two feet onto concrete once, and it damaged the edge of the bezel and dinged up the side, but i dropped my tigerlight from about 5 feet and it landed on solid concrete without even a scratch in it's extremely durable ha finish! The lamp assy was intact, and the tigerlight shock iso system while being quite simplistic, proved its superiority to lights that cost three times as much! It is a really awesome light! You absolutely can't go wrong with one period.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a 8 inch FBOP currently for work (campus security patrol staffed by students) and find it plenty bright for the usual things, looking into dark corners, going up the fire escape stair cases that have no working lights, and other routine things. It is also VERY bright. I made a small group of drunken college kids (4 or 5 of them) step back and hold their eyes while running away due to the brightness of it (they were obviously smoking pot, and they thought it was the police, well maybe the police car parked on the street was of help too.)

Its rechargable. Guilt free lumens as someone on this forum put it. I keep my charging while off duty and its ready to go the next night.

I had my Tigerlight for about 2 1/2 months now. The bulb recently failed on me. I explained my situation to Tigerlight and they should have one in the mail for me soon.

Its not awefully big either for the light output. Its a little, VERY little bit bigger than a SF M6. The TL fits inside a M6 holster made by Blackhawk or SOE.

I have a few chips on my TL from daily use. Basically getting knocked around on the job.

I like my TL, its a great light, it has its applications and I want to get a 11 inch OC spray TL soon.

Jason

paulr

Flashaholic

Yeah, if I were using it for work every night, the Tigerlight would be a no brainer. I just like smaller lights most of the time. I do like rechargeables even though I don't use them enough to really justify their cost (recharger+4 AA NiMH = 20 bucks or so, and it would take me many years to actually use 20 bucks worth of alkalines in a flashlight). But around the house I usually reach for a light with rechargeables in it just to not feel like I'm throwing away money by running the light. I even had a NiMH in my CMG Ultra-G for a while. So I'd been thinking of getting a Streamlight Polystinger which is nice and compact and has a spare bulb in the tailcap, when the Tigerlight sale came along. But except for spare bulb and the convenience of the charging stand, which is a much bigger benefit if you're using the light every day, I can save a lot vs. the Polystinger just by putting NiMH cells in my PT Surge.

How do you like the location of the on-off switch on the FBOP?

kinzli

Newly Enlightened

Haha, when my wife and I go for a walk around the neighborhood at night, I carry the Tigerlight in my hand (FBOP) and my L4 on my belt. If a stray cat comes towards us, shining the TL into the cat's eyes always brings about the same response - the cat gets this wierd look on his/her face, blinks his/her eyes, and turns his/her head the other direction, then slowly walks away, as if stunned. Dogs do the same thing.

I've also found that it stops crazed kids in their tracks, and you don't even have to blind them to get their attention, they just see the amazing light output and they go "Holy moly, I don't wanna mess with *that*" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Buy the TL, you'll be glad you did. It's just way cool.

Of course, the L4 is just a champion of sheer photon output on a dark night...but the TL gives that lightsabre beam, and a long, bright spot.

paulr

Flashaholic

Yes, I really haven't had problems with dogs or kids on dark nights, and I'd hope the TL3 would have about the same effect as the Tigerlight. But as you can tell, I'm still tempted.

chr00t

Newly Enlightened

I used to have Tigerlight FBOP in past and now my Tigerlight is gone by stolen last summer time. Anyway, I went Ontario, Canada for my vacation. My friend who live in very rutual country has no street light with many miles long street. One day we had big party at my friend's place with 20 peoples. One of my friend lost something and they could not find during very dark with weak maglite. I decide going take my Tigerlight from my Jeep. I fliped turn on the Tigerlight and everybody got blind by my flashlight. They asked me wow where did you get it. They were very interested buy one and Tigerlight *really* very bright in total dark area. It helped my friend found her key in grass land.

I used Tigerlight flashlight most of time Jeep relate, 4x4 offroad and mechanic with nice light brightest cover.

Funny thing 5th times the Police came my place for someone complained and called police on me due gun shot sound. I live in desert rutual area and my dog kept barking all night. I decide shot a 12ga bird shell to the tree to scare someone who traspass or animal traspass in my 1 acre land. When Police came my place with his shitty Maglite with lot ringy and I took my Tigerlight gave blind police. They screamed at me put flashlight down. LOL!

I know it's not supposed and i could end up get shot by them. I told police that i am deaf person and good thing they were aware of deaf living that property (my house property) whew... I told police why not get a Tigerlight flashlight. He commented said cant afford expensive tigerlight. I told him it cost him only 80-90 dollars and I also told police that they get paid good income no difference?? duh him. next day he bought Tigerlight and stop by my place. I was puzzled and he thankful me for gave him where to purchase with cheap costs. hee hee

I am saying Tigerlight is very worth to have one. I guaranteed Tigerlight will not disappoint you.

paulr

Flashaholic

Good story /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Where did you get a Tigerlight for 80-90 dollars? The FBOP is on sale at www.tigerlight.net for 119 dollars including a spare battery pack (normally 50 dollars) which I don't really need. I figured if I sell the spare pack on BST for 35 dollars, I get the light for about 85, but that's a special sale price. If I can get it somewhere for that much without a special sale, that's great. Thanks.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Paulr,

The TigerLight switch takes a little time to get use to, but once you have it down, it is no problem at all.

Tom

lionken07

Newly Enlightened

I was wondering, how long does the tigerlight blub last?

Wave

Newly Enlightened

I carry the pepper spray model out on patrol(Yeah, I'm an LEO) and I also like the fact that I can also mount it under my AR-15 rifle. Oh, and being a typical "cheap" cop there's nothing better than those guilt free lumens. It's big and I wouldn't consider it for EDC...that's what my ARC LSL-S is for.

I just recieved my UCL lens from flashlightlens.com and will put that on tonight.

Slightly off topic: Anyone mod one yet?

GeorgeB

Newly Enlightened

Hi paulr,

I use my Tiger light as my car light. I have the DC charger mounted on a steel plate, that is mounted to the front of my drivers seat framework. The light is not visible from the outside, but is very handy when I step out. I got my first one from Tigerlight last year on their Christmas special, then Dan at www.tacticalwarehouse.com had an "offer I couldn't refuse", so now I own two! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I would highly recommend the light to anyone who loves flashlights.

GeorgeB
PS: It's just money! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

chr00t

Newly Enlightened

the http://www.tacticalwarehouse.com/ offer on sale for the tigerlight. That what my friends bought for cheap Tigerlight flashlight.

[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Good story /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Where did you get a Tigerlight for 80-90 dollars? The FBOP is on sale at www.tigerlight.net for 119 dollars including a spare battery pack (normally 50 dollars) which I don't really need. I figured if I sell the spare pack on BST for 35 dollars, I get the light for about 85, but that's a special sale price. If I can get it somewhere for that much without a special sale, that's great. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

chr00t

Newly Enlightened

My tigherlight's bulb was last pretty long even few careless drop 4-5 feet hit the cement floor. That's last time after my TL was stolen. I had UCL (flashlightlens.com) on my TL and it gave me 10% more brighter light.

[ QUOTE ]
lionken07 said:
I was wondering, how long does the tigerlight blub last?

[/ QUOTE ]

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Why to get a Tigerlight? Because there simply is nothing in its price range that can put out such a wall of light, rechargeable or not. Even if you think 3 cell HOLA surefires are comparable, after an hour, I pop my TL back in its charger and you've gone through three sets of batteries already. The switch location becomes second nature after you use it. I thought it would be silly too. Its not. I was also concerned with the diameter of the light making it awkward since I have small hands. Its not.

You can't use your Surge in candle mode like you can with the TL and its nowhere close to being as durable. The nimh batteries hold a charge for quite a bit (haven't had one drain down on me yet). Trust me, its a great purchase and can be used for lots of things.

Mark

paulr

Flashaholic

Fasty, thanks, I remember TW had a sale on the OC Tigerlight but the FBOP was NOT on sale at that time. Currently TW's are not on sale so are more expensive than tigerlight.net's sale.

Minjin, yes, I understand what you mean, that's why I feel the temptation. Still, wanting the brightest possible flashlight is sort of like wanting the loudest possible stereo, and I thought I'd gotten past that when I bought my CMG Infinity Classic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Anyway, I can get even more light from a 20 dollar Vector spotlight if I don't mind the weight.

What do you mean about using the TL in candle mode? You mean you can stand it on end, but with the bezel still on normally? I agree that's useful though it's even more useful with a longer-running light.

Basically a TL and a Surefire L4 cost about the same and I'd probably find the L4 much more useful/enjoyable. But I'm pretty likely to get an L4 sooner or later regardless, so it's mainly a question of whether to get this TL while it's on sale.

Adding to the dilemma, they're offering 2 lines of free laser engraving, making it tempting to get my name and URL on the light. But that would mess up the resale value if I ever get tired of it.

chr00t

Newly Enlightened

Yes, Keep eye on Dealer TW will offer sale for Tigerlight. I tried get FBOP on sale but Tigerlight.net told TW NO! Only it let TW offer sale on OC. That's why I turned TW down their offer. I am waiting for TL decide offer FBOP sale. I will grab it.

[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Fasty, thanks, I remember TW had a sale on the OC Tigerlight but the FBOP was NOT on sale at that time. Currently TW's are not on sale so are more expensive than tigerlight.net's sale.

[/ QUOTE ]

Latest posts