How reliable are these LED lights? Others having troubles?

wvdavidr

Newly Enlightened
Hello everybody,
I just had my third dead light this year. I don't abuse (or even use on turbo much). I have returned a Fenix PD35 and (today) an Eagletac G25C2 MK. II Neutral White. I had a Fenix LED headlamp that was draining batteries. I threw it away.

My question: Are others having such bad experiences? I'm feeling like sticking to cheap lights and throwing dead ones away.

Thanks for any feedback.
Dave

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
All lights have their problems. I would try a Malkoff or surefire.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that sounds like pretty bad luck....Out of how many purchases?

I own at least 2 dozen lights, and have purchased at least 2 dozen more as gifts, or for friends and family, in the mid-priced range - say $40-$100. Of those, I've returned 4 immediately with out of the box issues (RRT-0, S15, Quark, MDC AA). Aside from that, knock-on-wood, I've had zero failures with any of my lights (course, the more lights we own, the less we can use each one), and am not aware of any failures with the lights that I have gifted or purchased for others (and I try and keep track). That said, I probably buy, own, gift, and use, Foursevens lights more than all others combined due to their coverage of common batteries (AA/AAAs) and US-style warranty, customer service, and location.... and they go on good sales a few times a year ;).

Charles L.

Enlightened
No failures for me with more than 15 mid-priced lights ($25 to $100) over the past 4 years. I've been quite impressed with all of them (well, except for one that works fine but failed to live up to its hype).

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Hello everybody,
I just had my third dead light this year. I don't abuse (or even use on turbo much). I have returned a Fenix PD35 and (today) an Eagletac G25C2 MK. II Neutral White. I had a Fenix LED headlamp that was draining batteries. I threw it away.

My question: Are others having such bad experiences? I'm feeling like sticking to cheap lights and throwing dead ones away.

Thanks for any feedback.
Dave

What cells/charger are you using?

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everybody,

Thanks for any feedback.
Dave

It's impossible to say without more detail, I have had very few issues though. What were the problems with the fenix and eagletac?

Also, I would guess that the 'draining batteries' of the Fenix headlamp was simply down to Ni-mh self-discharge rather than an issue with the light itself. What batteries did you use?

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everybody,

Thanks for any feedback.
Dave

It seems you have had bad luck.Always buy from a proper source with a proper warranty.If you buy from places like the flea many are just scammers and selling fakes.

wvdavidr

Newly Enlightened
To answer a few questions:
The problems I had with the Eagletac and Fenix PD35 were the lights didn't work- clicking produced no results. They were not old or abused in any way.
The batteries were Eagletac and the charger is a Nitecore. I'm sure it's not the batteries. The same batteries taken out of the Fenix and Eagletac drove my other lights fine. They were fully charged and contacts were clean.
The Fenix headlamp was draining batteries while off. Even an Eveready Lithium battery lasted a week or so. Duracell alks. last a week or so also.
The flashlights and batteries were bought from the two most popular dealers (from what I can tell) here- nothing from eprey! Lets say BJ and GG.
Out of how many?: I have several (or more) other lights. Out of about 10 Fenix lights, just the headlamp and PD35 failed, but is that a good average? None of my Olights (about eight) or Surefires (2) have failed.

Do you think it's just bad luck that will change? Any ideas?
Thanks,
Dave

Newguy2012

Enlightened
The switch could get loose from uses over time. If you hear anything rattle you should tighten the switch.

braddy

Enlightened
It doesn't have to rattle, I own a PD35 and had to tighten the switch.

Which Fenix headlamp did you throw out?

wvdavidr

Newly Enlightened
The dealer(GG) received the Eagletac. They confirmed that it is defective. It's off for a 2-3 mo. trip to China. It'll be outdated by the time I see it again! I think I'll go to Wally or HD..

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sucks - I've had a couple of lights go belly up, but I've had most of them last for years.

That said, I tend not to spend a lot of money on sophisticated, high-end lights. That may (or may not) factor into the overall experience. A single or dual mode Surefire or Malkoff is about as expensive as I go.

wvdavidr

Newly Enlightened
After 3 failures in a year, my new rule will be "Don't buy any flashlight that you wouldn't throw away if it fails." After all, they're tools- you'd throw away a broken wrench, hammer, etc., right?

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
After 3 failures in a year, my new rule will be "Don't buy any flashlight that you wouldn't throw away if it fails." After all, they're tools- you'd throw away a broken wrench, hammer, etc., right?

Nope. Buy Craftsman hand tools. Unlimited transferable lifetime warranty. And if you only buy lights cheap enough to toss out, you will be missing out.

I've purchased about 25-30 lights total. Two arrived DOA, were immediately replaced at no charge. One had a switch problem that I easily repaired myself. And two have had driver issues (inability to maintain turbo output). Haven't had any die on me.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope. Buy Craftsman hand tools. Unlimited transferable lifetime warranty. And if you only buy lights cheap enough to toss out, you will be missing out.

I've purchased about 25-30 lights total. Two arrived DOA, were immediately replaced at no charge. One had a switch problem that I easily repaired myself. And two have had driver issues (inability to maintain turbo output). Haven't had any die on me.
Well to be fair, those lights the OP was referring to aren't exactly cheap. They may be cheaper than some higher end brands here which I faithfully bought, but they ain't no cheapie products by average consumers standards. I would be pissed if they failed too. I have had very bad experiences with Nitecore products. The only Nitecore product that hasn't failed me is the TM-26, and maybe because it is something I hardly uses.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well to be fair, those lights the OP was referring to aren't exactly cheap. They may be cheaper than some higher end brands here which I faithfully bought, but they ain't no cheapie products by average consumers standards. I would be pissed if they failed too. I have had very bad experiences with Nitecore products. The only Nitecore product that hasn't failed me is the TM-26, and maybe because it is something I hardly uses.

Yes, I agree that the discussed lights weren't cheap. But he said he was reconsidering, and might not buy anything that he wouldn't throw out if it broke...that would rule out not only high-end lights, but also most of the mid-range. Not that you can't get a good budget light these days - they have come a long way recently - but he will be missing out on some of the best values/features out there.

Sorry to hear about your problems with Nitecore. I have more Nitecore than any other brand, and I've never had a problem. All of them still work flawlessly.