Let 'em Laugh

MDJAK

Newly Enlightened
People sometimes look at me and say: you collect what?

I reply proudly: I collect flashlights.

Yesterday i I had a pipe break outside my foundation wall. Had to dig a 3x3 foot hole about 20 inches deep to get to it. Emergency plumbing service came about 8pm. Didn't have correct pipe. Went to Home Depot and he returned about 9:30, pitch dark, heavy rain and thunder. He had a small weak light, slightly more powerful than a birthday candle.

While he laid on his stomach in the mud, rain pouring down, I stood over him with my Surefire headlight and a Fenix. (I thought the Abyss might be slight overkill). Ever see those night time paving crews with those lights that make the night like day?

You get the idea. Once he cut the pipes out, he measured up the new ones, put in the elbows, and presto, done. For a mere $800 later and well worth it. Saved my basement from flooding.

So yeah, they can look amused/confused all they want. I'm/we are prepared to turn night into day when necessary.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I had a plumber working in my bathroom with is cellphone as his light.

I kept popping in to show him stuff he was missing.

bansuri

Enlightened
Nice job! They don't realize they need a nice light until they need a nice light.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a good laugh the other day. This guy shows me his $1.00 coin cell light. He turns it on and says "it's pretty bright". All I can do is smile and walk away.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're preaching to the choir here. Among all the things I've read about or seen people collecting, flashlights are both relatively practical, and low cost. Many "collectibles" have no practical uses whatsoever, which is fine. But it is definitely a perk that flashlights are very useful...for me, they make my job easier every single day. And although I don't NEED lights very often outside of work, they sure do come in handy at times. All it takes is one experience when they need light, and don't have it...

beamis

Newly Enlightened
When I bought my home, the HVAC inspector was crawling around in my attic with one of those plastic Eveready incandescent jobbies. When I used my TK-41 to light stuff up on occasion he didn't even seem to notice. Some people just don't care.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work in a business where a flashlight is almost a necessity, yet a lot of my coworkers depend on their cell phone lights to get the job done. One day one of them was struggling to position his cell phone so that he could work hands-free to accomplish the difficult task of putting a lamp in a projector (think of a glass globe the size of a softball that can explode in your face if handled incorrectly), and he asked me if I could hold his phone for him. I offered him my HDS Rotary and said, "How about a real flashlight instead?" He jumped at the offer, and his job was much easier as a result.

I've become increasingly convinced that cell phone "flashlights" are a novelty at best and a poor substitute for a real flashlight.

kj2

Flashaholic
When I tell people I'm a flashaholic, 90% of them give me that look like; You're what?! You collect what?!
It still amuses me :p

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a few years I seem to have changed my workmates' views regarding decent lights. Because of me, two of them have Foursevens QTAs, one has a QPA, another has a QT2L with a Solarforce Z2 for backup, and a 26650 MMU in his bag. Three more have Z2s as well.
I also don't hear any funny comments anymore.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
You made me laugh reading that post.it seems the UK professional trades person are far more organised and show up to the job with proper tools including a decent torch.Thanks god we have Trade Stores in the UK.:thumbsup:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
You made me laugh reading that post.it seems the UK professional trades person are far more organised and show up to the job with proper tools including a decent torch.Thanks god we have Trade Stores in the UK.:thumbsup:

Seriously, we have trade stores here too, but, the items are way over priced compared to what we can get from online light stores, etc....and the products are all maglights, Lensers and 6v lanterns and crap, nothing that even has equivalent performance to the good stuff out there. If they do have at least a streamlight, its ~ 2x the price, and so forth.

YOU should come to the US, and open trade stores that sell good stuff cheaper than online, just like you have in the UK!

We'd FLOCK to your store!

:thumbsup:

I think its why a lot of the trades here show up with their cell phone or some dim yellow donut machine...the places they get catalogs from in their industry have stuff they think is too expensive, and, they HAVE a light on their phone afterall...

:D

I was at a building that a home inspector was at, with a INCAN maglight (Dim yellow donut machine)...and after seeing him not notice some things of concern, I showed him that my keychain light gave better light than this 4 D cell club. I recommended that there are better lights now a days, and that he should consider upgrading.

His reply was that "If you can't inspect with a dim light, then you're not that good an inspector".

My reply was that it sounded like he was announcing his retirement.

:crackup:

Last edited:

67RS/SSx2

Newly Enlightened
On May 31, 2014 a very large tornado (estimated to be 4.5 miles in width) struck the area around El Reno, OK. The Canadian Valley Technology Center just east of El Reno took a devastating hit. My son is in IT there and was working with his coworkers to salvage/recover anything they could the following morning. In the rubble was the bookstore and what was left of its inventory (including a few flashlights and some batteries).

My son was told to gather flashlights and batteries to get him through the next few days as they had no power and were working nearly around the clock. My son's supervisor looked puzzled when my son only took two AAA batteries as others were taking packages of batteries. "Don't you think you'll need more?", he asked. My son's reply was "No" and he showed his supervisor a little Fenix LD01 (he also carried a Surefire G2X Pro in his truck).

His coworkers took notice of the performance of "real" flashlights over the next few days of salvage/recovery work. A short while after the urgency had died down a further discussion ensued. Now each worker has a Fenix LD01 and a Surefire G2X Pro (including replacements for my son's personal lights).

That team consists of mostly young men. I guess you could say they are fast learners! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
...His coworkers took notice of the performance of "real" flashlights over the next few days of salvage/recovery work. A short while after the urgency had died down a further discussion ensued. Now each worker has a Fenix LD01 and a Surefire G2X Pro (including replacements for my son's personal lights).

What a great story. Those guys will be well prerpared for the next situation. :thumbsup:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seriously, we have trade stores here too, but, the items are way over priced compared to what we can get from online light stores, etc....and the products are all maglights, Lensers and 6v lanterns and crap, nothing that even has equivalent performance to the good stuff out there. If they do have at least a streamlight, its ~ 2x the price, and so forth.

YOU should come to the US, and open trade stores that sell good stuff cheaper than online, just like you have in the UK!

We'd FLOCK to your store!

:thumbsup:

I think its why a lot of the trades here show up with their cell phone or some dim yellow donut machine...the places they get catalogs from in their industry have stuff they think is too expensive, and, they HAVE a light on their phone afterall...

I was at a building that a home inspector was at, with a INCAN maglight (Dim yellow donut machine)...and after seeing him not notice some things of concern, I showed him that my keychain light gave better light than this 4 D cell club. I recommended that there are better lights now a days, and that he should consider upgrading.

His reply was that "If you can't inspect with a dim light, then you're not that good an inspector".

My reply was that it sounded like he was announcing his retirement.

:crackup:

They are growing rapidly over here and we the punter benefit from there constant competing.One particular store has a more or less permanent radio ad on a sports talk breakfast show and issues a handy full colour catalogue free of charge containing all there lines.

dgbrookman

Newly Enlightened
His coworkers took notice of the performance of "real" flashlights over the next few days of salvage/recovery work. A short while after the urgency had died down a further discussion ensued. Now each worker has a Fenix LD01 and a Surefire G2X Pro (including replacements for my son's personal lights).

What makes a Fenix LD01 worth 3 times the price of a Thrunite Ti2, which is virtually identical in terms of light output? (3 lumens on low, 70 or so on high, runs on a single AAA.)

I'm not being sarcastic -- this is a serious question from someone who likes the Thrunites but is willing to spend more for something similar but better.

67RS/SSx2

Newly Enlightened
I have no experience with Thrunite. I know many on this site like them. My comment about "real" flashlights was meant in comparison to what many people consider to be a flashlight... 2 'C' or 'D' cells and an incandescent bulb. Perhaps other on this site can offer comparisons.

All I can say is that I am very happy with all of my Fenix lights. I probably have close to a dozen of them. I also own several Surefires and a few 4Sevens lights. They all serve their purpose well.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
What makes a Fenix LD01 worth 3 times the price of a Thrunite Ti2, which is virtually identical in terms of light output? (3 lumens on low, 70 or so on high, runs on a single AAA.)

I'm not being sarcastic -- this is a serious question from someone who likes the Thrunites but is willing to spend more for something similar but better.

Without looking at the difference between the lights, the thing that CAN be different even if the lumens are the same, COULD be regulation, where one simply gets dimmer as the cell drains, and the other maintains a constant output...so ones 70 lumens lasts a few seconds, and 20 min later is 30 lumens, and the other is still at 70 lumens.

One might use cells or circuitry that allow a longer run time than the other.

One might have a sickly green beam, and one might have a creamy white beam.

One might be floodier, or more tightly focused.

One might be more durable, have an impact resistant or more transparent lens, a UI that is easier to use, etc.

One might use thicker or better soldered wires or connections.

One might use threading with more overlap or depth, thicker walls, more heat sinking, etc.

Dollars per lumen is a very easy yard stick to use, but, it's not always getting the full measure of a light's value.

You are essentially never given the qa/qc related details of course....and, I can't recall many ads where a maker brags that they saved you money by cutting corners. ..even when they did.

Usually, they claim to be rugged and powerful, and able to hit distant points...not slapped together to hit a price point.

Some simply charge more, so people will ASSUME their light is higher quality. ...and that's the ONLY reason it's more expensive.

:devil:

Last edited:

Enlightened
What makes a Fenix LD01 worth 3 times the price of a Thrunite Ti2, which is virtually identical in terms of light output? (3 lumens on low, 70 or so on high, runs on a single AAA.) I'm not being sarcastic -- this is a serious question from someone who likes the Thrunites but is willing to spend more for something similar but better.
I have both. A Ti2 and the stainless LD01. It's the little things.

I don't like the metal tab switch on the Ti2. I don't like threading the head into the tube (the Fenix tube goes into the head). The Ti2 IIRC is also a battery crusher but it's been a while since I had a look and I don't remember. The Fenix (aluminum version) also has an included clip. Having the 27 lumen medium mode is useful.

Re the stainless version it just feels like a premium product in hand. Re the aluminum version I've seen it in stores in the low 30s and I purchased my Ti2 for $20 so I'm not sure where you are in the world where it costs 3x more. The regular price here is $40 vs $20. Worth double? I think the medium mode makes it worth it.

EDIT: Point made by previous poster. Ti2 isn't fully regulated. That has its pluses and minuses.

dgbrookman

Newly Enlightened
I have both. A Ti2 and the stainless LD01. It's the little things.

I don't like the metal tab switch on the Ti2. I don't like threading the head into the tube (the Fenix tube goes into the head). The Ti2 IIRC is also a battery crusher but it's been a while since I had a look and I don't remember. The Fenix (aluminum version) also has an included clip. Having the 27 lumen medium mode is useful.

Re the stainless version it just feels like a premium product in hand.

Thanks. This is just the sort of evaluation that I was hoping to get.

Re the aluminum version I've seen it in stores in the low 30s and I purchased my Ti2 for $20 so I'm not sure where you are in the world where it costs 3x more. The regular price here is $40 vs $20. Worth double? I think the medium mode makes it worth it.

Right now at Amazon the LD01 is going for $35 and the Ti2 is $10.95. Given your comments I just might spring for the LD01 next time I've got a spare bit of cash (which could be a while :sigh: ).