Inforce WML Mounting options for MOE mid-length handguards

jdgilbert

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have any experience using an Inforce WML with MOE handguards in general (mid-length specifically)? I was thinking that the MOE Scout Mount should work to run the light at the 1 o'clock position, but I have been unable to find where anyone has one in this configuraton.

dss_777

Enlightened
It's doable, as google shows kitup.military.com has a pic of that exact setup. Whether it works for you would all depend on whether that location/switchology is consistent with how you run the gun, I'd think.

jdgilbert

Newly Enlightened
If you can find that link I would appreciate it. I've found every other imaginable combo of WML with various mounts, MOE Scout Mount with various lights but can't find one of the Scout Mount + WML. I like the shape of the WML and the momentary only function for a weaponlight but I don't want to go around my elbow to get to my thumb when it comes to mounting it. A tail-cap light may be just as useful if it's simpler to mount.

jdgilbert

Newly Enlightened
That's the closest I can find too. It makes me wonder if there is a clearance issue with the FSB since I can't find any pics of this setup. Weird. I emailed the WML manufacturers and Magpul hoping they may have some info but doubt I'll get anything on that.

I'm right-handed, I shoot with my thumb over the bore, but the shorter handguard rolls my hand back around to the left. With a 11"+ rail I like to run an AFG and roll the thumb around the top of the rail, but with the mid-length handguards that thumb position puts my elbow and shoulder in a weird position, so I run a stubby vertical grip and the thumb is on the left half of the top of the handguard. It looks like this light and positioning would give me an index point for my thumb as well as having the light controls in a comfortable position. None of the local dealers carry Inforce products so I have no way of trying it before buying. I'm still debating the pros and cons.

This is a do-all upper for home defense and family use, so it's a compromise so it is easier for my wife to use. She has shorter arms and with the stock fully retracted can get almost the same grip as I use with the current setup, but the weight and balance of a full-length rail is too front-heavy for her to comfortably shoot.

dss_777

Enlightened
Sounds like you have put a lot of thought into this. For lots of real-world experience and better recommendations than we can give you here, I'd suggest going over to lightfighter.net and reading the AAR section. Look especially at the shoot-house reports, where alot of low-light stuff is dicsussed. You have to sign up to read most of the site, but it's absolutely worth it. The signal to noise ratio is extremely high.

Best of luck!

jdgilbert

Newly Enlightened
I bit the bullet and got the WML and MOE Scout Mount, I also got one of the cantilevered rail sections in case the scout mount didn't work. The mount will not work in the forward-most slot as the light body and FSB interfere with each other. The light will fit mounted in the next slot back, but I had to mount the light and then attach the mount to the handguard as the mounting rail sits very close to the handguard in that position. All in all it sits in a very comfortable position for both of us and it feels like it will work well. I'm going to do some shooting over the weekend to test it out but I think it will be a winner. I may try mounting it to the cantilever rail piece just to see but I think that is going to put the actuation switch in an uncomfortable position.

WP_20140522_21_56_42_Pro_zps7fcbd99d.jpg

WP_20140522_21_57_10_Pro_zpse93160b5.jpg

WP_20140522_21_57_27_Pro_zpscfa5cbcc.jpg