Can anyone here identify this dime?

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
fa7dd4f3.jpg

I found this dime among my change and I was just wondering if anybody can identify it or tell me anything about it. Is it worth anything or is it just like a bicentennial quarter or one of those pennies that have the words 'one cent' printed on the back? Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is called a "Mercury" dime. Made of 95% silver. The silver is worth about 50 cents or so. I can't tell the date and mint mark -- don't know if there is any numismatic value.

It might make a good heatsink!

Paul

paulr

Flashaholic
That's called a Mercury dime. They all looked like that til the Roosevelt dime was introduced in the mid or late 1950's. Like all dimes made before 1965, it is made out of silver and therefore worth considerably more than 10 cents (that means, like, 20 or 30 or even 50 cents, depending on the current price of silver) even if you just melt it down. However, aside from the silver value, I don't think the one you have is especially collectable. So yes, it's worth more than 10 cents, but probably not more than a buck or so.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info guys. I think it was 1941, but I can't even find it now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif Oh well, I was hoping to buy myself an island and fund my flashaholism with this dime, guess not. Hehehe... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif What can I get for $0.50??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well hey if ya ever have a werewolf problem youre all set!lol but it is still cool to have a dime that old it must have history

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sinjz said:
Thanks for the info guys. I think it was 1941, but I can't even find it now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif Oh well, I was hoping to buy myself an island and fund my flashaholism with this dime, guess not. Hehehe... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif What can I get for $0.50??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, if it was a 1943 copper penny, it would be worth about $100,000. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Penny

Dan

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep Mercury dime, back from the days when US coins were really worth something, made from real gold and silver. Heck a coppy penny isn't even copper anymore. Copper plated zinc and dangerous for kids to swallow it the plating is nicked. Stomach acid will eat away the zinc.

I'd keep it as a reminder of what real money is.

GregR