Taking a longshot - any old pill parts left over for CPF Edition Key Lux?

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

I'm soon to be the owner of an expensive, dim, ten year old light, and am very excited about it!

Since I joined here, I've always wanted a AA Key Lux (as well as just owning a TnC piece), and finally, will be receiving a CPF edition. Oh, and I also love CPF special runs of anything, so this is great! I'm also diggin' the 200mA output for the nice runtimes.

However, due to that low drive current, and the old Lux, it won't be all that bright. If possible, I'd like to make or buy a more powerful spare pill that can be swapped in while keeping the original one stock for when less light and longer run time is desired.

Now, if I understand correctly, the light engine in this version of Key Lux is a sammie type of pill, and not a canister. And, if I can even get parts, my options for Li-ion are essentially direct drive, or a 10.5mm Flupic. Is all this correct?

Does anyone at TnC (or anyone else for that matter) have any old parts laying around to make a pill from? I'd be happy to even obtain a 1.5V 350mA pill from the updated Key Lux if it fits.

Thanks for reading, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Either way though, I'll be proud to own this thing. Nice low serial too... 8/60.

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Bimmerboy,

I am sure I know which one you are talking about. I don't have any updated sammies (pills) for these lights. I (might) be able to make something up that would drop in and be brighter. I am sure I have some pills left here that I can sell you and you can see what you can do with them. You might even try to direct drive them with a Li-ion battery. I think I have done this with one of mine and it still works. This will yield brighter output since you would be driving it with a li-ion battery.

Chris

easilyled

Flashaholic
Sorry to gatecrash this thread but I also always admired the keylux series.
I wonder if a contemporary version could be done in the same design .... except with maybe raw Copper or raw Ti, XP-G2s and AAA?

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Chris,

Thank you very much for the reply!

Sorry for the confusing wording regarding an "updated" pill. To clarify, I think there was a jump from 200mA to 350mA output back in 2004 after the CPF edition. However, some more research is needed as I'm not sure, or don't recall if the more powerful version used a canister (the one with the flats on the head?).

I now have my hot little hands on this thing, and will get some pics of the sammie up today to give a heads up on what we're dealing with. The battery positive contact area is marked "TNC" at the 12:00 position, and "LLW-MJ" at 6:00.

I'll try contacting you this coming week. Looking forward to chatting, and again, thank you!

John

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast
The updated higher output ones were actually threaded modules. They were not in sammie pill form anymore.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pics as promised! Click for full size.

Hehe... couldn't help throwing in this one.

If I'm able to procure extra pills, I've got some nice, unused K2's and SSC's which should boost 'em up a decent amount.

Willing to try one on Li-ion as well. It'll probably fry the converter, but as long as it keeps a current path for direct drive, I'll give it a shot!

With all this said... I'm now also on the lookout for the later KeyLux with the canister. :devil: