Sunwayman D40A rust?

Bruno28

Enlightened
Hello,

I have a sunwayman D40A that I just bought online and realised i have rust on some areas of the bezel.
Very odd to see this on a popular brand light like this. Ive never had any of this on Fenix, olight or Thrunite

I tried cleaning it, but seems to be deeper than just the surface.

Please let me know your thoughts

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Interesting, unusual to see that in lights with Type III anodize. Certainly worth sending it back, if that is doable.

Bill

Bruno28

Enlightened
Interesting, unusual to see that in lights with Type III anodize. Certainly worth sending it back, if that is doable.

Bill
I find it weird too, specially because its aluminium isn't it? and the rust is on the Anodising.
Sending it back will be so expensive since I'm in Australia, will probably be 50% of light price.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Give the dealer and or the manufacturer a link to this thread. They might be able to help you re shipping. CPF is pretty well known world wide.

Bill

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very strange! I just checked my D40A and it is clean. No rust spots. Nice light. I hope your dealer can exchange it! Good luck!

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
prob some noob cutting/grinding iron and the sparks hit the light. On my previous work (making and installing alu doors and windows) we had to make sure the sparks from cutting iron went nowhere near the brand new alu or glass. Will leave rust marks thats really hard to get rid of. Now i make glass fiber boats, same thing. Really improtant to make sure those sparks go in a safe direction, and not hitting the new product. It will stick to the product and later leave rust marks.

kj2

Flashaholic
prob some noob cutting/grinding iron and the sparks hit the light. On my previous work (making and installing alu doors and windows) we had to make sure the sparks from cutting iron went nowhere near the brand new alu or glass. Will leave rust marks thats really hard to get rid of. Now i make glass fiber boats, same thing. Really improtant to make sure those sparks go in a safe direction, and not hitting the new product. It will stick to the product and later leave rust marks.
You need to read his post first, before making accusations..

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Problems with sparks flying is they can burn stuck, then rust. Or just rain down on the wrong spot on the wrong time, and later give millions tiny spots of rust. Who knows what have happend under every step of production of that light. A crate of tubes might easely be in the fireline of a grinder/cutter. And inside a industry facility there are often lots of other jobs going on when assembly is still going strong. Like moving bolted down production machinery, eletricians installing stuff etc.etc. Been working 18 years in indusrty, 7 of them dealing with anodised aluminium doors, windows and facades. I have seen my share of rust spots from sparks flying in the wrong places. On big crates of glass, aluminium products and even million $ boats.
I might be all wrong. But, it's where I think those rust spots are coming from. The rest of the light where its easely cleaned, seems to have no rust spots. The rust is only in between the fins where its prob not being cleaned under any step of the production run. It's a hard spot to clean.

kj2

Flashaholic
Problems with sparks flying is they can burn stuck, then rust. Or just rain down on the wrong spot on the wrong time, and later give millions tiny spots of rust. Who knows what have happend under every step of production of that light. A crate of tubes might easely be in the fireline of a grinder/cutter. And inside a industry facility there are often lots of other jobs going on when assembly is still going strong. Like moving bolted down production machinery, eletricians installing stuff etc.etc. Been working 18 years in indusrty, 7 of them dealing with anodised aluminium doors, windows and facades. I have seen my share of rust spots from sparks flying in the wrong places. On big crates of glass, aluminium products and even million $ boats.
I might be all wrong. But, it's where I think those rust spots are coming from. The rest of the light where its easely cleaned, seems to have no rust spots. The rust is only in between the fins where its prob not being cleaned under any step of the production run. It's a hard spot to clean.

So you where talking about a worker at the factory. Thought you were talking about the OP ;) Sorry.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hehe im not suspecting bruno28 at all :) Have to be somewhere along the line of production. And i know by experience that one noob sprinkeling some iron dust in the wrong places, is all it takes to ruin the finish of a product. So thats what im guessing.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great explanation. I cannot think of any other way for there to be rust on aluminum which doesn't "rust" like iron does and in a way that we would see like this.

I cannot see it getting any worse. It is a great light - enjoy it!! I've got so many great lights that this one is going to do glove compartment duty, throw some eneloops or lithiums in it and it will be good to go.

Latest posts