Best Infinitely Variable Control Ring 18650 Light

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for the best possible light with an infinitely variable control ring that takes an 18650.

Total stock output is not important because I am going to have it modded with an XM-L2 and a current boost on max. I am leaning toward a control ring light with detents so I can tell what mode it will turn on in. I also prefer to have one with an on/off switch so there is no drain from it always being in standby mode.

The Sunwayman V20C seemed to fit the bill, but I don't really like the feel of those grip rings, and the V20C just doesn't look right without it. The new V25C doesn't have any detents so it would be hard to tell what brightness the light will turn on it.

After a lot of searching, I am leaning towards the Jetbeam RRT-21. Outside of the cheap clip which I'll remove, it looks like a great control ring 18650 light with all the features I'm looking for.

Any others I should consider?? Thanks in advance!

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it has detents, isn't it no longer considered infinitely variable?

In any case, my V11R has become my EDC. I know it's only a Cr123 light but I guess I'm speaking for the control ring when I say it's nice to have the adjustability. Also, my eyes aren't good enough to detect a very slight difference in output so the fact that there are not detents and I'm not able to turn it on to the exact same level every time doesn't bother me.

I had questions about Sunwayman quality but this guy has ridden in my pocket for almost a year without issue. I also had the Vinh current/LED mod and that has been great as well.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it has detents, isn't it no longer considered infinitely variable?

Thanks for the input. The detents/stops I'm referring to the ones to indicate the lowest level, highest level, and strobe or SOS. This does not mean the light can no longer be considered infinitely variable.

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
My two Jetbeams with detents in the control ring intensity adjustment area are definitely NOT continuously variable intensity. Intensity changes in large steps. These are a RRT-3 and a TCR10 Titanium. My new Nitecore SRT7 is truly infinitely adjustable but has no detents in the main beam intensity adjustment portion of the ring rotation. It does have ring detents at the ends of the intensity adjustment and for the multiple mode selections outside the intensity adjustment rotation area. Per my understanding the Nitecore SRT6 is the same as the SRT7 but with fewer modes so fewer detents beyond the intensity adjustment area. I really like the SRT7 UI.

ACruceSalus

Enlightened
I have the SRT7 and thought that it was infinitely variable but another CPFer pointed out here that it has 36 steps. The steps are small enough though that I don't notice them under normal use. I'm really enjoying it especially the control ring.

blackbox

Newly Enlightened
+1 for the NiteCore SRT.

Already available with XML2, and I like the detents at the end of the range. I prefer my SRT3 over previous V10R...

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the input. I'm suprised these aren't more popular around here.. I looked at the SRT 6, but it was a little big and bulky and a little too "tacticool". So far nothing beats the Jetbeam RRT-21 IMO for form/function. Just need to update the LED and (hopefully) boost the driver.

Beckler

Enlightened
I too was going for RRT21 until SRT7 came out. I couldn't ignore twice the output and it has more toys to play with. :D RRT21 (and RRT2!) do look great however.

photonmaster

Banned
Peak NP600AS is the best one I have ever had. Smooth, stainless steel control ring and a nice smooth ramping motion and tail switch. I love mine.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
V25cvn sunwayman. The best control ring I have. When it says 0-1500lmit means 0.
Low is the same as hooking up to a power supply. You can adjust from a slight glow . 001lm to 1500lmon the "vn" light. Very well made, great beam characteristics.