Strion 74001 tailcap switch or battery?

rocksan

Newly Enlightened
I have a Strion 74001 s/n 44439 that I got about 7 or 8 years ago. If I had a short list of things to grab when running out of my house because it was on fire, this light would be on it. That the battery needs replacement is a no brainer. My question is this - the tailcap switch is acting a little funky. On its best effort full charge, depressing the switch works but if I back off the pressure just a tiny bit, the light goes dim. The same with the constant on - when I twist it on, it works but if I depress the tail switch just a little, the light goes dim. Is this related to the done battery or is it a mechanical issue? I have looked for a replacement switch but have not found one for the 74001, I have seen part number 747013 but also conflicting info on whether it will work properly on the 74001. Also the current 74001s are not the same as this one.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Go to Streamlight's web page and look for repair/warranty stations in your area. If close, you could walk it in and they will fix it for free. I live near a large city so it's easy for me.

Bill

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's not really a switch, it presses the battery into the dual springs in the lamp/charging point assembly. you could remove the lamp mount assembly, make the contact springs a bit longer, so they are stiffer, and press against the battery when the tailcap is pressed.

rocksan

Newly Enlightened
Go to Streamlight's web page and look for repair/warranty stations in your area. If close, you could walk it in and they will fix it for free. I live near a large city so it's easy for me.
Bill

Wow, that sounds easy but there are no service centers anywhere near me :mecry:

That's not really a switch, it presses the battery into the dual springs in the lamp/charging point assembly. you could remove the lamp mount assembly, make the contact springs a bit longer, so they are stiffer, and press against the battery when the tailcap is pressed.

I removed the face cap assembly exposing the plastic lamp mount assembly. Im really good at breaking things and the plastic mount assembly looks like a good candidate; I dont trust myself trying to remove it without explicit idiot proof instructions. I looked around but came up empty. Otherwise I would need to reach down in there with something to grab the springs.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remove the two phillips screws that double as the charge contact points. Remove the small triangle plastic piece that those two screws were screwed into. With a pair of small needle nose pliers, gentley squeeze the two plastic wings that are located inside the head, on opposite sides of the lamp "mount." Careful to squeeze gently while using a pen or unsharpened pencil to push the assembly out of the body. The pen/pencil should be inserted through the rear of the light body, and sometimes the lamp assembly needs to be tapped out of the body.

Pull the two springs to lengthem slightly, clean anything corroded, and reassemble, taking note the orientation of the two screw holes where the two phillips screws screw into the lamp assembly.

rocksan

Newly Enlightened
Excellent instructions, thank you. Yesterday I used a hemostat and grabbed the springs one at a time and gently pulled them up a little. That fixed the dimming problem. The 'action' on the switch seems to be better, maybe thats just my imagination.

The light is brighter, its got me thinking that I dont need to replace the battery, guess I'll have to wait and see (get it? see? I kill me).:crackup:

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent instructions, thank you. Yesterday I used a hemostat and grabbed the springs one at a time and gently pulled them up a little. That fixed the dimming problem. The 'action' on the switch seems to be better, maybe thats just my imagination.

The light is brighter, its got me thinking that I dont need to replace the battery, guess I'll have to wait and see (get it? see? I kill me).:crackup:

Cool..glad it worked. if your battery doesn't have a metal contact point on the opposite end, it's really old, and should be replaced.

twobanger

Newly Enlightened
The pressure switch was a horrible design. I have 2 of them and wish I could swap them over to a clicky switch. I will bite the bullet and just buy the new strion with the click switch and led bulb. Unfortunately I have 4 poly stingers and 2 strions.In their day they were cool but by today's technology they are like manual typewriters.

twobanger

Newly Enlightened
I did buy the led conversion and the lithium battery. Fantastic upgrade buy I am still stuck with the lousy push switch. I did get some relief by dabbing the top of the battery with dielectric grease. It helps with the dim light caused by the poor contact.