Which p60 drop in for weapon light?

tjiscooler

Newly Enlightened
I've got a super old 6p led from sure fire on my rifle. I'm looking to upgrade with a new drop in. I'm looking for a neutral tint led with decent throw but a good heavy spill. Plenty bright but at least an hour runtime or so. Just one output needed. I was lookin at the malkoff m30 maybe but id like some suggestions from you folks first . Will be my first try with a drop in replacement. I'm running 2 cr123a sometimes rechargeables.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're running 2 x CR123a, your voltage is too high for the m30 but any of the m60 series LEDs will work. The newer Malkoff drop-ins that use the newest XP-G2 LED are the M61s. They actually come in a neutral tint variant (M61n). They are not as throwy per lumen as the M60 but because they put out so much more overall light, they actually throw further overall. The M61 will handle any combination of cells you put in it. 2 CR123a, 2 rechargeable 16340, or a single 17670.

Finally, Malkoff's drop-ins were designed for use with and affixed to weapons. They're extremely well built and will serve you well.

There are other drop in makers around here whose products I own and recommend as well (Vinh, Nailbender, etc) but for the application you've described, I wouldn't look any further than the Malkoff M61n.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't go wrong with a Malkoff drop-in!

From what you described, I believe you will be wanting one of the current M61 series drop-ins. There are also M60 (spot beam) and M60F (flood beam) versions available from Elzetta. The M60 has a tighter beam than the M61 but comparatively very little spill. The M60F has a very broad and even spill but not very much throw. The M61 has 50% more output than the M60s and provides a more balanced beam with good spill and respectable throw.

The M61 is available in a neutral tinted version while the M60s are only available in cool white. Beamshots of the cool white versions of all three are shown below. Click each image for a larger version.

Last edited:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Malkoff M61N is a great neutral option.

They are on even on sale right now at a Nailbender/Vinh price.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
take a look at the sportac drop ins, they are brighter very well made and not expensive, just another choice........

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Wouldn't you want something with more throw??

A drop-in using an xp-g2 in a deep smooth reflector,, good throw & zero rings

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
take a look at the sportac drop ins, they are brighter very well made and not expensive, just another choice........

It's a great option for a handheld/hobby light, but I'm not sure the Sportacs have been out long enough to generate enough feedback to say whether or not they are going to be durable in the long run, or for weapons mounted use. I'd love to see someone do a torture test, though.

<---- Sportac Nichia 219 triple owner