5 flex into one tail

MeCasa

Newly Enlightened
I want to run 5 RGBW off of one tail. The length of the individual led strips is 24" each

What is the neatest way to do this
Does the tail have to be heavier wire?

Thank you
MeCasa

inetdog

Enlightened
Pigtails on the strips and wirenuts to join them all together to the tail would meet electrical codes but would not look good if exposed.
Wiremold with a surface box for the junction for each strip would look better.
The wire in the tail has to be sized to handle the sum of the strip currents, so you need to know the amps per strip, with the common wire carrying three times the single color current.
Then look at the wire size needed both for carrying capacity and voltage drop. Again, the common may need to be bigger.

MeCasa

Newly Enlightened
Do they make a 5 pin screw down connector block where I can run ..for example: all five blue into one side of the block and the tail leading to controller on the other side?

Thanks

MeCasa

Newly Enlightened
Here's the LED specs, there will be (5) pieces, every piece will be 24" long

Specifications:
Color: RGBW and White Mixed
View angle:120°
Working Voltage: 12V DC
LED Quantity: 300 5050 led SMD /5 M(150pcs RGB SMD and 150pcs White SMD)
Working Current/Meter: 6A
Output power: 72W /5 Meter
Working Temperature:-20 to 50°
Protection Rate: IP65 Waterproof
Size: L500cm (5M) x W10cm x T0.20cm

I found these connectors on ebay, the first says 10A and the 2nd says 30A although I would not be shocked if they are the same.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10A-Termina...712?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53fc12d718

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wire-Connec...265?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a06ac7689

Would either of these work?

Thank you

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those specs don't add up. At 12V, 6A would give you 72W. It says 6A/meter, but 72W/5meters.

More likely it's 6A/5 meters.

Anyway, either of those connectors should work. They are not the same, note the first is 120mm long, the second 158. Believe it or not, that is quite possibly enough to explain the factor of 3 in the current rating. Current ratings are a bit dodgy. I've seen connectors with three different ratings from three different agencies.

MeCasa

Newly Enlightened
I'll buy the 30Amp since the wire slots are probably larger to accomodate the 5 upstream wires.

Thank you Sir...I appreciate your help ;-)