SF R1 Lawman strobe experience - traffic regulation

prop

Newly Enlightened
I posted this on another forum in response to the usefulness of the strobe feature, but I thought id share it with you too.

I've always thought that strobe was a useless gimmick. I didn't care for it and preferred my flashlights didn't come with the strobe feature.

A couple of months ago I purchased a Surefire R1 Lawman to use on duty. It's a programmable light with a strobe in program 2. I kept my light in program 1, because i didn't see any need for the strobe. I could never dream of using it in a tactical context. I know that the Dutch police have conducted a study on strobes and found the useful in certain situation, so much that they're standard issue now. Of course, they have the training needed and the lights are built according to their specification with a specific UI and flash per second. We do not receive any training whatsoever, so ill leave the tactical use of strobes for the experts out there.

Anyways, I was one of several patrols a couple of weeks ago on the night shift and was sent to a stretch of highway, where a fatal crash occurred, involving several cars. All lanes were blocked and the traffic quickly came to a standstill. The patrol on site had to turn traffic around and send them back against the traffic direction to the nearest ramp. That's where me and my partner was stationed. Our job, was to block the highway a couple of miles away, and lead traffic up the ramp and off the highway.

We parked our patrol car sideways across both lanes with parking lights on and the blue lights flashing. We were both wearing hi-vis yellow traffic vests and placed 5 LED traffic strobes across both lanes to signal our position to the oncoming traffic.

Nevertheless, several vehicles would come speeding directly as us, as if they hadn't noticed the barrage of flashing blue lights and there were a couple of close calls, where they braked at the last possible minutes. I don't know how one can miss so many blue lights AND a white/blue patrol car parked sideways. I can only suspect, that people have somehow become desensitized to flashing blue lights. I remembered that my Lawman had a strobe, so i thought I'd give it a go. (I couldn't remember for the life of me, how to change programs, so between the waves of cars, I actually had to Google Robin Wangs R1 Lawman review on my smartphone, to figure it out!)

I noticed a immediate effect with the strobe. People would brake much sooner and slow down to a standstill a safe distance from our position.

I had the strobe beam placed on the stretch of road directly ahead of the oncoming vehicles. If the vehicle got too close, id place the beam so the upper edge of the spill was on the car's hood. Most would brake the same instant i turned on the strobe, but there were a couple of idiots that kept on speeding toward us. As they got dangerously close, id point the 750 lumen strobe directly at the driver. It was devastatingly effective. I could see at a distance of around 50-100 yards how the vehicles occupants would turn their head away and instinctively slam on the brakes.

Traffic regulation is dangerous business. Accidents involving inattentive drivers are far too common and there have been too many officers killed at the scenes of accidents. Imagine what it's like in pitch black darkness and on highways. I found the strobe so effective, that I vowed to never go on patrol again without a flashlight with the strobe feature.

I now keep my Lawman I program 2, as I find the strobe activation "hidden" well enough to prevent accidental activation.

kj2

Flashaholic
Great to read how flashlights can help people, and specially, they can save lives.
As a driver, I can't imagine you don't notice police lights in front of you.

LanthanumK

Newly Enlightened
On an open road, strobe functions are great for warning approaching drivers of a hazard. However, as a pedestrian, I would be less likely to use a high powered strobe on a straying driver. The likelihood of causing an accident is just too high.

kj2

Flashaholic
On an open road, strobe functions are great for warning approaching drivers of a hazard. However, as a pedestrian, I would be less likely to use a high powered strobe on a straying driver. The likelihood of causing an accident is just too high.

Would be nice if you have different brightness-levels with strobe.

LedTed

Enlightened
Great post prop,

In hopes to not hijack your thread, but to add to your point about the usefulness of strobe feature in regards to controlling traffic, I'd like to share my own civilian experience from yesterday.

While going to work, I used the ramp (on / off) to access a highway. The two lane (north / south) ramp is part of the frontage road; with stop signs on both ends of that section as well.

As I approached the curve doubling back towards and allowing access to the highway, I noticed a pair (female / male) of wild turkeys behind the highway fence. At the exact moment I approached the birds' location, the female turkey decided to fly over the fence. From her trajectory, I could tell that the bird was going to land at the front-right side of my car. So, of course, I judiciously applied my brakes and then immediately turned on my car's flashers. As a surprise to me, the car in the oncoming lane did much the same as I. This spontaneously performed dual maneuver allowed the bird time and space to land and walk safely across the ramp.

This was all well and good until a minute later when the byrd in the car behind me arrived; for she had nearly hit my car. Then, instead of taking any time to assess the situation or even look where she was driving, blindly lurched her car backwards; as to position herself for jetting between my car and the other so temporarily halted car in the oncoming lane.

As soon as the dumb byrd jerked her car backwards, I retrieved my trusty NiteCore D11 V2 from its position clipped to my front left pocket, and strobe the stupid byrd now heading for the wild bird. As the brainless byrd was still behind me, I could not see where my flashing beam landed. But it did make her immediately stop, thusly and most probably keeping her from driving over the other bird.

I wonder which of the two dim brains was dumber?

Last edited:

inetdog

Enlightened
"Dim brain" --> Interesting mental images of brains in moonlight or beacon mode to conserve mental power....
Also Far Side cartoon of a snake with an idea: Thought balloon with tubular fluorescent in it. :)

Last edited:

Ladp.1

Newly Enlightened
It's pretty scary how little pay attention when they're driving. Last year, I was driving a company vehicle on a very busy city street at rush hour when I learned the hard way that it had a messed up gas gauge. I stopped behind some cars at a traffic light in the left lane and the engine died. Well I felt like a schmuck. I turned on the blinkers and was planning on walking to a station a couple blocks away to get gas but cars kept coming up on me and would break at the last second. I decided I needed help because that 3500 Chevy van was now a big traffic hazard! I called the police and in the meantime, I put my zebralight H51r on its strobe mode (more of a fast beacon really) ans set it on the back bumper pointed straight back. It definitely got people's attention much more effectively until the kind officer arrived and pushed the van into the turn lane and put out a few road flares. He was even nice enough to drive me to the gas station!

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remembered that my Lawman had a strobe, so i thought I'd give it a go. (I couldn't remember for the life of me, how to change programs, so between the waves of cars, I actually had to Google Robin Wangs R1 Lawman review on my smartphone, to figure it out!)
Glad I could help. :)

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Things I have observed over the years when it comes to traffic control at collision scenes is that sometimes all of the excess warning lights blend into the background and for those who don't know the area very well, they may not even realize the road is being blocked at all. A sudden, overwhelmingly bright flashing light will get their attention and they can then see that yes, there are indeed people in the road trying to direct them around the problem. Personally I do think it a good idea to require all US emergency vehicles to use blue lights...but I dunno if that will ever happen.

JulianP

Enlightened
I also love the strobe function on my keychain light. I've used it many times to signal to my daughters, somewhere in the crowd, that I'm ready to pick them up. Strobes are annoying, but great in emergencies.