KeepPower 18650 3200mah (new Panasonic NCR18650BE cell) quick review

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
KeepPower 18650 3200mah (NCR18650BE cell) Quick Review, Unwrapping Video

I couldn't find any solid info on this somewhat new 3200mah Panasonic cell the NCR18650BE (take note of the "E"!) so I decided to do some quick-and-dirty testing pitting it against the venerable NCR18650B 3400mah. The "BE" is in protected form manufactured by KeepPower, while the "B" is protected as well and was made by Efest.

MvcPoYK.jpg

Let's start w/ some dimensions:

yT4zGge.jpg

78R2elg.jpg

iC9xt4Y.jpg

EoGxjoi.jpg

Then I did 1.0A discharge tests using the Imax B6 (sorry 1.0A is as high as it would go) down to 3.0V. Remember that these cells are rated down to 2.5V therefore these tests won't reveal their full capacities...

UjFfz2b.jpg

B35I3lu.jpg

Results:

The 3200mah "BE" got 2845mah.

The 3400mah "B" got 2968mah.

Conclusion:

About 4% less capacity than the "B". Pretty good value considering that it costs about 20% LESS than the "B".

UNWRAPPING VIDEO:

kqG3Wz7.jpg

PgV1xxp.jpg

zPGkaXE.jpg

tuSEyf8.jpg

Additional info. NCR18650B vs NCR18650BE vs LG MH1:

GYyEScB.jpg

kgxhDJW.jpg

BpZ8yg0.jpg

O9MoVEn.jpg

2PrmmC1.gif

At higher currents the "BE" performs much better than the "B".

Last edited:

dazed1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the test. Unfortunately, until pcb trip protection is tested, we can't know how good they are (or voltage sag)

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E-cig guys over on the FastTech forums were talking about this new cell last week. It's the NCR18650BD, which is a hybrid and an extension of Panasonic's NCR18650PD and NCR18650PF cells. I couldn't find any mention on Panasonic's data sheet PDF and it looks like these are sourced from China, so who know's what's inside the grey wrapped 'BD.'

The first mention of them seems to be in January 2014 and then some samples were used by the vapers in early April, so just a month, or two, back. There's a photo of one hot rodder who torched a couple in his ultra sub-ohm E-cigs, which was interesting to see.

I think that they actually do well, but the VTC-5 seems to be the current (pun intended) 'king' for those guys.

Google Panasonic NCR18650BD. They're billing it as a 3200mAh cell, so I bet this is what we're talking about.

Ehhh...here you go:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...48-panasonic-ncr18650bd-3-7v-3200mah-10a.html

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1674900

You can read about the vapers in 'Discussion Section' in that last link.

I have my doubts about fake batteries and cells, but there you go!

Chris

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
The pcb Trip protection has nothing to do with whether it'sa good cell or not besides to tell you if the protection is good or not. Discharging to the 2.5v cutoff at .2C would tell us the true capacity better but his tests do give us a good idea. Doesn't tell voltage under load but he's just testing capacity and did a good job with the equipment he has. Nice hobby charger by the way. I like mine

Thanks for the test. Unfortunately, until pcb trip protection is tested, we can't know how good they are (or voltage sag)

leaftye

Newly Enlightened
My worst result was very slightly higher, but one test produced over 3000 mAh. One 0.2A discharge to 2.8V was near the typical capacity volume listed on the datasheet.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E-cig guys over on the FastTech forums were talking about this new cell last week. It's the NCR18650BD, which is a hybrid and an extension of Panasonic's NCR18650PD and NCR18650PF cells. I couldn't find any mention on Panasonic's data sheet PDF and it looks like these are sourced from China, so who know's what's inside the grey wrapped 'BD.':candle:

These cells (NCR18650BD) are actually labelled as 'Made in Japan'. So unless Panasonic is doing something shady here, I don't think they are sourced from China.

leaftye

Newly Enlightened
I'm in the early stages of creating a database of all my batteries, but I'm pretty sure I don't have any of those cells at this time, sorry. It doesn't look like HKJ has graphs of those either, and his battery testing queue is months long, so hopefully it's already lined up if we're waiting on him.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I'm in the early stages of creating a database of all my batteries, but I'm pretty sure I don't have any of those cells at this time, sorry. It doesn't look like HKJ has graphs of those either, and his battery testing queue is months long, so hopefully it's already lined up if we're waiting on him.

I finished testing it yesterday, I do not know exactly when I am going to publish the result, there are a couple of other test I expect to publish first.