McGizmo Lunasol 27 update: LS27.8

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Playing off the LS20.1/2/3 names that discern the size of reflectors used (LS20.2= 12mm reflector) the LS27.8 Utilizes an McR18 reflector.

Just like offered in the modified LS20, the LS27.8 has 4 levels of light for both the refector and the flood beams. This is accomplished by using the drivers from the L3 Illumination L10 AA lights.
These are AA lights that use the 1.5v batteries. Myself and others have been running these on 3.7v rechargeables without issue while making sure to throttle back when the light gets very warm/hot.
I've also been using 3v primary CR123's with no issue.

The neck section of the LS27 is different from the LS20 in that there is an inner lip that doesn't allow mounting a new driver and still having room for the set-screw that holds the original driver/contact assembly in place to the heatsink. This means mounting them elsewhere.

It is also possible to use 2 x GDuP drivers. This may give the nessasarry room to allow the use of an McR20 reflector. I'll report back with my findings. These drivers cost more but allow the owner to choose what levels they want by having The Shoppe set them up.

Using the sides of the large aluminum heatsink, pockets, slots, and holes where milled to house 2 drivers that are a stacked design. Meaning there is a main contact board with another piggybacked on top. I desolded the 3 legs and separate them. Once in the pockets, the leads will be soldered back in place. A tiny hole was drilled and tapped to allow the original driver/contact assembly back in place. This is used for power and ground contacts.

photobucket-9499-1401024398174.jpg

photobucket-5594-1401024332107.jpg

IMG_2607.jpg

IMG_2608.jpg

IMG_2626.jpg

An McR18 reflector will have an XP-G2 behind it and an XM-L2 above providing the flood beam. This also has a cover bezel to give the light a finished look and hiding all wires. It also helps retain the reflector.

When I have more time, I'm going to try a revision to the angle the drivers sit at in order to make more room as I'd love to get an McR20 in there. It's one of my favorite reflectors, providing one of the cleanest and most useful beams. I think using 2 x GDuP drivers will free up the needed room.

I need to order another host light to strip the driver from as I only have one, before this can be completed. Luckily I can still use one beam in the meantime.

I'll have to update the thread later when it is up and running.

EDIT: Up and running.

IMG_2673.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

chipwillis

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is one of my favorite lights, I really like the up grade. I might have to buy one for this reason.... nice job....

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice job, Tim! I'm debating on getting either an LS20 or a LS27 for your mod. It would be neat if you could fit an XP-G2 with a McR20 reflector and still maintain an XM-L2 for the flood!

jalal20

Enlightened
The first thought that came to my mind was the possibility to use this same mod on an aqua ram. Possible or am I just dreaming ?:)

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tim - I've got a question on these driver mods. Are you still using the HiLo switching mechanism on the driver board where the kilroy is the main positive power feed and the chrome surround Hi contact is just a high impedance contact to trigger power feed to the Hi driver. Or, have you separated the power feeds where the kilroy is now powering the low levels exclusively and the the chrome ring becomes and actual power feed versus a trigger?

What I am really wondering is how you are bypassing the boost circuit driver normally intended to boost 3V up to 9 or 18V on the 3 or 6 3mmLEDs of the LS20 and LS27, respectively, and still maintain the hi/lo switching. This boost circuit is highly inefficient and wastes up to 60mA even when driving the single XML2 flood at close to 5mA with a series resistor.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the comments guys!:)

jalal20, I have yet to experience the Auqumule or Auqaram and so am unsure of this type of mod working in those lights.

KuanR, I'm starting to think the only way to make the McR20 fit is to use 2 x GDuP drivers to allow more room For the LED. I will be at least attempting it to see.
A few years back, I had made a (LunAleph) using Aleph 2 head that had both a 20mm reflector and an XP-G flood and had made a small kilroy that stuck partway out of a slot I made in the E-can and worked by losening the head for flood or tighten for both beams. If I could make it all fit in that small space, I don't see why I can't do the same in here.

Sean, The original driver is only used for it's power and ground contact points. No LED is powered by the original driver.
I am simply using the main power (+) contact point to supply power to both drivers and where one drivers ground is supplied by the kilroy (flood) and the other drivers ground is the chrome contact ring (reflector).

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the information. I had assumed you went that route but was just checking.

One more question on those L10 drivers which you are using. The light is only spec'ed for a AA size/voltage cell. Have you had any issues running it of CR123 or LiIon Cells? If you have can you tell me what drive levels you are getting at the different power settings?

The one thing I find really cool about this light is that the McR18 is the same reflector used in the Spy007 series of lights. I had always wished that Dave came out with a "Two-V" light that had flood and reflector ability as I use those two more than throw.

The McR20S would be an amazing reflector in there. It is the reflector I've used in all my McGizmo McLuxIII PD upgrades and is amazing with a XP-G2 in there. That would really bring your LS27.8 to a new level. But what would you call it? The LS27.20 or LS27.2 - the coding becomes confusing. ;)

Maybe you'll also try a XP-L in that reduced flood space. Then you can really push the power to the flood without worrying about over-driving it.

BTW - it is really great to have you more active back on the forums lately. You're concepts and custom work have been bringing back a new sense of excitement to CPF for me. :D

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW - it is really great to have you more active back on the forums lately. You're concepts and custom work have been bringing back a new sense of excitement to CPF for me. :D

This is exactly how I feel. Having Tim back is making me want to hunt down a LS20 or LS27. This is like a refined EDC version of a Tri-V because I also rarely used the aspheric.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sean, I appreciate the remarks and am kind of surprised how flashlights have stayed in the forefront of my interests/hobbies.

As for the L10 drivers being used.., I, along with others haven't had any problems with the higher voltage batteries in the L10 lights. Just like any other light, it's important to throttle back when it starts to get too warm/hot. Fortunately that big heatsink seems to be doing its job. The levels are slightly different due to the higher voltage. Low (moonlight mode) seems about the same but, the next 3 levels are slightly brighter than when running on 1.5v.

I also wish Dave would come out with a Bi-V (Lol!) as I too didn't use the aspheric much at all. Generally a reflector and flood are all I need and so the LS20. or LS27. seems to work better for my prefered light, although the ability to program levels is lost, unlike the Cool Fall lights.
The McR18 is anice refector but the McR20 is in my opinion about the best reflector ever made and why I'd love one in my light. It also looks really nice taking up most of the space in the LS27 head. I had also thought about the naming and how if the McR20 is feasible, that it'd likely be named the LS27.20...it's a bit confusing...:ohgeez:

I will definetly be looking into the smaller footprint XP-L for the flood. Sounds like a winner!

It's nice to be back on the forums more often and hopefully I have some ideas to contribute. Thats nice of you to say, Sean.:eek::wave: It's nice to hear ones work helps to motivate others.

KuanR, thank you as well and when you do find one, let me know if I can help.

Last edited:

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
DeFab, that is some AMAZING work man. :twothumbs
The machine work on the heatsink is really something else, can't wait to see beam shots.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. :)

An order came in todays mail with some L10's so I was able to move forward with this and get it working.
The reflector was wired to come on first. The beam is the smooth as can be with nice throw, and a strong hotspot with even transition to spill.

So far I'm happy with the way it turned out although have a few small revisions that will be made to the next one.
As said earlier, this would be about perfect if I could just fit and McR20 in there...Lol!
I'm determined to make happen and will add an update here when I have news to report...
Making all this fit was already a pain, so an LS27.20 is an interesting challenge worth consideration, IMO.

IMG_2673.jpg

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking forward to your later updates. Is there a reason why you chose to wire the reflector to go on first?

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
. Is there a reason why you chose to wire the reflector to go on first?

Because it was late and I was tired and not paying well enough attention when soldering the ground wires to their respective locations...:crackup:(Both are black wires)
It's corrected now and while the reflector looked cool being on by itself, the spot from the reflector wasn't blending well with the flood when on low.

Had a chance to use this for a while outside before bed last night, and am very happy with the amount of flood from the XM-L2 and was impressed by the throw from this emitter/reflector combo.

Last edited:

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received my LS27 from Shado today. Now to decide what I want to do with it....Robert

Olor1973

Newly Enlightened
Just received my LS27 from Shado today. Now to decide what I want to do with it.