Lights with magnetic rings squeak over time. New ones better?

passive101

Enlightened
My first magnetic beam was a Jetbeam. I then purchased a Nitecore SRT 3 and an SRT 5. The Jetbeam worked for a couple years without squealing. then it started making noise when being turned sometimes.

The SRT 3 lasted only a few months before it's squeak was so bad that I had to stop using it, because it would wake my g/f at the time up. It was also to loud to be able to quietly switch the modes should I ever need to for anything defensive.

After these problems, I put the SRT 5, in the bug out bag and have been carrying my Fenix PD35 since I know it won't squeak.

Did I just get bad lights? Metal turning against other metal I guess would eventually squeak. There is no way to lubricate these things as far as I can tell. If the SRT 3 is updated in the future, I'd be interested in one or a Jetbeam, but I'm leery from the others I've spent a lot of money on.

Does anyone have some recommendations or have others used their lights in rain or just in general use on a regular basis to compare with my results?

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, never had a problem like that. are you doing something specific that no one else is ? like do you wash your lights in the washing up with plates cups and stuff ? where do you use your lights and what for ?

i have dismantled my nitecore before and lubed under the ring but just because i was curious :) it was loctited shut and tough to open.
you could try dripping a light oil down the side of the ring and rotate it to move it around, keep doing this untill it feels good then just wipe the light clean of any excess.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all I would recommend what zs&tas said...drip some oil into the control ring. It's probably bone dry.

But really? The squeek wakes your girlfriend up? Are you sure it wasn't the light? Or y'know...you just not being asleep?

As to anything defensive...well...people have their own notions about that no doubt, but I'm fairly certain that it wouldn't be an issue in an actual defensive encounter. I've actually been in a few of those...and trust me, they never go like they show in movies/tv. Are you worried that leaving it set to low mode and turning it up to light up an intruder would somehow alert them to your presence? If so then you need to re-think how you would deal with the situation. Turn it up slowly if you have to...or just don't worry about it. I wonder how many posts will get in before someone recommends a Surefire.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it rotates you will get a product in there,suggest a WD40 type product but one that contains ptfe to get rid of your squeak,plenty of professional use aerosols on the market.Pop in your local auto shop and no doubt they will spray your torch for free.

passive101

Enlightened
Its loud enough that maintenance where I work cringes every time I would adjust the light.

I work in housekeeping 2nd shift, but I have to go out to villas and condos walking with no lights down by the lake.

What would be the best oil to try using on it to see if it helps? I've been told that wd40 is a penetrating oil and not for lubrication.

I really like the size of that light as its a bit shorter

Other then that I've taken it just around places in my pockets.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I couldn't disassemble the light, silicone oil sounds good for metal to metal, plus it won't harm rubber I you do get it on Orings. I'd drip it on both edges and turn the ring several times.
If I could take apart the light then Nyogel or heavier silicone grease would be better.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose any light oil that could work its way under the ring would do, but I'd be leery of anything petroleum based as I would want to keep that kind away from rubber. Some Orings withstand petroleum based lubes but I've seen some deteriorate.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I couldn't disassemble the light, silicone oil sounds good for metal to metal, plus it won't harm rubber I you do get it on Orings. I'd drip it on both edges and turn the ring several times.
If I could take apart the light then Nyogel or heavier silicone grease would be better.

Do not use oil,i sell these products as part of my job,nip into a car workshop and get it sprayed with proper stuff,they will do it for nothing i am sure.

passive101

Enlightened
I picked up some heavy duty silicone spray at Ace Hardware. When I first started using it the squeaking actually got worse for a bit. I just kept spraying into the only 2 sides I can access and turning it. the squeaking then stopped! This is a great sign.

Now that I remember this light has gotten wet several times. If lubricant can get in there, do they usually require some type of lubricant? This must mean that water maybe took away the lubricant from the factory?

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 3 or 4 lights with magnetic rings. Never had a squeak! I have some synthetic oil used for oiling fishing reels that would probably work if the silicone does not last --- although it should.... Make use that any oil you use is a full synthetic or silicone. Don't want to hurt those lights!

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Won't motorcycle chain lube work? The kind that is super-watery when applied (good for getting into tight spaces) and then eventually dries and thickens. There are many different types - look on Amazon.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Won't motorcycle chain lube work? The kind that is super-watery when applied (good for getting into tight spaces) and then eventually dries and thickens. There are many different types - look on Amazon.

The dry chain lube would work well as it is o ring safe.

Latest posts