Elzetta Twisty Tail cap

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone taken apart a Elzetta twisty only tail cap? I have one that is not working correctly, and I am not familiar enough with them and was just trying to get as much info as possible prior to jumping in. Any help appreciated. Any photos or schematics would be greatly beneficial as well. :D

Last edited:

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had trouble out of mine or tried taking it apart. Always figured if something did go wrong I would just send it back to Elzetta and let them fix it.

Is there any reason why you can't let them fix it under warranty?

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had trouble out of mine or tried taking it apart. Always figured if something did go wrong I would just send it back to Elzetta and let them fix it.

Is there any reason why you can't let them fix it under warranty?

I E-mailed them and I am going to send it back to them. :thumbsup: I just thought if there was something fairly easy that I could do to save me from having to send it back to them.

There's this thread, with some pics: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?343482-Fun-with-Elzetta-hi-low-and-SF6P-host

I hope it could give you some ideas...

Thanks for the link. I remember that thread, but I just couldn't find it for some reason. I just noticed that the inside of my tail cap is missing the white plastic part that goes around the spring and thin metal washer type ring. I am not sure if that has anything to do with the issue.

dss_777

Enlightened
Brought the answer from there over here:

I realize this is an old thread, but does anyone know what the white plastic part does that is inside the tail cap and is around the spring?

I'm pretty sure the white plastic is an insulator, and keeps the silver ring from contacting the end/wall of the body until you screw it down, completing the circuit to turn it on. The light body contacts the pos. end of the battery (through the dropin), and the tail-end center spring contacts the neg. end. You complete the circuit when pushing the switch down or screwing it down. At least that's how the Surefires work, just arranged a little differently.

I assume the switch is broken (a short?), but that's assuming you've made the light work with a different tail cap. If it won't work with any tailcap, then it's somewhere else in the circuit.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I E-mailed them and I am going to send it back to them. :thumbsup: I just thought if there was something fairly easy that I could do to save me from having to send it back to them.

Gotcha. Hopefully they will get it turned around quickly for you. :thumbsup:

. . . I just noticed that the inside of my tail cap is missing the white plastic part that goes around the spring and thin metal washer type ring . . .

My twisty tailcap doesn't have the white ring either. It's only present on my high/low and high/strobe caps.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to update. I sent the tail cap back to Elzetta. After about 2 weeks I received it back from them with an Email stating that there was nothing wrong with the twisty/rotary tail cap. I tried it on my 2 cell. It still does not work. I tried it on my 3 cell. It still does not work. I tried it with a variety of battery configurations, without change to working function. I have a high/low tail cap that I purchased with my 3 cell. The high/low tail cap works with both the 2 cell and 3 cell. So I know the lights work. I have to place issue with the twisty tail cap. I have since sent the entire light back. I must admit that I am a little dismayed with regard to the entire incident.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup. It definitely stinks. The twisty/rotary did not work in either mode. Neither momentary (push) on or twist on. And it did not work on either host. Not sure as to why only the high/low worked and the twisty didn't.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Twistys are all about that metal disk and the bottom of the body. SF uses a large disk that works with everything. Elzetta uses a small disk that can be temperamental.

Could you see the disk moving? Do you remember feeling if the disk hit the body or did it want to keep going? Are your bodies bored?

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure Dan, I could not see the if the disk was moving or not. The 2 cell was bored. And my 3 cell is bored.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Two possibilities come to mind:

The switch/disk isnt working/moving so it can't touch the body
The switch/disk is a smaller diameter than the body, so it can't touch it

If you can feel the disk moving when pushing the button, its probably the later.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was looking at it, the disk did look a little smaller than the overall inside diameter of the host. I didn't think that 1mm would make it so that the disk wouldn't touch. I may have been able to just take the switch apart and make a disk that was a little bigger. Too late now. Interesting though that the high/low click switch worked on both of the hosts, and the twisty/rotary switch did not. :???:

dss_777

Enlightened
I am not sure Dan, I could not see the if the disk was moving or not. The 2 cell was bored. And my 3 cell is bored.

Did they come from Elzetta bored? It'll be interesting to see how they deal with this.

Thanks for the update, btw. Hope you get it sorted quickly.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. Elzettas do not come bored. They are strictly CR123A celled lights. Oveready bores them to fit 18 mm cells.