SureFire E1D vs. EB1 and E1L on low settings.

hotbossa

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased the new SureFire E1D and have to say that I am impressed. I have been on a single cell SureFire kick lately and wanted to add this to my collection.

I noticed right away that the low is much lower than my E1L or E1B even though they are all rated at 5 lumens. Is anyone else experiencing this? It is almost as if my EB1 and E1L are pumping out 10 lumens and the E1D is pumping out 5. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that the low output of the E1D seems lower than the "5 lumen" modes on some other SureFire lights but I think at least part of the difference in perception is due to the different LED and beam profile. One may truly be producing more lumens than the other but it's possible that it's closer than it looks due to the E1DL spreading its output over a larger area.

At full output I measured my original EB1 at around 10,671 lux and the E1DL at 7,641. If we pretend for a moment that the lights were producing exactly their rated outputs of 200 lumens and 300 lumens respectively then the beam intensity in low mode would be around 276 lux for the EB1 and 127 lux for the E1DL. That's a pretty substantial difference.

I have no ability to measure the volume of light (lumens) so this is just for the sake of discussion. I truly doubt both lights are producing exactly (down to the lumen) their rated output so for all I know, the EB1 could be pumping out 230 lumens on high compared to 299 for the E1DL.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've also noticed the low is lower than advertised. My E1D on low puts out 3 lumens. My E1L-A on low puts out 5 lumens. My EB1T put out 6-7 lumens on low if I'm remembering correctly.

I actually prefer it lower. 3 lumens is about perfect for my preferences.

hotbossa

Newly Enlightened
Cool guys, thanks for the help! That is exactly the info I was looking for. For what it is worth, mine is not flickering like some others have experienced. Cool light, can't wait to try it out later tonight!!!

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Much appreciated. It seems you can count on each for approx 22 hours before issues become evident. Not too shabby, but still not close to 2 days as they've claimed. Oh well...