foursevens quark tactical QT2A vs QT2A-X

pokelda2

Newly Enlightened
I am looking into getting a foursevens quark tatical flashlight. What and im trying to decide between the two mentioned above in the title. Aside from the brightness difference between the two what else is going to be different between them? They both use 2 AA batteries but one puts out ~100 more lumens than the other one does.

weez82

Enlightened
QT2A will have a tighter beam then the QT2A-X. Do a search for reviews of both lights and look at the beam shot. Both are useful but you'll need to figure out what beam will work best for you're needs. What will this light be used for the most?

pokelda2

Newly Enlightened
pretty much will be used for general lighting up the backyard and stuff like that. I like a flashlight having range to it and as for a more floody light I have a fenix pd32 which has a slightly more floody beam to it. Will the 100 extra lumens give the qt2a-x an equal range? or will the one with the more throwy beam still have better range despite having around 2/3 the output?

Etsu

Enlightened
I have both, and for most uses I prefer the QT2A-X. It has a brighter beam (for the first 3 minutes), which mostly compensates for the extra throw you get from the QT2A. The QT2A-X also has a broader spot, which is great for close and moderate distances. Note that the QT2A-X steps-down from max brightness after 3 minutes to prevent over-heating, so for constant use after 3 minutes the QT2A is slightly brighter (since it doesn't step down).

As you likely already know, the QT2A has a tighter spot, which gives you extra throw. Handy for outdoor use, especially at greater distances. But for indoor use, the floodier QT2A-X is much better. And as mentioned, since the QT2A-X is brighter on all modes (except after its step-down from max), the lack of throw is partially compensated by its greater brightness.

The QT2A does have an advantage when it comes to efficiency on low modes, especially moonlight. Its moonlight is a bit dimmer than the QT2A-X (about two-thirds as bright), but it lasts twice as long... a whole month of constant usage! But that's probably far longer than you need, so that advantage is mostly academic.

Overall, they're both great lights, and I don't think you can go wrong with either. But, I give the edge to the QT2A-X (or the QP2A-X which I like even more).