Zebralight Red Headlamp H502r soon to be

bsharp5utk

Newly Enlightened
Just thought I'd post this for some others that might have been in search of one Zebralight's highly coveted H51r's. I messaged their sales department inquiring about ways in which I could buy one and the reply I got was that they would be releasing the H502r red led headlamp in the next couple of weeks.

markr6

Flashaholic
I have a feeling they sold very very few of the colored lamps (red and blue). But it's good to hear they still have them in the works for those that use them.

kkeyser

Newly Enlightened
Yaaay, I will now mark my calendar...lessee...December 2017...

Ok, I now await with eager anticipation.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh nice. I picked up the H51r on clearance. It is great but would have loved a floody version. I wonder if they will use an XB-D RED rather than an XP-E? Would be awesome if they used a XM-L multi colour!

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are these XP-E2 emitters? Just wonder if they are bog standard XP-E leds then why is the efficiecy so high compared to when XP-Es were new like some 10 years ago...

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know if these have the new ribbed body design or the old style like it is pictured with?

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's XP-E not XP-E2

You can't trust the Zebralight specs, they are a bit slow in updating it and usually they copy it from one of the other lights.

For a start, you won't get 172 lumen from a red XP-E. Driving it at the max of 700mA over the LED would get you about 140 from the highest available red XP-E and I don't think the XP-E2 is that much more efficient.

Given that it is for a floody light though, I am wondering if they may use an XB-D for a bit more flood?

Dr.444

Enlightened
You can't trust the Zebralight specs, they are a bit slow in updating it and usually they copy it from one of the other lights.

For a start, you won't get 172 lumen from a red XP-E. Driving it at the max of 700mA over the LED would get you about 140 from the highest available red XP-E and I don't think the XP-E2 is that much more efficient.

Given that it is for a floody light though, I am wondering if they may use an XB-D for a bit more flood?

They just updated the specs ...

it's XP-E @ 100 Lumens not 170 :(

& it's the new design :twothumbs

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
They just updated the specs ...

it's XP-E @ 100 Lumens not 170 :(

& it's the new design :twothumbs

In the spreadsheet, still 172 on the website.

Like I said, I don't think there is much advantage in the coloured LED's going from XP-E to XP-E2. 100 lumen is pretty bright, I have the H51r @ 100 lumen so the driver is probably the same and that is really bright. I have to use medium when on my bike.

edit: I should say, there isn't much more to XP-E2 at the currents we are talking about. Over 1A is where the advantage comes in but that is over driving the LED.

Last edited:

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
via their contact page, I asked about output and run-times for the strobe.
Answer:

"The max output is about the same as the H51r. Runtime for the strobe mode is about 1 hour 50min."

Not altogether clear to me whether this is a good fit for biking. Maybe I'll have to try one to be sure....

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not altogether clear to me whether this is a good fit for biking. Maybe I'll have to try one to be sure....

It is no worse than some of the rear lights I've seen on the bikes over here. Some have a cluster of 5mm LED's and are barely visible at 50m (the regulation is must be visible at a minimum of 50m here). With the H51r, medium is better than anything I have seen bar a few wired oned. The problem perhaps with the single LED is the glare but that also the case with the H51r. I actually put it inside a frosted plastic tube and the effect is a long bright tail light.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
...(the regulation is must be visible at a minimum of 50m here)....

Where do you live? Sounds like a good regulation to me! (Although 50m visibility in bright daylight is a very different thing from 50m at night, of course).

I think what I had in mind above is that I wish it would last a bit longer. I like to go on rides of 6, 8, even 10 hours sometimes, and it is a pain to carry 5 AA batteries along. But if the quality of the light is good--nice and bright and covering a wide area--then it may be worth it.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope they come out with an H502Fr version. I still use both my H501r and H51Fr when I go out for a ride, daytime or night.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
True it is flood, though I would prefer the output to be frosted due to glare as Mr. Floppy mentioned above.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I would prefer the output to be frosted....

If they want to offer both a plain lens and a frosted lens, that is fine with me--more options for us!

But to my mind, this is a case where DC Fix does everything I would want from a frosted lens, and is removable, so I get both options with one light.

I have an H602 on my front handle-bars with DC Fix on the lens both to diffuse the light and to widen the cone a bit. Seems to work.

I will say that I'm a bit disappointed that they are still using the XP-E, because it does not seem to be a very efficient emitter for red light. I had a Quark RGB with a four-die MCE, and it put out a lot of red light for a long time. The XP-E has a very small die, so it is still good for making small lights (like AAA format lights) throwier than they would be with a larger die. But in a pure flood light, the small-die emitter is no advantage. Isn't there some other emitter, with any size die, that would give better efficiency for red light?